Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stale cigarette smoke in new jacket

Posted by beanwabr (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 16:52

One of my kids friends gave me a brand new nice suede jacket (with tags still attached) for me to give to my 11 yr old daughter. The girl is 14 and apparently has had it for several years; both of her parents are very heavy smokers and the jacket has a totally overwhelmingly strong and stale scent. I've never owned anything suede and didn't look at the care tag yet (immediately hung it out in the 70 degree fresh air and got away as fast as possible---not to be ungrateful, but it stinks!). How can I go about getting this out? Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stale cigarette smoke in new jacket

stale cigarette smoke
I've not yet run into any other kind.

I make it a point not take or borrow anything from smokers, or lend-to. Even books and electronics catch the odor. The jacket likely will have to be professionally cleaned considering how much residue is probably in it.

o

"... professionally cleaned ..."

Yup. And, for suede/leather, it will be expensive. No alternative, if you want to keep it. Good news is that they're pretty good at it. Be sure to inform them of your intent to get that odor out at the point of contract. If they flinch, go somewhere else.

o

Be sure to take the jacket to a cleaners that specializes in leather cleaning, or can send it to a place that does. A local store that sells a lot of leather jackets might be able to recommend a place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here