Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djdoggone

Fix or Replace Miele?

djdoggone
9 years ago

I have a Miele W1213 washer. Love the thing but the struts are broken and need replacing. Technician said it would be about $1,000 and a week-long fix because the machine has to be shipped out.

Hubby says just replace it with new W3038.

I know that the new Miele doesn't heat the water as hot (158 versus 203 degrees) for sanitizing whites. I'll bet it uses less water too; I worry that it won't clean as well. The W1213 is a beast. It gets used every day 3 or 4 loads. Is the W3038 as rugged?

Comments (4)

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

The shock absorbers are usually bolted to the drum and base of the machine. Remove the bolts and replace the shocks - done. The service manual will help some.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manual

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks very much for the manual. Apparently I got it wrong. It is the drum bearings that need replacing. I guess it is a BIG job.

• cimberlie_desade
    9 years ago

Had the shocks/struts on our older Miele replaced where it was, in house. Bearings OTOH yes, the technician is correct it that your washer will have to go to MieleUSA's workshop in New Jersey. This is unless he has one closer to wherever you live.

Either way it is going to be an expensive project and that is even if MieleUSA will do it. Your series is not that "old" so it may be approved. Otherwise MieleUSA will do everything it can to dissuade if not turn down the job.

We have an older Miele and quite honestly have been told by MieleUSA don't call them anymore as they aren't coming out again, ever, period, end of story.

MieleUSA does not have a surplus of technicians and the ones they do have and or are training both in house and from outside sources are not being taught anything before the 1200 series washing machines and matching dryers IIRC. Certainly not the 10XX or 19XX series.

Your husband is correct in that a new bearing job is going to be expensive and you might be better off buying new. That and or search around locally on eBay or Craigslist for a used 1200 washer (we see them often enough), and go from there.

MieleUSA has the equipment and so forth to replace bearings because they will normally do the repair if the thing goes while machine is under warranty. However on an older unit you have to balance out the cost of repair versus how long the machine will last otherwise, this includes other repairs. That is to say if you do the bearings this year and next the motor, motherboard, or whatever fails.

While some do the repair onsite in Europe changing the bearings on a Miele requires removing the tubs (after disconnecting everything attached), using either a very strong hoist or some other equally strong but stable method. The cast iron drums are what make Miele washers so stable but also weigh a lot.

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cimberlie, thanks very much for the advice. We have opted to buy a new machine.

Our problem is that we seem to be locked into a Miele because we only have a 24.5" opening for stacking our washer and dryer. I have loved my W1213, especially because it handles hand washables so beautifully -- a BIG deal since my hands are crippled with rheumatoid arthritis and I live in wool sweaters and socks 9 months of the year. And I use the 95-degree centigrade sanitize wash at least twice a week for things like cloth shopping bags that see the inside of the station wagon, right beside the dog. But I am shocked that we are deep sixing this machine when we expected to get 20 years out of it. I didn't mind paying a premium price for a machine expected to survive two decades, but now I balk at the $4,400 price tag for a new set when I seriously doubt they'll live out the 20 years -- especially if MieleUSA cuts you loose for having an older machine.

Our local guy says Electrolux is the way to go because they don't have the vibration issues Miele does -- which he figures caused the bearing issue (despite the fact the machine was installed on a reinforced floor with special bracing). But they only make 27" machines. What happened to the small machine market?!?

We need to be mindful of energy efficiency because our electric rates have increased 49% over the last three years. But, based on the longevity of the W1213, we'll never get a return on the investment.

Sigh

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County