Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LG WT5101 Capacity

Posted by impliedconsent (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 9, 11 at 10:57

We bought our LG WT5101HW Sept 2010. Then, it was advertised as a 5.2cu. ft.(it still is, google it) Ultra Large Capacity washer. Today, I see this same model number being advertised as a 4.5cu. ft. washer. Which is it? Capacity was one of the primary considerations on purchasing this top loader.

Any insight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LG WT5101 Capacity

I think it depends on which method is used to state drum capacity.

DOE (Department of Energy) or IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission).

For example, a top load washer that features a 3.2 cubic-foot capacity wash basket, as measured by the DOE. In comparison, front load washers that tout a capacity of 3.7 cubic-feet, as rated by the IEC seem like they hold more. However, the wash basket itself is only 3.2 cubic-feet, the exact same size as the top loader.

The difference is the lack of the agitator taking up space. So even though it's only a 3.2 cubic-foot drum, the "usable space" is equivalent to that of a 3.7 cubic-foot drum with an agitator.

o

That sounds correct, the IEC capacity would be about 5.2 while the DOE capacity would be 4.5cu.ft.
LG like ALL companies changed to the DOE rating in April of this year thus the IEC rating of 5.2 changed to 4.5cu.ft DOE.

Here is the statement made by AHAM.

Here is a link that might be useful: AHAM

o
[solved] lg wt5101 capacity mystery

TY George and Nunya - that solves the mystery and now I know why. Thanks, great answers.

o

Impliedconsent,

Are you happy with the washer. Does it wash king size quilts without balance problems?

Thank you

o

Gramma - we are very happy with our washer. I went from the stinky 1999 Neptune to this LG. We do toss in our king-size comforters, but we do that maybe monthly. It will take up the whole drum. All of our other laundry ... such a breeze and no mildew smell. What a relief.

o

Implied,

Thank you! I'm thinking one is in our future.

o

I have one too, no issues with it doing king size quilts unless they are super thick, then it is too large for the washer. I can easily wash 3 sets of queen size sheets in it plus 12 pillow cases. I use the bedding cycle when i do this. Very happy with the results

o

Thank you gates 1. Nice to have more confirmation that this is likely to work for us - with our personal quilts and our dog blankets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here