Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janiceme

Help!! laundry closet!!

janiceme
12 years ago

We just purchased a condo that has a laundry closet with bi-fold doors. The condo is 20 years old and the closet has a 20 year old Kenmore washer and whirlpool dryer. They work, but are not great.(The enamel of the dryer drum is very pitted.)

The closet is 63 inches wide -- no problem there. BUT -- it is only 31 inches deep. We can gain another inch by moving the bi-fold doors out a bit. The closet is right inside the arched entrance to the kitchen, so there is no way to make the closet deeper unless we make the arch opening more narrow, which would be expensive and not that easy.

So what to buy? I had a Bosch Axxis in the past and enjoyed it. But I would like a bigger size. Also, it seems that the Axxis is not what it once was based on reviews I've read. My daughter has a GE harmony which I have used. I am fine with an HE top load, but they all seem too deep, especially the dryers when you figure in the depth for venting.

I could afford the small Miele, but think the weight would be too much for a condo floor. I have looked at Speed Queen -- it would fit, but I would like a few more bells and whistles. Also, the SQ dealer (right here in Wisconsin) had mixed feelings -- he thought SQ was a bit hard on fabrics and preferred to sell them to farmers or people washing dog blankets, etc.

I am only 5'1", so stacking is not a good option. And the closet is wide enough for side by side.

What is the industry doing about this problem? I know there are lots of 20+ year old laundry closets out there, but every w&d, either TL or FL just seem to be getting bigger and bigger. I wish I could get a more compact Samsung TL like shown on their international site -- but not in the USA.

Help!!!

Comments (4)