Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ram_madras_gw

Miele W1918 Inlet hoses replacement part.

ram_madras
10 years ago

Our hot water inlet hose for Miele W1918 is about to burst. I'm looking for a replacement hose. The Miele replacement hose cost USD 58 each in the States. I found a UK shop sell replacement hose for Miele's but they were not OEM.

I was looking to replace the inlet hose for W1918 with a steel braided hose. Can I use a generic steel braided hose from Home Depot? Any caveats in going down that route?

Any response will be appreciated.

Thanks much.

Comments (4)

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

Yes! Be sure you maintain the double filtration points in the water line, particularly the one closest in to the washer's distribution hub. (There are filters at BOTH ends of the intake hoses. ) Without the high level of filtration to catch tiny particles, you may wind up having to replace the plastic distribution hub which will make the hoses seem like cheap throwaway parts. It is very easy to damage those little filters, so be careful when switching hoses. Don't try to pry them out with a needle nose pliers. (I know this from experience!) The filter cones are not expensive, and I'd suggest getting an extra one to keep on hand in case of future failure.

The hoses are absurdly expensive, I have to agree.

L.

• ram_madras
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks much for the response. If I have to parse your statement correctly, it's OK to use a generic hose, but the little filters have to be attached to both ends, correct?

Thanks again.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

Well, Miele hose would be better than a garden variety one because I think it is better quality than plain jane black rubber. But the plain version will still deliver the water to your machine. I think you can also buy better quality washer inlet hoses at some stores.

If you love your Miele 1918 as much as I love mine, you might want to treat it to the generic (non-Miele) version of the better quality hose. This is particularly true if you aren't in the habit of actually turning the water off at the tap between washing sessions. I do turn my tap off, but if I routinely left it on I would spring for the better hose as insurance against it bursting.

I don't know if the threads of the hose end are some European version of standard hose thread. I know I have both of my hoses (both hot and cold lines) connected to a garden variety Y, that in turn is connected to my cold tap. It's been that way for well more than a decade and I haven't noticed any subtle leakage, so I rather think the hose threads match whatever is commonly found in the US.

But yes, you do have to make sure you harvest then re-use (or buy new ones) the filters on both ends of both of the hoses. Sometimes the in-board one (meaning one closest to the machine) gets kind of stuck in the hose; sometimes it's stuck in the inlet itself. Just unscrew the (original) hose carefully and take the time to find - and extract - both sets of filter cones.

You defintely do not want tiny bits iof pipe rust to get into the machine because it will irretrievably block some of the tiny little emitters that deliver water above the detergent drawer. Those emitters have specific moments when they deliver water during the various fill, pre-wash, and rinse cycles. Having them blocked is ore than just not gettng enough water. It's more about ot getting enough water at the right point in the cycle.

Good luck.

L.

• ram_madras
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks much for the response. If I have to parse your statement correctly, it's OK to use a generic hose, but the little filters have to be attached to both ends, correct?

Thanks again.