Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FL washer with mechanical controls?

Posted by bernse (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 11:12

My folks live in a place with poor power, and it always seems to run on the high side, pushing 130V. They and the other people that live close to them have a hard time keeping their new-ish washers alive as the electrics die in them. After many talks to the power officials who are in denial about a power problem, they're resigned to live with it.

Is there still a FL made that has mostly mechanical controls? I know that the old Frigemore FLs do, but not sure about others. I know that most (all?) with boards will convert to DC, but some seem less able to cope. Whirlpool/Maytag for sure as those are the ones that are dying all the time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FL washer with mechanical controls?

After many talks to the power officials who are in denial about a power problem, they're resigned to live with it.
If 130v is MEASURED and confirmed at your outlets, then there's nothing questionable or deniable about it. The power company is saying that 130v is within allowable parameters?

o

I think speed queen makes a front loaders with mechanical controls, check their website

o

Current Speed Queen frontloaders that I've seen have electronic controls. The dial is rotary, but it's a selector for the control board, not a mechanical timer.

o

I've been thinking about this, a bit more. I think a high quality washer with a good quality power inverter/control board might be good enough. The Maytag/Whirlpool ones aren't obviously cut out for it, but maybe a commercial rated one would be?

If 130v is MEASURED and confirmed at your outlets, then there's nothing questionable or deniable about it. The power company is saying that 130v is within allowable parameters?
No, my outlets are probably closer to 110V. My in-laws however are 129-130V and the power company said it is within their standards. Their neighbors are approximately the same as well (127-129). It really hasn't been a huge issue as only their Whirlpool washer has bit the dust and other appliances seem OK and have been in use (for the most part) for years.

This is not mainland US or Canada. It is an island in the Caribbean that the power company uses diesel generators to create the AC. They do however buy their stuff in Florida.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here