Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_shaver_gw

Time for a new W/D - what's good, what's not.

matt.shaver
13 years ago

Dear All,

Lowes has surprised me to replace our 3 year old Bosch Nexxt 500 set and is sending us a gift card for purchase price plus tax. Although I liked our Bosch W/D the washer has left a bad taste in my mouth and I've been battling it for 4 months...so I'm unsure of the Bosch Vision track record.

Here is what I can get at Lowes:

1. Whirlpool

2. Maytag

3. Bosch

4. Electrolux

5. Samsung

6. Fischer/Paykel

I'd like to replace it with another FL because of the sanitary options. I like the Electrolux but what are your thoughts?

Matt

Spfd IL.

Comments (9)

• gates1
    13 years ago

Out of your list, ID go for the Samsung or Electrolux, more so on the lux for its capasity and larger washer and dryer door opening

• matt.shaver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm sort of tied to Lowes because they are giving us a gift card for the set. I do not think they sell LG. I just want something that is nearly trouble free and works and well built. I do like to Electrolux a lot and the reversible washer door is a winner for me personally.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I read somewhere that the failure rate for most machines is less than 5%. I really think it's a matter of odds.

I've had my FL Frigidaire for 10 years and not one problem.

I'm ordering new ones (Bosch or Miele) and am worried they won't be as trouble free.

I think it's a bit of a "crap shoot" :0

Pick the machine you like the best (features, capacity, etc) and hope you don't get one of the 5%. I'm sure more people are happy with their units than you know (they just don't have anything to complain about so we don't hear from them).

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

If you ask them, Lowe's will probably agree to giving you a check instead a gift card, particularly if it's the extended warranty servicing company that is refunding.

The reason I know this is because of the problems I've had with my 2 year old Electrolux HE front loader. It took me a while to figure out why, as I didn't suspect the machine at first, but after a few months of use, my towels started to smell bad. I thought I wasn't letting them dry enough after using, so I put up new towel bars to they could be spread out to dry instead of on a hook. Then my clothes started to smell. Coincidentally, it was summer, and I thought I must be sweating more than usual, because my supposedly clean shirts would smell like BO shortly after putting them on. I even tried several different antiperspirants before I learned it was not me, but the washing machine.

I found some info on odors and front loaders, and tried every remedy I could to get rid of the odor. I ran the cleaning cycle more often, ran loads of towels with bleach, tried vinegar in the wash, vinegar in the rinse, tried different detergents, used Affresh and Tide brand washing machine cleaners, but the smell kept coming back.

A repairman told me off the record that nothing he or I could do would get rid of the smell. The only advice he could give was that when it was new, I should have started running more frequent cleaning cycles and using the Affresh weekly. It didn't make sense to me to have to run additional cycles and buy additional products (about $9 for three treatments) just to keep it from smelling.

I subsequently discovered an attorney in CA who has filed a class action lawsuit againt Electrolux because they knew about this problem before they started selling the units in the US.

In the end, Electrolux is going to refund me 70% of the purchase price, and the warranty company is refunding me the other 30% and sales tax on the entire purchase price ($1099).

It's interesting that Lowe's, where I bought it, is now listing the unit online for $899 and is not allowing any user reviews on this model. The only reviews up there are good ones.

I'm told by someone in the business that all front loaders smell, but people still buy them because of the advertising. He mentioned a new front loader, either GE or Whirlpool, he wasn't sure, that now has a fan built in the help dry out the machine after use.

Good luck. I'm reading reviews on various websites and none of the washers, front or top loaders, seem very good.

• looser
    13 years ago

I have had my Bosch Nexxt 500Plus set for three years now and don't have any problems with them. They perform very well and there is NO hint of bad odor whatsoever.
    I leave the detergent dispenser flap and the washer door open after every use and I make sure not to overdose detergents. Ocasionally, I clean the rubber gasket, but it really doesn't even get that messy. It collects a little hair and lint, but there is no mold or anything...

I ran an Affresh cycle once so far only as a precaution. There really is no bad smell, trust me, I WOULD complain about it! However, I grew up with front loaders and know how to use them correctly.

Overdosing detergents/fabric softener and not letting the washer dry out are usually the culprit of bad odors caused by mildew/mold. Manufacturers of washing machines should do a better job at educating consumers about the proper use and maintenance of front loaders. However, I think it is silly to file lawsuits and put all the blame on the manufacturers.

I would not hesitate to buy another Bosch set, but I think Whirlpool and Electrolux are also viable options. Good luck!

• drywall_diy_guy
    13 years ago

Frontloading washers are nice. We have a Whirlpool Duet that we use non-stop for about 6+ years now.

With respect to dryers, I would stay away from overly fancy (electronics) and stick with a basic electric in the $300-$400 range. These may be repaired yourself (new belt, heating element, pulley) fairly easily if needed. I was told that models with a lot of electronics have problems that can be fairly pricey. When you think about it, heat + electronics is not a good mix. We have a Maytag Centennial Dryer that works well for us.

• gates1
    13 years ago

never had and smell issues with my 9 yr old FL...my electronic dryer works great too. I dont over the washer with detergent and FB, no additives, not leaving the door open to dry anything and no gasket wiping, None of my friends who have FL's do any of this either

• jorapp
    13 years ago

I just replaced my old Whirlpool front loader pair with a new Whirlpool pair, and can highly recommend Whirlpool laundry machines.

The old ones were great. They worked like champs for years and we never had any problems with them. The "smell" some ppl complain about was never a problem for us because we left the washer door open between loads and did not let damp clothes sit in the washer when the cycle was done.

The new pair have steam and are pretty red...not that color was the first consideration, but they are nice to look at. The new washer seems to use even less water than the old one and gets the clothes very clean.

I think you will be happy with the Whirlpool appliances.

• cynic
    13 years ago

FWIW, some of the HE toploaders have sanitary options too.

Seems to me that most of the problems people have with machines are self-induced. I'd think that "someone in the business" would know this. I don't believe all machines have this trouble unless all owners are misusing their machines and I know that's not the case. Front load washers have been used in laundromats for decades without smell. If it's inherent to them, 'splain that one to me.

I agree that reliability is very close. There's really not that much difference in reality.

I'd like to read the lawsuit against Electrolux, if it exists. Got a link by chance?