Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kenmore Washer - Agitator Problem

Posted by ljcap (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 14:39

I was hoping you could point me in the right direction...The agitator on my washer is not working.. The pump works fine. Makes some unusual noise when it should be agitating; not very loud; sounds fine when it's pumping. Here's some more details...

It's a Kenmore (I believe Whirlpool), top load, direct drive, bought in September 2000, model no. 11020942990, CK 3825708.

I took off the top of the agitator, and the dogs are shots...there were bits of plastic and dust in there. But that's not all that's going on. I removed the bottom part of the agitator (removing the 7/16" nut) and filled the tub. No movement of the shaft at all (picture).

I'm thinking that's either the coupler between the motor and agitator shaft, or the gearbox/clutch.... My thoughts are that if it's the coupler, that would seem worth the cost of the repair. But if it's the gearbox/clutch, it's probably time for a new washer.

But this being the first washer I've looked into, I really don't know. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kenmore Washer - Agitator Problem

The coupler is OK if it does spin, although examination is the only way to be 100% sure.

Your serial number indicates manufacture in 38th week of 2000.

I would repair the machine if it was mine, even if the transmission must be replaced (although I can do the repair myself so wouldn't have to pay a service tech). Those direct-drive Whirlpools are very robust and easy to repair, superior IMO to any toploader on the market now.

Replacing the tranny is not as difficult as you may think. There are videos on YouTube, and numerous online sources for parts (including eBay).

o

Thanks for the fast reply... One follow-up question.... "The coupler is OK if it does spin, although examination is the only way to be 100% sure." I'm not sure what to examine... nothing in the "top side" is spinning when the motor runs. I can turn the shaft (in the picture) some by hand, but it is a bit difficult.

I'm thinking the next step is to start taking the bottom apart... you tune video's seem straightforward... I guess I'll check to see if the coupler's broken, or if the tranny's spinning freely...

o

Okay. I'm underneath, and the coupler appears to be fine. I can spin it fairly easily by hand.

o

Okay. I'm underneath, and the coupler appears to be fine. I can spin it fairly easily by hand.

o

If the three fingers on each half of the coupler aren't broken, the rubber bushing isn't mangled, and the coupler halves aren't cracked such that they're not securely gripping the motor and tranny shafts ... then it's good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here