Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfob

Are LG WT5101 and Kenmore 29272 the same washers?

jfob
12 years ago

I had pretty much narrowed down my decision on a new washer to the LG WT5101, and just saw a black friday ad for Sears for the Kenmore Elite 29272, which looks pretty much the same and will be on sale for significantly less. I know LG makes at least some of the Kenmores, which led me to wonder if they're the same. The Sears support center was of no help. I'm most interested in whether the Wave Force technology is in the Kenmore as well, and whether there are many complaints with the Kenmore. I know the LG has pretty solid reviews. Thanks!

p.s. - Gates1 - are you still happy with your LG a year later?

Comments (29)

• dadoes
    12 years ago

Assuming 29272 is full model 796.29272000, it is sourced from LG. I can't otherwise say how alike or different are the two machines.

• jfob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! Any reason not to go with the Kenmore?

• markb
    12 years ago

I would buy whichever I could get the best price on.

• jfob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One other question about the warranty - the LG's is 10 years on the motor and lifetime on the drum vs. Kenmore's 1 year parts and labor. How likely is the drum and/or motor the thing to go?

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

The Kenmore has the same 10 year warranty on the motor.
    It quite likely is the same washing machine or darn close.

We have only had ours for 5 days and done 6 loads, so far its fantastic.

BTW we only paid $728 each ($857.00 each counting tax, delivery and cord kit) for both the Washer and matching dryer and it is the LG, not the Kenmore.

What kind of price do they have for Black Friday?

• jfob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in the same ballpark as you on price for the LG. The black friday sale is on the Kenmore set. I haven't yet been able to find the LG set in a black friday sale.

• mrb627
    12 years ago

Be careful what and how you wash with these machines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Waveforce Troubles

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

What or how you wash has zip to do with it. Unless you put a brick in it.
    When that happens it is a defective machine, in this case it is the auto shut off sensor (Accelerometer) that is supposed to recognize when the load of off balance and stop the machine. If it malfunctions then it will just keep on spinning until BOOM.
    But this is nothing new to high spin rate washers, there are cases from just about every model and every manufacturer of machines with high spin rates.

Same for the European ones.

http://conversation.which.co.uk/energy-home/faulty-hoover-candy-washing-machines-not-recalled/

Anything goes wrong during a spin cycle when it is whipping along at over 1000rpm and its not going to be good.

• jfob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So now Sears is telling me the Kenmore Elite 29272 does not have the internal heater or the add water feature (after I was told yesterday it was essentially the same machine as the LG). Can anyone with the 29272 please verify? Thank you.

• mrb627
    12 years ago

So it's a TIME BOMB waiting to go off?

That's not good at all!

MRB

• dadoes
    12 years ago

796.29272000 (the Kenmore Elite model ... again, assuming that *is* the correct unit) does show a water heating element on the parts diagram at SearsPartsDirect.com.

LG WT5101 comes up as WTW5101HV and WT5101HW. Both also show a heating element. In fact, the parts diagrams of the KM is virtually identical to the LG except for difference in the control panel design.

• markb
    12 years ago

Whoever is telling you that the Kenmore Elite 29272 does not have the internal heater or 'add water' feature is full of $h*t. You can read the owners manual online to compare the Kenmore unit with the LG unit.

To read the Kenmore manual online, go to the Sears website. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Sears Websites". Then click on "Manage My Life." This will open up a new webpage. Click on "Manuals" on the top of the page. Enter the product number (29272) in the box under "Find Owners Manuals" and click search. You will be able to read the owners manual (pdf format) to your hearts content.

• markb
    12 years ago

I bought the LG unit on July Fourth. I chose it over the Kenmore unit because I got a better deal. I'm sure I would have been equally happy with the Kenmore unit.

These machines wash extremely well and don't wrinkle clothes like the Whirlpool sourced products do. Ask me how I know.

• jfob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the info! When you call Sears now you can't actually speak to an in-store salesperson, you get routed to a call support center where they are cleary, well, markb summed it up pretty well. I think I can save at least $350 on the Kenmore set over the LG, so it sounds like that may be the way to go!

• dadoes
    12 years ago

jfob, nowadays one has to do one's own research rather than relying on uninformed sales personnel. There are many resources available. It's not difficult to find instruction manuals and parts diagrams online to compare and confirm features. However, I have run across a few instances of errors in the information. Keep in mind also that operational features and control options can quickly be changed via software revision, so it's possible for an initial/original model release of a particular machine to be a little different than a later/current version and the documentation may not immediately reflect the difference.

• montel (CA US 10b/Sunset 16)
    12 years ago

I found the LG (Graphite Colored) units at Home Depot on sale for Black Friday...might want to compare prices.

• jfob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, dadoes. I did the comparison check online but it's not very specific and, being new at this, I didn't think to compare the manuals.

montel - where are you finding Home Depot's black friday ads? Everything I see says it's not yet released.

The graphite color seems to be on sale all over, but not the white. Perhahps they're revamping the graphite color due to the bubbling issue and trying to get rid of them?

• montel (CA US 10b/Sunset 16)
    12 years ago

I found their "Black Friday Savings Now" Deal - LINK

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

Well that makes me feel better.
    We paid $728 each for our LG WT510H Washer and Dryer.

Their Black Friday deal is still $799 each, although they have free delivery which saves $69.
    So we still ended up paying about $70 less for the pair than even the Black Friday deals.

• jfob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Why, if the machines are essentially the same, are the reviews on the Kenmore so mixed and on the LG pretty consistently good? Are the control boards the same? (I know, I have to check the manuals but am just sharing a thought). It's making me very uneasy about the Kenmore.

• gates1
    12 years ago

I have the wave force with teh internal heater, and yes Kenmore makes a model with one too. Ive had mine in Jan and it has been great, no issues. As far as that video is concerned, the owners overloaded the machinem as they state in the video what was put in it, plus they did not use the bulky cycle. They went through two of them and destroyed both of them. I can wash king size comforters with ease, unless, they are super thick, then its too much for any residential washer. I have washed 3 sets of queen size sheets plus 12 pillow cases with ease. Everything came out great and I had te spin cycle set on the highest setting. The only thing anyone want to check on is Sears extended warranty prices, they were stupid high when I was shopping for my set. Home Depot ran a killer sales on the machine and warranties. I got my set for 1500 plus a 5 year warranty included. I dont regret my purchase at all

• impliedconsent
    12 years ago

I concur with gates1 above. The manual clearly states to use the bulky/bedding selection: "Use the Bulky/Bedding cycle for items such as pillows, comforters and other articles which have difficultly absorbing water. ONLY
    WASH SMALL LOADS to make sure there is plenty of room for the load to move during washing. Keep like items together; do not mix large bulky items with smaller clothing items. Failure to follow these instructions may result in damage to the clothing or to the washer."

I have it in Spanish too ... XD

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to WT5101xx Manual

• jfob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks - I'm not concerned with the video - if that was a regular occurrence there'd be no way the washer would remain on the market, or at the very least there would be a ton of reviews on it.

Ok, I've decided on the LG - just working the best deal I can get. For some reason the graphite color is currently on sale for less than the white, but I seem to remember reading a problem with the graphite color bubbling. Anyone know anything or have any experience with this? Thanks.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

The finish on ours looks flawless.
    I cant imagine it bubbling at this point, looks just too perfect.

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

I was at HD yesterday and was also wondering why the LG graphite was less than white....I had never seen that before! You always pay $100 more for color. Of course salesman had no explanation either.....what is bubbling? Peeling "paint?" Was ready to buy the graphite, but now not so sure....

• jfob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw it somewhere - I think that it was some type of coating having an issue, but I don't see it referenced in any of the reviews, and none of the sales people in all the different stores I went to said they've had complaints about it, so I went ahead and bought them today. I got them through home depot, too. The graphite is on sale everywhere, but not the white. Joaniepoanie - I don't know where you are but, if you really want white, I found calling Warehouse Discount Center or Pacific Sales with my price quotes and asking if they could beat the price led both to offer me a lower price in white. They clearly had no idea the graphite was on sale everywhere. Finally got the lowest price from HD though, and they wouldn't price match on the white. If you've got access to Fry's, they're running a pretty decent special - the ad is online - call the store to get the true price - it's lower than the ad. Used it as my bargaining tool.

• gates1
    12 years ago

I was the one who taled about the bubbling of the stainless coating. Last year when I bought mine in home depot, if you opened the dryer door and looked in the corners you could see it. If this happens after the one year warranty, it is NOT covered by any extended warranty, because it is not a operating defect, its a comestic one as told to me LG customer service. I have not see it since, they must of fixed or sold them off. I seen it in three different home depot stores too.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

I just went and looked at mine once again very closely in the area you just mentioned.
    Absolutely perfect.

In fact these are probably the best looking set of washer dryer that I have ever seen.
    The hinges are very nice, all stainless and solid, the finish is perfect, seems like a very well put together washer and dryer.