Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I Add STPP To My Loads

Posted by Ducs_Of_Hazzard (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 15:31

Hi There!

My wife and I just bought a new Washer and Dryer. We bought a LG WM3885HCCA and DLEX3885C. We have a whole home Water Softener. And we are using Persil Megapearls (Universal & Colors).

I was wondering if adding a teaspoon or two of STPP to our loads would increase the cleaning power. I know a lot of people recommend STPP for hard water but we have a softener. Would adding it hurt anything? Can you use it on colors and whites (Just not Delicates)? I typically put 2 tablespoons of Persil in our washes. Also can anyone recommend a good prewash detergent?

Thanks In Advance!
Marcus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I Add STPP To My Loads

Adding STPP surely won't hurt anything. It's not bleach so yes, can be used on delicates and colors. Only you can decide if your laundry situation could benefit from a cleaning boost, perhaps by giving it a try.

o

Is the purpose of STPP not to soften hard water?? If so, why would someone with soft water need it? Water that is too soft can be troublesome as well. Soft water does not rinse as well as hard water.

I know there have been other threads here re: STPP.

My thought is it is not necessary. Do you feel like things are not getting clean?

How do you like your WM3885?? It was on my short list. I ended up purchasing the Miele W4842/T9822 but I really liked those WM3885 units.

o

Water softening is a large part of STPP, but it does help "power" the wash water beyond just softening.

o

STPP is absolutely not needed if you are using a whole house water softener. While STPP has some minor benefits beyond simply softening water, you are already receiving those benefits with the detergent + soft water combo. I honestly think it's a waste. Are your clothes not coming out clean?

o

On dirty loads clothes come out clean using detergent, but come out cleaner using STTP. I have found that when STTP is added to the laundry during wash a lot of stains and such that detergents alone won't touch will come out.

o

Probably shouldn't need it with a water softener.

We have hard water, although it is usually in the very low range as far as "Hard" is gauged.
this month is was at 114PPM.

But anyway we use the Sodium Tripolyphosphate (STPP) in our Dishwasher, just a 1/4 teaspoon.
and sometimes might add a teaspoon to the laundry for dirty whites.

Best place I have found it is at a place called "Soapgoods".

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapgoods

o

I think the only benefit from using STPP you would get is chelating stain elements like Iron and making the wash water more alkaline. Citric acid could also chelate iron if needed. Washing soda would serve to make the water more alkaline. You are using a premium detergent. If that isn't working to your satisfaction why not just try another or plain old Tide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here