Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xsresearch

Cabrio Problems

xsresearch
17 years ago

I am soooo disappointed. After a month of research and scouring forums and reviews, I finally decided to invest in the Cabrio WTW6200 (the one with the agitator). I waited almost 2 weeks to have it delivered and installed by Lowes...I had problems with the very first load. The problem seems to be related to filling/rinsing. Water is obviously pouring into the machine but eventually an error code flashes "LF" which means "Long Fill" according to the troubleshooting section. Sometimes this would occur in the initial fill and sometimes it would happen only in the rinse cycle. But whenever it occurs, the "LF" flashes and the machine stops. I called Lowes and waited 3 days to have a replacement machine delivered. Low and behold the exact same error code flashed again. Now this time there is also a slight leak at the base of the machine. I am just disgusted and I am done with Cabrios. I plan to exchange it for a F&P.

Comments (8)

• washer_man
    17 years ago

There have been several other posters that have had this problem.

The problem happens when your installer throws away the drain hose u-bend, and stuffs the hose as far as it will go down the drain pipe. When this happens the end of the hose can get pushed under water, which causes the washer to siphon out the wash water when it fills. This results in an LF error.

The solution is to get your installer to come back and install the washer properly.

• xsresearch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

washer_man, thank you so much! i did a search for cabrio errors before posting but saw nothing that addressed this on the forum. Anyway, you were right...I called Whirlpool and they confirmed it but they could not speak to the leak I was having. So I still ended up exchanging the machine but got a replacement cabrio. I called and told Lowes about the installation issue. I'm on my 3rd load of laundry and so far no LF error and no leak...I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I think it's been resolved. Thanks again.

• stupidwasher
    17 years ago

WE BOUGHT A CABRIO WASHER WITHOUT THE AGITATOR ABOUT 6 WEEKS AGO. IN THE LAST WEEK OR SO I'VE HAD THE 'LF' ERROR COME UP. I JUST READ ONE OF YOUR POSTS REGARDING THIS PROBLEM. I'M HOPING THAT THE U-BEND NOT BEING INSTALLED IS THE PROBLEM WITH OURS. IF NOT, ARE THERE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THE PROBLEM. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

• jcrowley99
    17 years ago

If your installer did not leave the U-bend for your hose, measure 10" from the end of the hose you would insert in the drain. Mark it with a silver sharpie and make sure you do not insert any further than the mark. If you have the U bend, just follow the directions in your manual and the hose will be inserted just right. Don't forget to use a tiedown to hold the hose in place.

• stupidwasher
    17 years ago

WELL, UNFORTUNATELY NONE OF SOLUTIONS ABOVE WERE THE PROBLEM WITH MY CABRIO WASHER. I AM NOW WAITING FOR THE SERVICE PEOPLE TO COME BACK WITH A NEW VALVE AND COMPUTER BOARD. THEY AREN'T EVEN SURE THAT'S THE PROBLEM, THEY ARE JUST HOPING IT IS. IF IT ISN'T, I'VE BEEN PROMISED A NEW MACHINE. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN HAPPY WITH WHIRLPOOL, LET'S HOPE THIS DOESN'T CHANGE MY MIND.

• popimp
    16 years ago

I'm having the same problem on my Cabrio. I downloaded a sevice manual for a WTW6200/WTW6300 Cabrio. All the troubleshooting sequences for these models worked on the WTW6600, which is the model we have. First the Cabrio has 6 valves on one manifold. It has a hot, cold, fresh water, detergent, fabric softener, and bleach valve. To test each valve individually you have to put the machine in manual diagnostic mode.

Step 1. Turn machine off, leave plugged in
    Step 2. Hold any button, (other than power, cancel or start) for 3 secs, release, hold 3 secs, release, hold 3 secs, release.
    Step 3. 88 will flash and press the same button again within 5 secs or the machine will go into automatic test mode.
    Step 4. Once you press the button a 2 digit console code will appear for 3 secs.
    Step 5. If done correctly the display will read 00 and the add a garment indicator will flash indicating you are in manual mode. In manual mode the lid will not lock, so you can open the lid to verify the water from the valves.
    Step 6. Fresh water valve test- Turn selector to Whites, push start, and select temp. Water should come out in the middle. Press start to stop the water.
    Step 7. Detergent valve test- Turn selector to Heavy Duty, push start, and select temp. Water should go into the detergent fill cup. Press start to stop the water.
    Step 8. Fabric Softener valve test- Turn selector to Normal, push start, and select temp. Water should go into the Fabric softener fill cup. Press start to stop the water.
    Step 9. Bleach valve test- Turn selector to casual (perma press), push start, and select temp. Water should go into the Bleach fill cup. Press start to stop the water.

If a valve fails a test then you must replace the whole valve assembly. The individual valves cannot be changed. The part # is W10059320. If you have any other questions please post comment.

• twosilos
    9 years ago

Discovered my Cabrio Washer was dispensing HOT water when I washed my husband's wool sweater he had for years and loved. The settings were delicate and cold. Reason: Installers hooked hot water line to cold water line inlet. Great, just great.