Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!! laundry closet!!

Posted by ukigumo (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 17:40

We just purchased a condo that has a laundry closet with bi-fold doors. The condo is 20 years old and the closet has a 20 year old Kenmore washer and whirlpool dryer. They work, but are not great.(The enamel of the dryer drum is very pitted.)

The closet is 63 inches wide -- no problem there. BUT -- it is only 31 inches deep. We can gain another inch by moving the bi-fold doors out a bit. The closet is right inside the arched entrance to the kitchen, so there is no way to make the closet deeper unless we make the arch opening more narrow, which would be expensive and not that easy.

So what to buy? I had a Bosch Axxis in the past and enjoyed it. But I would like a bigger size. Also, it seems that the Axxis is not what it once was based on reviews I've read. My daughter has a GE harmony which I have used. I am fine with an HE top load, but they all seem too deep, especially the dryers when you figure in the depth for venting.

I could afford the small Miele, but think the weight would be too much for a condo floor. I have looked at Speed Queen -- it would fit, but I would like a few more bells and whistles. Also, the SQ dealer (right here in Wisconsin) had mixed feelings -- he thought SQ was a bit hard on fabrics and preferred to sell them to farmers or people washing dog blankets, etc.

I am only 5'1", so stacking is not a good option. And the closet is wide enough for side by side.

What is the industry doing about this problem? I know there are lots of 20+ year old laundry closets out there, but every w&d, either TL or FL just seem to be getting bigger and bigger. I wish I could get a more compact Samsung TL like shown on their international site -- but not in the USA.

Help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!! laundry closet!!

There are many people in the same boat. I had the same issue but mine are stacked. My set sticks out about 3 inches past the door but not into the room so it works fine. I decided to take the doors off and just look at the machines. You may not like that if yours are side by side. If you can move the door out then that is a good idea. If not, some people use a curtain or just leave it open, like me. Depends on where it is in the house.

o

Is there any way you can find out more information about the (floor) structure in your condo? Since your building is only 20 years old, your condo association (or your city's building department) may have records on file that could help you.

I have the small Miele W3033 and absolutely love it. I'd highly recommend you explore that option first, especially if it fits your budget.

Miele has installation specs online that may help, too.

o

Thanks to you both. You can see the laundry closet from the dining room, so I do not want doors. Miele is a good idea. I have visited their website and looked at the gallery of photos. Cryptandrus, do you have the pedestals with yours? Did you look at the Bosch Axxis before you decided? I checked with the manager and the floor is concrete under the wood, so weight will not be an issue.

o

hi, yes, I do have the washer pedistal. (I don't have the matching dryer.)

I did look at Bosch, but I was turned off by the negative reviews and stories of breakdowns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here