Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spinaway

Miele 1918 vs 3038; 8003 v 1520

spinaway
9 years ago

Hi everyone. First time poster.

I am fixing up a recently purchased cottage where I will live full time. I needed a very compact washer /dryer and really wanted the dryer to be vented. I found a new pair of the discontinued Bosch vented stack and a final new 8003. I bought the 8003 which means I will buy the batching 3038 washer - reluctantly as it is no longer 208/220 - which the Bosch still is.
(Am I making the right decision? The Miele stack will be about $1,000 more)

But, to this post, my weekend cabin I noticed has a 1918/1520 stack which works quite well. (I never did the laundry here before, now I am).

This of course is much older but good condition.

Which would you rather have as your primary machines? Reliability is important to me as well. I assume the answer is the newer set.

And are the Little Giants - excepting size - better than all of these?

Comments (8)

• recordaras
    9 years ago

Oh, and I personally would also use the older set till it died (which might still be a while), and only then invest in a new washer.

This post was edited by recordaras on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 11:20

• spinaway
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you.

My question is since I have both pairs and two locations, which should I use as my primary stack? The older but more powerful 1918 or the brand new stack.

Thanks!

• spinaway
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And I just started doing my laundry. Before a cleaning person did.

But I don't think I will use super hot but I don't really know. I am still learning.

• recordaras
    9 years ago

I'd try both out and see which set you prefer - I know I have an old cheap iron that I much prefer to my brand new expensive Rowenta, so you never know. :)
    Just looking at the instruction manual of the 1918, I LOVE the controls, and how much freedom it gives you.

The 3038 won't reach boiling hot temperatures (it's max is 70C/160F) and the max spin is a little lower (1300 vs 1600), so for some loads you might prefer the 1918. It also has more specialized settings, like Pillows (which you can use for any down) and Outerwear, which you might feel more comfortable using for those types of items.

So just give it a go, and let us know which you ended up preferring!

• miele1966
    9 years ago

The 1918 is one of Miele's best washers, ever. Quality wise, you will not find anything better compared to today's machines. It is a very versatile machine. The Bosch is a very good machine too, in all honesty. I have owned Miele and Bosch and have been more than satisfied with the quality, the life span of the machines, and the cleaning is top notch. The Bosch that I own is now 12 years old and in use for the past 7 years, for a family of 4 at my sisters house. It has washed for a family of 4-5 for more than half it's life. One repair for motor brushes at about the 6 year mark, and that is it. Bosch and Miele know how to make some good laundry machines. Keep them both!

• spinaway
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you.

I definitely will keep both Miele sets.

Just now wondering which washer to put in my higher use primary residence vs the weekend cottage.

Cheers-

• spinaway
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you.

I definitely will keep both Miele sets.

Just now wondering which washer to put in my higher use primary residence vs the weekend cottage.

Cheers-