Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thepond2007

Need help! Research New Washer, Bravos is totally trashed.

thepond2007
9 years ago

So confused, so many conflicting opinions. It truly sounds like new machines are only lasting 5 years. Anyone with a 15+ track record doesn't have a newer machine, so....
My Maytag Bravos Top Load is broken, after 5 yrs, too expensive to repair. Didn't love how it cleaned anyway, going to repurchase a Washing Machine.

I've tried to put an idea together, from what I've read here. I think I want Front Load this time.

My "wish" list:
*Extra large capacity (unless that's a mistake)
*Easy to keep fresh smelling
*Quite (at least not the noisiest one)
*Durable (5+ years would be nice)
*Good, reliable Company support
*Pre-soak (if avail on FL)
*Pause to add (on FL)
*Gentle/handwash cycle
*Wash tennis shoes (I can dream, can't I?)

I don't even know what to expect to pay! Bravos was $900, bought from high end appliance company, and I thought it would be our last washer.

So confused. Spend a lot and gamble? Or spend little and risk just not good enough build??

Comments (13)

• thepond2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I will do that, and bring some choices back here. They ought to let you bring a load of laundry and try the machines out, lol! Thank you.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Don't blame the retailer.or the manufacturer. I see this all too often. Do your self a favor buy a speed queen top loader. If it's not big enough buy two of them. They work and are built to last(as long as it wasn't built on a mondAy or Friday). Failing that expect to replace every 5 to 8 years.

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

I don't know about their front loaders, but Speed Queen top loaders meet most of your requirements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed Queen - Home Laundry

• thepond2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, I will look for Speed Queen. I have been shown Samsung front load at Home Depot, along with their extended warranty. Salesman said they handle ALL the repIrs from Day One; under warranty or not.

• thepond2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Home Depot has me interested in LG WM3570HWA Front Load, on sale $679 (also an energy rebate $70). I am seriously considering the Home Depot Ext. Warr. because it covers everything else for 5 years. Even a replacement if the same thing is a problem 3 times.

It has a lot of features, a tilted tub, always can pause and add garment. I don't know if it's extremely loud, though.

• smith02_gw
    9 years ago

It looks like a good deal considering the MSRP is $1000.

I bought a LG from HD with their service contract in 2011 and had service on it twice within 3 years. Bleach dispenser never worked right and water was really slow coming into the washer (lines were OK). The third time, I went with the LG recommended service provider and they seemed to fix the problem. They also reprogrammed the washer software to work better (it did), something I don't think HD warranty covers. The LG cleaned OK but the wash took forever and I mean forever. The time display is LG time, not clock time. For example, whites took 2 hours, 30 minutes when the display indicated 1 hour, 41 minutes. Just wanted you to know. I also could not select water temperatures that were not programmed in already (example, extra hot for whites). Sanitary cycle LG time was 2 hours, 56 minutes if I wanted extra hot. The washer may have a water heater but since it's rated at 10 amps, it would be more like a fish tank heater.

Go back online and read the service manual, especially the care/maintenance section. Lots of stuff to do after each wash and monthly. They now have smart phone diagnostics which is a good thing. If your OK with the maintenance and have local LG service, it's a good price, pull the trigger.

FWTW, we just moved and instead of LG we bought a Speed Queen on the dealer service recommendation (dealer sells SQ & LG), Could not be happier.

• thepond2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, LG time! I agree. Since I have been a "slave" already to my Bravos (learning curve, shmearning curve, I read every tip I could find). Great suggestion to read the LG Manual online!! Doing that now. Thx.

• thepond2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm about to by this LG, but I am reading many reviews about soapy water leakage, and a mushroom shaped thingy that is getting stuck around the drain or something, and LG failing to diagnose :-/. So many of the good reviews are from owners that have only had the machine for weeks. This review is from Home Depot's site. I checked several review sites.

• thepond2007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ordered LG; delivery 12/20 so, we'll see if Home Depot's coverage is everything they claim. Thanks a bunch, GardenWeb Forums are the best!!

• tigs
    9 years ago

Wondering how you have liked the LG 3570? I am about to purchase this week, price not as good as you quoted but still better than my other choice (I would love the new front load speed queen but I could buy 2 LG for the price of one SQ). LG and SQ are the least deep machines on the market and the only ones that fit our space. Thanks!

• larsi_gw
    9 years ago

My Vote is Electrolux or LG/Kenmore Elite! I honestly find them to be of the best quality, value, offerings, and performance!

• thepond2007
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The LG has performed flawlessly so for, since last December!!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio