Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY instructions for dryer vent modifications

Posted by prinesurf (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 13:44

Hi there
We are DIY's but would like some advice for a dryer vent. I have read this in other posts, but I'd feel better if others would comment directly on my case.
I'm wanting to reroute the venting of a dryer due to its current long length and inefficient drying of my clothes. (please assume my modern dryer has specs of no more than 40 feet of venting)

The current set up: Dryer on second floor. Vents into recessed dryer box (like The Dryerbox) into a 4" vent in the wall. once in the UNHEATED attic, it continues in a all-in-one flexible insulated vent pipe (I don't know the diameter just yet) it slopes up 45 degrees to the roof.
The length of the wall run is about 9 feet, the attic run is about 30 feet!

The change: I'd like to keep the in wall run. After it enters attic I was going to put a 90 degree turn then run it straight out to side of the house about 10 feet.

Challenge: installing the exterior portion of the dryer vent, since it is 25+ feet up from ground.

Questions:
1. Should turn at the attic be less than 90?
2. Can I just cut the existing long vent run and use that existing venting and reroute it.
3. What would you recommend as the IDEAL diameter and material for an attic vent run?
4. what type of sloping do I need (I've read 2 suggestions sloping up away from dryer and sloping down towards dryer)
5. Can I use a standard dryer cap, would one of those "Heartland Energy Saving Vent Closures" make any difference into the unheated attic.

THANK YOU

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY instructions for dryer vent modifications

oops I made a few errors, I just visually inspected my hard to access attic.

the current set up is a 5" rigid vent pipe that runs flush with the attic floor then bends 90 to vent out the roof. (the vent is buried under 5" of cellulose insulation
the entire run from the dryer to the roof is about 30 feet.

I'm thinking that I will buy and install a new pipe to ease the mess up there. So I'd still like advice on the most efficient size/material vent pipe to install to make a shorter run.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here