Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corundum

About to Buy Maytag Epic

corundum
17 years ago

Howdy - new user here. Found these forms very helpful.

Our old Kenmore 80 series heavy duty set which came with our home 10 years ago is not keeping up these days. Dryer takes too long and we canÂt do large/heavy loads in the washer. Also would be nice to do our king size comfortersand sleeping bags at home.

It appears the family of of He4T/Epic/Duet/Ensemble are all well liked around here as well as other places on the web. As these are all essentially the same washing machines I was surprised to see up to $300-400 dollars difference in the washer prices depending on where you shop and model.

Home Depot has the white Epic 9700 series washer for $989 until wed  which looks to be like a great deal. Also Maytag is offering a rebate on one 15 inch pedestal if you buy two with the set.

HomedepotÂs extended warranty seems pretty reasonable to  only 59 for two years ESP or 80 for 4 years. I think I may only get an ESP for just the washer as I don't see many issues with dryers.

I donÂt really know the capacity of our old washer/dryer  could not find it on plates. I am hoping we will really be able to crank through large loads quickly  and spend less time doing laundry.

I am going to make this purchase on Wed , last day of sale. So if anyone has any thing to add  I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Comments (31)

• rpsinfoman
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The capacity of the Kenmore 80 series is 3.0 cubic foot. The 90 series washer is 3.2 cubic foot and the matching dryer is 7.0 cubic foot. While it is a move up in capacity, it isn't all of what you may think! I felt no need to purchase the matching dryer with my Duet. I am still using the 90 series dryer which performs excellent.

That Kenmore 80 was the last of Whrilpool clone TL's that were built like a tank. My mother had one, and she washed everything in there from comforters, quilts, heavy throw rugs and it never skipped a beat. It had a real cast transmission which was metal and not plastic like the later machines.

Anyway, the Maytag Epic is a great choice. Moving from a TL to new FL, be prepared for culture shock, longer cycles, and the need to re-learn how to do laundry. In as much as enteraining the notion of King Size Comforters, forget it. Stick with the 30 pounder at the laundermat. The water level is so low in these machines, the mass of a large comforter in that little bit of water doesn't clean very well. Good luck with your purchase!

• snowballs
    17 years ago

corundum, I'm in a similar position as you, leaning towards getting the white Maytag Epic 9700 at Home Depot during their 10% off sale. The other machine on my list is the HE4t, which I realize is almost the same machine yet at least $400 more at Sears (with the pedestals). I crossed the Duet off my list due to the cheap plastic controls. Can anyone tell me why the HE4t may be worth the extra dollars over the Epic?

If anyone has a Maytag Epic I'd like to hear your thoughts on the machine! Thanks.

• aquarius2101
    17 years ago

rpsinfo - if a cycle with a high water level is used (e.g. Delicates), large bulky items can be cleaned successfully - hell I've even washed single and double duvets in my 5 kilo washer. Only one I can't do at home is my winter king size duvet which I can just about squeeze into a 40lber, but the summer king size duvet fits in my machine just fine and washes well, provided I use the correct water level.

Jon

• corundum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well we did consdier the TL Kenmore Oasis which is something like 4.5 cubic feet! - but there seems some what mixed reviews on these units.hmmm maybe reconsider this.

No comforter? Really? That was a good part of our decision - and the FL's seem to sell this feature ...hard.

Because of the spin speed and dryer size - they are stating 40 mins wash - 40 mins dry. We are seing 30 mins wash or more on old Kenmore and 1.5 hours dry on heavy towel loads. Way to long now.

About the loading - the Epic says something like a max load could be = 10 bath towels, 10 hand towels, and 14 wash clothers in one load (ya I know max load in manual).

Honestly, with our big fluffy bath towels we would be hard pressed to put more than 4 bath towels and little else in our old Kenomore 80 series units.

• corundum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Snowballs - From my research and actually running into a Maytag area rep while at Home Depot - she says there is no difference in the models.

I have read something about a better motor in the Epic 9700 - comapred to He4T...but Maytag rep says no. Only thing I can say is that it is Sears and the He4T has more press (ala consumer reports) so they can charge hundreds more.

The 9700 does have higher RPM than 9600 on the motor. Hoping this means faster drying times.

• rpsinfoman
    17 years ago

corundum, you really must be underloading that ole top loader. I typically washed in the 90 series (3.2cf) 3 double sheets, 6 pillow cases, 2 shirts, 8 t-shirts, 6 shorts, 2 blouses, and 8 or so handerchiefs. For Heavy Work clothes, 8 pair jean, 2 denim jackets, and 2 coveralls. BTW all wonderfully clean. The capacity of my duet isn't able to do much more without inadaquate cleaning results and a two hour+ cycle. You almost have to add an Auto Soak option for it to be effective. My 90 TL cleaned the load in 45 minutes using nothing more than tap hot. The full size $150 dollar comforter it made a mess of, and I believe I used a Heavy cycle. I wouldn't have overly high expectations on the new machine, otherwise you will be disapointed. If energy savings are your goal this is the way to go. Otherwise alot of the marketing is just plain "hype". Consumer FL's have been around a long time so this isn't a new technology. They have added onboard heaters, and profile wash programs, bigger capacity, automated dispensers, electronic controls, but the mechanics of the wash action is the same. If I was doing it over again I would buy a Bosch 700 Nexxt series. It heats water in ALL cycles.

• charlyinfl
    17 years ago

corundum, the best way to handle King or Queen comforters or other oversized & thick bulky items is easy in the Duet-or Epic washers. It has been mentioned often and is easy to do. Saves the trip to the laundromat or cleaners.

Choose the Soak cycle. Add detergent. The soak fills to a much higher water level fully saturating comforters, rugs etc. After the 15 minute tumble soak phase is complete, run it through the Normal or Heavy cycle to complete. Works great.

• corundum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Charlyinfl,

Good point I remembered that He4T and maybe Duet have the bulky bedding cycle - were as the Maytag Epic does not. But I guess the Soak Cycle + Normal will do the trick on Epic.

• stinkydavis
    17 years ago

Don't know a thing about Maytag Epic, only Neptune. However, I'd think many many times before buying another Maytag, or a front loader for that matter. I've had wonderful luck in the past with old Maytag TL machines, but the Neptune is a disaster. The Maytag company had some design and engineering problems with these machines: mold grew inside the door, water didn't drain completely, etc. The bigger problem was, Maytag failed to tell many people who were entitled to a free fix. The whole mess resulted in a class action lawsuit, settled at something huge - close to $100 million as I recall. Owners of Neptunes got several hundred dollars and/or consideration for another Maytag washer. Just a mess and not very good faith behavior by Maytag.

In additon to this, I've discovered that the seriously low water use has drawbacks. Because water is so skimpy the bleach dispenser doesn't operate until washing is close to done. Maytag told me this was because otherwise the concentration of bleach in low water volume would damage clothes. They were right, but adding bleach so late means it can't do the same job as a TL machine.

Also due to the low water level, they tell you to use the special front loader detergents - called HS, I think. These are specially formulated to clean with low water volume, and to rinse with skimpy rinse water. They cost a ton, and then some, but I din't think much of the washing job they did. So I switched to my old standby, Arm and Hammer liquid; it cleans beautifully and at the occasional sales it's a low cost winner. The drawback is, you need more of it, and you then need to add your own extra rinse - I add the optional extra rinse and then a final extra rinse. (private well)

Also, to avoid the bleach dispenser problem, I add bleach directly to the wash water as its filling. I'm just super careful not to add too much.

Also, I don't know about Epic, but Neptune has no lint filter. If you live in the city or suburbs this means you either set up a washer drain sink with special filter or you may get your sewer waste lines clogged (lint washes away poorly) If you live in the country and have a septic system, you do the same or mess up the septic field - lint, I'm told, doesn't decompose well.

Bottom line, the Netpune was a very expensive top of the line re-introduction of top loaders, but it doesn't do much, you need to screw around to use it, and Maytags' attitude and actions would make me leery of buying another. I see that the Epic costs even more than Neptune. Hmmm.

Finally, didn't the whole Fl thing center in part on the idea that everyone must save water? In places like Florida and California, this is surely true, but not everywhere. The politicians in those water short states have had their way at the federal level. (low flush toilets, faucets, etc.) But household water accounts for only about 14% of overall water use while farms and factories are waaay big users. All kind of silly.

Good luck with your project - if it were me, I'd buy a TL with electronic controls and the biggest tub I could find.

• aquarius2101
    17 years ago

Stinkydavis - the Neptunes are entirely different machines from the Epic - the Epic is made by Whirlpool and is a cousin to the Duet and HE*t machines. Quality/reliablity of these machines is reported to be better, and have been tried/tested as well as improved over teh past 5 years.

In terms of HE detergents, their forumlation is nothing to do with water levels, they have less fillers and are formulated to be less foaming as the water action in a frontloader is stronger than that in a toploader.

Jon

• rpsinfoman
    17 years ago

"water action in a frontloader is stronger than that in a toploader."

Thats more fiction that fact. I think you may have that backwards. You will never get the rollover and water activity in a FL that a TL provides. The baffles are too small to even lift and drop large oversize loads. If they were that agressive you wouldn't have cycle times nearly as long as they currently are, excluding the time it takes to heat the water.

• aquarius2101
    17 years ago

Perhaps my wording was wrong... there will definitely be more splashing in a frontloader causing more foaming - it is recirculated more, compared to in a toploader. I have seen it for myself - frontloaders can churn up a lot of suds even if you overdose on "low foaming" detergent full stop.

In terms of "rollover", I don't know about you but from watching mine in action nothing ever stays in the same place after even one tumble. BTW - the washing time (after the water has been heated) of a FL isn't much different to a toploader... it is mainly the numerous rinsing cycles and, on some models/brands, excessive balancing regimes that contribute to longer cycles.

Jon

• stinkydavis
    17 years ago

Jon,

You may well be right, about HE detergents; I am simply passing on what I got from Maytag customer service. A couple of years ago I did however, track this all down myself. From what I can remember, low water was the driver in creating these new detergents. I think rpsinfoman has a point about the washer action - don't some of the front loaders tell you the machines are easier on clothes. Answer this if you like, but not for my benefit - I'm not buying anything now.

Have you forgotten that Whirlpool bought Maytag? A fellow in the repair business told me a couple of years ago that at that time some Maytag washers were already being made by Whirlpool. Damned if I know. I know that Maytag has/had eleven or so manufacturing facilities in the US, but had moved production of some appliances to a new Mexican plant a few years ago.

Finally, if you think things are clearer or better now, here's a snippet from Whirlpool:

"Q. Will Whirlpool eliminate or discontinue Maytag brand products?

A. Whirlpool sought to acquire Maytag due to the companys rich heritage and brand recognition. We are truly excited about this new, compelling portfolio of brands."

Oh, that clears up everything.

Regards,

• boba1
    17 years ago

Well, I for one just switched to a front loader. I had a 20 year old 3.0 cu. ft. Lady Kenmore 90 Series, the first year for the LK to be offered in the Direct Drive mechanical design. Personally, I think rpsinfoman should quantify the size of his jeans and overalls and such. I will admit mine here. I wear 40 x 30 to 42 x 30 jeans. In the old LK, 4 pair fit comfortably with good rollover, 5 pair was about as much as the machine could handle, anymore, it would be even more murder on the fabrics. I now have what we'd pretty much consider the dinky 3.1 cu. ft. Frigidaire, hey it was free. I can put 8 pair of jeans in there. I am able to get 1/2 as much more per load in the front loader than the top loader. Last night, I put a set opf queen size & set of king size sheets in one load. Came out very clean. I"ve also had to do less pretreating because of the high concentration of detergent vs. water ratio. I use Sears HE detergent, big bucket, and find it to be very economical and performs very well. I've already washed sweaters and other stuff that I confidently feel will not be abused in any way, which happened with my Kenmore on Delicate. I hope I never have to go back to a top loader. Just my input and I"ve been doing laundry for 40 years now.

• snowballs
    17 years ago

I just got back from Sears, I learned they are having a 20% off sale on Friday.

White He4t washer and dryer and pedestals: $1200 + $744 + $400 = $2344

White Epic 9700 washer and dryer and pedestals: $989 + $809 + $160 = $1958
    (I don't remember the price of the pedestals as Home Depot, I think they were about $160).

The $400 difference does seem a lot for almost identical machines. Although I do admit the He4t seems to be built *slightly* better than the Epic, but not nearly the difference between the Duet and the Epic.

• dross
    17 years ago

Have you forgotten that Whirlpool bought Maytag?

We are all well aware of this. There is no familial connection whatsoever between the Maytag-built Maytag Neptune and the Bauknecht-built Maytag Epic.

I typically washed in the 90 series...

We just spent almost a year away from home with a Kenmore 80 instead of our usual Bosch FL, and it was inferior in every way: capacity, cleaning ability, flexibility, vibration, noise, and was not much better on wash times (since our water pressure was so-so, and it took forever for the machine to fill, especially on what the machine falsely claimed was "hot").

Jon is completely correct on FL foaming, but I think a large part of that is the soapy water being forced back and forth through the holes in the inner drum, like repeatedly squeezing a dish sponge, rather than from laundry rollover. - DR

• rpsinfoman
    17 years ago

First of all the Kenmore 90 Electronic Series is 3.2 cu. ft. And I will be glad to qualify. My jean sizes 30x32, 32x34. 34x34. I am sorry but 4 pair of jeans does not fill that machine or even one of lesser capacity. I typically wash 14 bath towels, a half dozen hand towels, and washcloths. I think your perception of size is distorted. In a TL, the cf is attained through depth or height of the basket. A FL looks bigger because the basket is wider, but more shallow and the agitator is absent. A .6 difference in cubic footage is not significant in reality. It's all visual and a psychological perception. You just think you get more in the FL. You no more can process a king size comforter properly in a 3.8 FL than you can a TL. I bought the duet because I got a good price, and for the energy savings. The 90 series uses 52gallons of water at it's maximum level. I too have always used Sears HE, and Clorox even in the TL. Performence wise the Duet does a nice job but doesn't clean as well on whites than the TL 90 unless you add an autosoak to it. I think part of it is the bleach is added after the first 5 min of the wash cycle in the 90, and the duet adds it to the first cold water rinse. It's a huge trade off in cleaning. It's easy for me to compare since they both are connected, and my tap hot is 147F. And BTW the Duet, Epic, Kitchen Aid Ensemble, and He4T are all clones. KA and Maytag are identical and Kenmore has a few more cycles, and KA and Epic a few less. None of machines have a true profile wash, and heater is only active in Whitest Whites, Sanitary, and Heavy Duty cycles. As far as built better, internally there the same.

• rpsinfoman
    17 years ago

Bobal, yoy may want to check your model. The Electronic 90 series wasn't introduced until the 90's. It would be impossible your machine is 20 years old. Perhaps you were thinking 80 series which was a product of the 80's but these were not direct drive.

• boba1
    17 years ago

no it isn't the electronic version all mechanical.

• Cadyren
    17 years ago

I used a Maytag 506(?) TL for 22 years before I purchased the Bosch 3200 in July. I stuffed that TL full all the time and don't think I get much more in the FL, but stains definitely come out now. With the TL I could never get stains out without an effort. My Maytag used 40 gallons on the highest load and if I wanted to soak and then wash in warm water, it was 2 times that.( had to do this manually as my TL had no soak feature.) I don't understand why people say that HE detergent is more expensive than regular. Around here a 100 ounce bottle is the same as regular tide and goes on sale at the same time etc. I am happy saving water even though I have a well and septic so I technically save no money.

• rpsinfoman
    17 years ago

I also like the Bosch machines. It's really all about expectations and that's a personal thing unique to each consumer. One persons idea of clean laundry is not necessarily someone else's. Europeans and Americans have had vastly different opinions on doing laundry, equipment, capacity, detergents, and lifestyles for years. Part of that stems from smaller living quarters, strict energy controls, and overhaul better engineering of equipment in Europe. Americans have always been energy happy and could never produce a mechanically functional FL that worked! If you like something and your satisfied, that's great! Part of my opinion I suppose is derived from using big commercial FL's most of my life. I won't even try to compare to a consumer machine. 85% of all washers sold in America are still TL's and 15% FL. Industry analysts believe the demand has peaked in FL arena. It's government and energy regulations dictating to the appliance industry what they should produce. It will be interesting over the next decade how the numbers play, and what new forms of technology will emerge. The only thing new thats energed in America is cheaper quality goods, and a market full of imports. Were so about style over function! Most consumers wouldn't know clean laundry if it hit em in the face, as long as those applicances look sleek and Euro. ;)

• dross
    17 years ago

Industry analysts believe the demand has peaked in FL arena.

Doubtful. When the new Federal washing machine water efficiency standards kick in this January, it will be very difficult for TLs to comply except for machines like the Oasis which are even more expensive than a FL.

US population is up 50% since 1970, the need to use water wisely isn't going away (though of course losing all our heavy industry helps a bit in this regard:-) - DR

• corundum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This thread kind of expanded !

Well - I decided against the Maytag Epic - because of that one little lack of a cycle button on the Epic's - "bulky/bedding". Sounds trivial - but I want that setting!

So will be doing some shoping on Black Friday for either the Duet 9400 or the Kenmore He4T set. Will be looking for the best offer price for the washer/dryer/pedestal/ESP package. Sears, Lowes and others.....

• rpsinfoman
    17 years ago

Best Buy has the Duet 9400PW for 1079.00 Free Delivery and 24 months same as cash. If you happen to have a 12% coupon around, they will honor that also. Lowes has the Bosch 700 for 1188.00 less a $100 mail in rebate, free delivery, and some sort of financing offer. Sears He4T in white is on sale for 1199.00 I don't know if that includes the 20% off they are advertising, free delivery with mail in rebate, and some sort of financeing offer.

• corundum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks - best buy is now on my list of stops - I found the coupon - just needed to sign up on line for rewards card. 12% off brings washer to 949.52 ! Will see if that 20% off at Sears brings too. Lots of shopping Friday to do.

• rpsinfoman
    17 years ago

What you mean..water is our most abundent resource in this country. Oh wait...maybe we can import that from china also. ;)

• frontloadfan
    17 years ago

Hi,

I have had the Kitchenaid Ensemble over a year now and really love it. From what I can see other than a reduction of top spin speed, the Ensemble and Maytag Epic are identical machines.

Someone mentioned they elected not to go with the Epic as it lacked the Bulky wash cycle. I agree, it is too bad that it does not have it.

I wanted to point out, however, that Epic does offer the autosoak (and not just the soak option). With the autosoak, you select it as a pre-wash option before your main cycle. That means merely pushing one extra button and you get a full 30 minutes of high water level soaking before going into your regular cycle.

• winchestermystery
    17 years ago

I also have the KitchenAid Ensemble, and have washed my son's very bulky Queen-sized Euro-style Ikea comforter in it 4 times in the last 4 weeks, and it comes out clean and smelling great. (He's 12 - and don't tell him I told you, but he still wets his bed about once a week). This particular comforter is so bulky, it just barely fits into the Ensemble washer - I mean, I'm pushing it.

The first time I washed the comforter, I used the Sanitary cycle, but now I just use whitest whites cycle, and it works just fine. I've also washed loads and loads of towels, jeans, etc., using Normal or Heavy Duty, depending upon soil level and everything comes out so clean. I'm starting to sound like an advertisement - but my whites really do come out white! I never thought that was possible before.

I was a little bummed when I realized that the Ensemble didn't have the "bulky" setting, but have found that it's not necessary. Oh - today I used the "silk" setting for my dark red table runners, and placemats, and they came out great! "Silk" doesn't have a spin cycle, so I added the spin cycle after the silk cycle completed. The runners and placemats had not been washed since Christmas day, but our electricity was out for 2 days, until this afternoon, so wash had to wait. Still, they all came out clean. Have I mentioned how much I love my KA Ensembles? I used to dread doing the laundry, and now I actually like doing it.

• kayesrus
    17 years ago

we love our new epic washer and dryer. purchased at home depot with rebate for delivery $55.00; pedestal $149.95; electical co. $35.00;

no problems; clothes are the cleanest in years.

• sammy8530
    16 years ago

HI,JUST BOUGHT A MAYTAG EPIC MFW9600SQ WHITE FRONT LOAD WASHER ON 11/21/2007.FIRST OF ALL THE WASHER I PURCHASED WAS THE DISPLAY UNIT MOUNTED ON THE WHITE PEDESTAL WITH A DRAWER AND DIVIDER. BIG ORANGE HAS THE MFW9600SQ MODEL, SKU#473-461 ON CLEARANCE FOR $557.90 WITHOUT THE PEDESTAL BECAUSE THE NEWER MODEL IS THE 9700. THE 9700 MODEL HAS 200 MORE RPM'S ON THE EXTRA HIGH SPIN CYCLE. THE 9600 MODEL HAS THE MANUAL SET FOR THE EXTRA HIGH SPIN CYCLE AND THE 9700 HAS THE AUTOMATIC FEATURE FOR THE EXTRA HIGH SPIN CYCLE. I CHECKED THE OTHER LOCAL BIG ORANGE STORES TO TRY TO FIND A NEW 9600 IN THE BOX FOR THE PRICE DIFFERENCE, BUT NO LUCK. I AM NOT BIG ON EXTENDED WARRANTYS, BUT I PURCHASED IT THIS TIME BECAUSE THE WASHER WAS THE DISPLAY UNIT. THE WASHER IS SCRATCH/DENT FREE IN MINT CONDITION.I ALSO RECEIVED THE EXTRA 10% OFF THE WASHER BECAUSE OF THE SALE THAT ENDED 11/21/2007. HERE IS WHAT I PAID FOR MY MATYAG FRONT LOAD WASHER, WASHER $502.11 WHICH INCLUDED EXTRA 10% OFF + $3.00 DISPOSAL FEE + $33.89 STATE SALES TAX NORTH CAROLINA + $96.07 4 YEAR EXTENDED WARRANTY + FREE WHITE MHP1500SQ-15.5 PEDESTAL (ABOUT A $200.00 VALUE), GRAND TOTAL OF $635.07 OUT THE DOOR. NO REBATES ON THIS UNIT THAT I KNOW OF AND I HAULED IT HOME MYSELF. HOPE THIS HELPS ON YOUR PURCHASE OF YOUR NEW WASHER. MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE LIKES IT FOR THE PRICE WE PAID!!!!!!!!!!!!

• joe_in_philly
    16 years ago

That is a great deal! Congratulations!

Joe