Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hutchlake

W4840 Miele Water path Control unit

hutchlake
9 years ago

Mine seems to not be working. I get this clicking sound and then the machine drains and goes into DOOR BLOCKED FAULT...door isnt blocked because you can press start and it starts wash cycle all over. I have removed cover and found this unit. There is a red "gear" that does not seem to want to turn via other smaller gears. I can get it to turn with help from screw driver...so basically I need to sit close to machine, and when I hear the "clicking" I need to "help" spin that gear to get it to next water "add" cycle. Just wondering if I can fix this or if I need a new unit?

Thanks for helping
V

Comments (25)

• moon1234
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This happened to our W4840 about a year ago. I made a video which you can see here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy6WfOMSZ5U

I was doing the same thing you were. The problem comes from hard water which eventually causes extra wear on the gears. I took mine apart and found some really worn teeth.

Purchased a new water path control unit and problem was fixed.

• fahrenheit_451
    9 years ago

@moon1234,

May I ask the part number, where you purchased (I assume directly from Miele), and the approximate cost?

Great information and video. We are now past the five year mark and I want to be proactive about keeping ours running. We have a water softener that I use potassium as the expendable, but time takes it toll on the these water parts as you've witnessed. Thanks.

Tags: F63 (Yes, I know this forum does not use tags, but at least if someone is searching they will come across this thread a bit easier.)

This post was edited by fahrenheit_451 on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 17:39

• moon1234
    9 years ago

Purchased direct from Miele. The part number is on the sticker on the top of the water path control unit. I think it was $80-$100 plus shipping, but it has been over a year now.

Get the service manual too: DTD no. 11-4800

An internet search on the document number should get you the PDF.

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

An internet search on the document number should get you the PDF.

Like this one:

http://www.rakerappliancerepair.com/NephewClub/Diagnostics/Washers/Miele/Miele%20Washer%20Ser%20Man%20W4800-W4840.pdf

• fahrenheit_451
    9 years ago

I've had the service manual for a while, but thanks for listing it so others can find it too. Thanks for the info!

• sshrivastava
    9 years ago

Is there a service manual for the T9802 dryer?

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

For the dryer manual

Here is a link that might be useful: try this link

• hutchlake
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ordered new part...$140 ish I think. I will get part number when it gets here...hopefully 2moro. I'm tired of manually turning gear.

Thanks for all replies...Service manual question though...Is it a true service manual or just the manual that comes with it when initially purchased ?

Thanks

• moon1234
    9 years ago

It is a true service manual. You do have to have some electrical/mechanical and plumbing knowledge. It is not a "For Dummies" service manual and not the manual that comes with the washer.

• hutchlake
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok water parh control is fixed but now the soap dispenser tray will not stay closed, what did I forget?

• moon1234
    9 years ago

There is a small spring in the back that most people remove as it causes the dispenser to pop open during the cycle. You will see it if you look. Just save it somewhere, but it is not really needed. Should stay closed after that.

• hutchlake
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Moon1234...ya know I was messing with that earlier today trying to figure things out...just never occurred to me to "omit" it...

Thanks again

• bashab_banerjee
    8 years ago

I am not a talented handyman ;(, Please send photos to make the job easier.

• cathleen21
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone. I have a Miele W4802 that had a problem with the red gear getting stuck. If anyone is considering buying the newer version of the water path control unit, the number is 06642234. Miele told me the part was redesigned in January 2015, so I decided to go with it, assuming full compatibility. The part is $263, all in with shipping, direct from Miele.

When changing out the part, I had a very hard time reattaching the 3-pronged connector, which I had left attached to the short grey hoses, to the new unit, while keeping the unit angled over the soap drawer. When I compared the diameters of the holes of the black rubber caps, it seemed the hole on the new part was smaller than the hole on the old part, so I used the old part, and the connector went in with the proper amount of friction, and everything is operating fine at the moment.

I agree with Mandraketeck -- Miele tech support is very helpful, and for reference, my machine is exactly 5 years old. Thanks for the helpful posts.

• bobbi1023
    5 years ago

Is it possible to get pictures for this fix. My machine is acting up with the gears clicking and throwing the F63 fault.

• bobbi1023
    5 years ago

And yet again the fault returns. Guess we will be tearing the machine apart :l Of course I had bath towels in it when the fault occurred. I love this machine but am not sure how long I am going to put up with this reoccurring problem. Always happens at the most inconvenient of times!

• bobbi1023
    5 years ago

This time the gears are fine and all aligned. The red gear is turning smoothly, but whatever that gear turns is clicking :L Trying to find photos of the top of the underside of the lid to the soap dispenser. Guess I need to take that apart. Not sure what I will find. Need to go out this afternoon and I think I will drop by my local appliance store and see what they have available. Hubby and I are getting too old for yearly fixes on this miele. It makes me sad. I really do love this machine.

• Mitchell Leitman
    4 years ago

Hi. What was the outcome? I am getting a similar clicking sound and the machine stopping on my W4802 (no display, so it doesn't indicate F63). I'm trying to decide if I repair or replace this machine. This is the 3rd repair on this machine in the past 8 years of ownership. I will need to pay for it's repair (including service) and am trying to get a sense of the cost of repair. Miele Canada charges $250 just to show up to diagnose.

• C J
    4 years ago

Depending on the number of operating hours you have put on the machine, you may be nearing end of life. I had to replace my w4840 in less than 8 years after multiple repairs. I do not think it was one of Miele’s best units. Part of the problem (just a guess) may have been that it was underdesigned for the volume. Note that the much physically smaller newer W1 machine has the same pound capacity for laundry despite its much smaller drum. The Miele 4840s were not designed to hold full drums of laundry and were therefore easily overloaded. Regardless, I personally would not put tons of money into an older 4840 model. Many people have found themselves replacing those machines in less than 10 years (and I believe design life is 10,000-15,000 hours).

• Mitchell Leitman
    4 years ago

I think we're at approximately 8,000 hours

• C J
    4 years ago

Well, that’s a difficult call, as one keeps on wondering what will break next. And it’s always a pain to do the necessary research and go shopping for a new machine when one doesn’t have a working model. I had two w4840 machines die premature deaths. I think other Mieles models are better bets, but I still wouldn’t put appreciable money into an 8 year old machine.

• Mitchell Leitman
    4 years ago

My wife set a (CDN) $1000 threshold. Above that and we're off to the shops. I'll know more later this afternoon.

• Cavimum
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Our W4842 is 8 1/2 years old. One year ago we had to replace the electronics board. Ugh. We have had the washer door latch worked on a few years ago. Last month, the gasket ring broke and fell off. I saved $250 by replacing that $25 part myself. If there are any more expensive repairs, I'll likely replace it instead and definitely not with a another MIele.

• Mitchell Leitman
    4 years ago

So the cost is just under $500. I'll be sticking with the machines for a while yet. It was the water path control unit. The part cost in Canada is C$225 (US$168). That's interesting since it's US$245 in the USA. I'm guessing that tariffs come into play, coupled with free trade between Canada and the EU.