Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bubbadude

Miele W4840 rubber seal leaking problem

bubbadude
13 years ago

How many Miele 48xx owners have experienced leaking door seal problem? I have had a Miele 4840 for two years. Like many of you I paid premium price and replaced all my appliances with Miele. I had problem with mild leakage at the rubber door seal within 2 months which Miele instantly replaced. Now after less than two years the problem is much bigger. Water gushes out and floods the floor during rinse cycle. The sad part is I thought it was a minor probllem at first. Actually the water was seeping into the floo .Bcasue of the floor level difference the water was flowing to the corner of the house getting under the base board, soking the sheet rock.I realised the extent of the damage only after I started seeing bubbles at the base board caulking line. When I called Miele they gave me the standard out of warranty answer and wanted me to pay a $150 visit fee just to send someone to take a look. I checked the rubber seal for any crack and found none. Did a normal wash cycle and watched the entire cycle sitting in front of the machine. The leak starts at the Rinse cycle about 20 min before the end of the cycle. This time I had a towel and a huge layer of paper twel to soak the water up and that is when I realized how much water must have been leaking out in every washing that I have done before. Upon writing an email they have scheduled to send a local independent repair person to come and check it out. But I wanted to see how many others have had similar leakage issue. This is really basd for a company that claims superior quality and craftsmanship for their appliances. Compared to that my older Kenmore top load served so weell with not a single service issue for almost 18 years and even when I got rid of it the smple machine was in mintworking conditionBy the way the dryer that came with it had to replaced within one year because of a recall issue and when the service guy tried to upgrade the firmware to fix the problem the internal computer died. So much for quality and craftsmanship. Four of my neighbors that I had talked into to look at Miele when they staretd remodeling their homes have now decided to look at other brands after hearing my experience.

Comments (23)

• suburbanmd
    13 years ago

20 minutes before the end of the cycle, sounds like around the time that water is sprayed into the fabric softener dispenser. But you're seeing the water leak out of the door seal at this point in the cycle, every time?

• fahrenheit_451
    13 years ago

Please do the following as precursor to finding the problem:

Open the door on the washer. At the very bottom of the gray seal where it meets the the stainless steel drum, fold the gray seal away to reveal three (3) slotted drainage holes. Keep folding the gray seal over to see where the three (3) holes (that will be circular and not slotted) in the gray seal align with the three slotted holes. These three gray seal holes must meet the three slotted holes for a pass-through of water. If your gray seal has shifted then the holes will not align properly prohibiting water from draining back into the drum.

Photo looking down at the seal junction

If these holes do not align properly then you have to remove the front fascia and on the steel frame, at the latching mechanism area, will be a stamped mark where a corresponding protruding triangular tab on the gray seal must align to insure these six (6) holes allow drainage.

Second, at the bottom outer circumference where the gray seal meets the fascia is a spring retaining the clip wire that secures the gray seal to the outer fascia. Check to determine whether it is properly seating itself in the groove.

Photo looking upwards from ground level

• fahrenheit_451
    13 years ago

Here's another sign that the seal is misaligned. Notice how it's heavily wrinkled?

The seal can become misaligned over time, and through very large loads where articles being washed are literally being dragged along the seal. Another reason, and this is how I came upon this issue, is by a Miele Tech or another tech not properly aligning the seal after servicing components that require its removal and re-installation.

Note: This photograph was taken by another member here, at my request, but the thread where it is posted I am at a loss to find.

• bubbadude
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the pictures which makes it very easy to locate the potential problem areas. Unfortunately my unit looks properly aligned and no visible wrinkles either. I also was sitting right in front of the unit when the leakage started. The water was definitely not coming from the dispenser. The tech told me on the phone he more or less knows the problem which makes me wonder if this is a common problme in Miele and if it is, why are they not addressing it as a design issue. Like the dish washer why is there not a leakge detection trigger to shut off the cycle?

• suburbanmd
    13 years ago

OK, the water isn't coming from the dispenser. But is it running down from the bottom of the door?

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

It's also very common for the seal to leak if debris or hair gets in the way of forming a tight seal when you close the door. This could cause a very minor leak as water wicks along the hair or debris and finds a way past the seal. This is very easily fixed by wiping the door seal to ensure it is clean and free of debris. Although this type of "leak" should only cause a tiny drip, and then only when you have a high water level.

• bubbadude
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Suburbanmd, yes, the water is coming from the bottom of the door. I had placed a bog beach towel on the floor it almost completely got soaked. I also checked the seal from inside. No hair or debris.I have the same problem of mildew that many have reported. Tried, bleach, hot cycle, and mildew persists. I have started keeping the door open but my problem is that the laundry room door comes in the way. So now I have to keep the room open as well.

• fahrenheit_451
    13 years ago

Please check to determine whether you have the door latch assembly in the picture below.

• bubbadude
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Farenheit, my latch looks different than your picture.

Harryva,
    Thanks for sharing your experience. The trouble with
    These kinds of problens is that one has to take time of from work and stay for the technician to come
    Again and again. In my situation since I'd did know the water traveling under the tiles the damage is much bigger with the wall and base board. Looks like there are many with similar issues. I replaced every appliance in my house with Miele hoping to get better quality. Now I regret spending all that extra money. Why can't they get the seal right in a mmachine that claims to be 'wterproof'?

• harryva
    13 years ago

Yes it is frustrating, especially when you think spending top dollar is going to buy you high quality.

Interestingly, when the technican was last here I asked him whether he had a Miele washer and his answer was no but he was saving up for a Novtronic. Although they have smaller capacity his experience is they are bullet proof and deliver the quality that Miele hangs its hat on. Said he would never buy the 4820 based on the problems he had seen, and that he felt that Miele had not really perfected the machine for the North American market.

Good luck.

• gates1
    13 years ago

That is sad that you had so much trouble with Miele. Seems like quality issues are in all manufactures, but you expect less of it when you pay top dollar. I work in the auto industry, and like I say, everything goes to the lowest bidder and the manufacture hopes for the best, and charges the most for the product.

• fordtech
    13 years ago

We see plenty of things go wrong with our new Lincolns too... global market..

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

My Asko washer and dryer also needed service in the first two years, and that's a very high end product as well. The washer motor was replaced as a "field upgrade" and the dryer fuse bypass repair was also done for the same reason. No product is perfect.

I have the W4842 and T9802. I do not have any of these problems. It's possible they have addressed a lot of these problems in the latest generation. The T9802 electric dryer actually dries my clothes better than my Asko or any other machine I ever had.

• bubbadude
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I owe it to all of you to report back what happened today when the tech came to fix the machine. he ended up replacing the rubber seal and also the door seal with a plastic one instead of the metalic oen. He mentioned in the new model that is what they are using. He also put two small washers to push the door ring out a little bit. I did two wash cycles after and no leaks so far. So, once again good customer support but questionable quality. Why didnt they own up the bad design of the ring and replace it before it caused the leak?

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

A plastic ring, instead of the metal one that the W4840 was designed to have and has. A-ha!!!

When I had my W4840, our Miele technician came out to set my washer to Water+. The W4842 had just debuted. He told me that the W4842 units now come with an "improved" plastic ring around the front seal. He removed my metal ring, and "upgraded" my W4840 with the new W4842's plastic ring. Luckily he tried a cycle before he left...it leaked. He took the plastic one off, and put the metal one back on.

This may be your problem, or was the problem!

• bubbadude
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Larsi,
    Ok, In my case what the technician did was to replace the metal ring with the new "improved" plastic one. He did do a test cycle and also I ran the machine for a normal wash cycle as well. It seem to work now with new leak. Your experience seem to hav been exactly the opposite. Let us see how long this holds up.

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

gates1 said:
    I work in the auto industry, and like I say, everything goes to the lowest bidder and the manufacture hopes for the best, and charges the most for the product.This may be true of other manufacturers, but my understanding is that Miele makes all of the components that go into the machine - they don't subcontract or use off-the-shelf stuff. According to Miele, this ensures that all components are made to the same exacting standards.

• fordtech
    13 years ago

It sure sounds good, but very few manufacturers can make EVERY part or component, especially when it comes down to electronics and electronics is one of the highest failures of all major appliances. Very few make thier own bearings and seals, another common failure. Sometimes it doesnt matter how well you build something, you are at the mercy of vendors and their component quality.

• gates1
    13 years ago

sshrivastava, I certainly hope that you are right, for the price miele charges for a washer and dryer, but somethng tells me that is not the case. It is EXTREAMLY rare to find a manufacture that builds everything them selves in this day and time, it is not cost effective for them. Look at the grief Toyota has put themselves through this year, now their hyrids not only dont stop, they catch on fire! Id really love to find proof that miele builds everythng that goes into their washers, and that it is not outsourced to someone else.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

"Miele stands for highest product quality. Miele - "that means durability, reliability, security and peace of mind. As part of this philosophy, Miele avows itself to Germany as its center of production. Ninety percent of the total value creation is generated here. "Made in Germany" is a promise of quality and Miele strives to fulfill the high requirements of our customers and provide them with appliances of the highest quality and tested durability to make their lives more comfortable."
    http://www.mieleusa.com/about_miele/about_miele.asp?nav=1&snav=3&tnav=3&oT=200&benefit=95

"Key components are not simply purchased on the open market, they are developed and produced by Miele. An important prerequisite for exceptional quality down to the very last detail."
    http://www.miele.ca/s7/#/Journey/Reliability

It sounds like maybe not all but most are produced by Miele.

• Anthony Hoepelman
    6 years ago

I tilted my Miele w4840 to drain water & the drum came out of place...help!!

• richard_mariu
    6 years ago

Take a photo