Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why Cold Water Rise?

Posted by lucky_12 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 14:05

Why is cold water used for the rinse on just about every washer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why Cold Water Rise?

To meet the new energy standards. Hot and warm water uses electricity (or gas) and costs money.

o

I presume solely for energy savings as my Fisher Paykel GWL11 washable woolens cycle uses a so-called warm cold temp. for better rinsing as per the owners manual. It is warm to the touch as these are not dumbed down water temps.

o

Warm/Cold rinse on the F&P Woolens cycle is not so much for more effective rinsing as it is for avoiding thermal shock to woolens being washed in warm and rinsed in cold.  It's not heat per se that shrinks woolens as much as a large, sudden change in temperature while wet.

o

lucky_12, unlike the wash cycle, the purpose of rinsing is simply to dilute and suspend the remaining detergents and soils. The temperature of the water has little to no impact on this.

Warm rinses do help to relax the fabric a bit, and thus would probably be of some benefit if you line/air dry frequently. If you use a tumble dryer though I can think of no gain in using a warm rinse (other than thermal shock effect in the case of some particular delicate fabrics).

o

Warm rinses were needed in the days of washing with soap (I've heard mention of a couple machines years ago that had either agitated or spray rinses with hot water). Synthetic detergents largely eliminated the need for heated rinses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here