Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best FL washer/dryer for 2nd floor laundry room

Posted by mwrede (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 20, 10 at 16:58

I am new to the laundry forum and would appreciate your help. We have a baby due in 4 weeks and we would love to take advantage of the upcoming sales to get a new washer/dryer set. We are looking for an extra large capacity front loading washer and a gas dryer for our 2nd floor laundry room.

We currently have a 5 yr old Kenmore set w/ pedestals that came with the house. The washer is expremely loud and shakes and moves violently every time it spins, plus water doesn't drain fully which makes the washer smell bad. The dryer is ok but would love something that performs better in terms of wrinkles.

I would appreciate any suggestions. What's the best washer/dryer we could get? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best FL washer/dryer for 2nd floor laundry room

An all-brands washer repairperson who has decades of experience (John Shipkowski) says that the washers that are best suited for installation on wooden floors are those from Samsung or the subset of LG washers that have "square" windows in the door. See his post (the fourth message in the thread) in the Consumer Reports Forum thread that is linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread that addresses washer vibration

o

Except during spin, I don't even hear my Electrolux IQ. I probably would save money next time and not get the steam option on both the washer and dryer.

o

I am also curious about this. CR recently reviewed antivibration pads and a new anti-vibration unit that the whole washer sits on. We currently have a top loader on second floor on shake-away pads, and it still shakes the floor more than we would like. CR's most recent tests rate so many washers as excellent on vibration that it is not helpful. Has anyone found real vibration tests for recent (new) models?? The pad that CR likes is only for front-loaders, so we are looking at the following, either:

1. THe best (least vibration) front loader and the anti-shake pad (steadywash I think), or,

2. The least vibration top loader (don't care if it's top or front as we hang all of our clothes, but our current top loader uses way too much water, as evidenced by our water bill increase after we got it - so would prefer something that uses less water)

CR mentioned Samsung WF520AB[P] when they tested the pads.

Thoughts? Thanks!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here