Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

dryer outlet blown?

Posted by cootielu (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 17, 10 at 10:36

To start, I know absolutely nothing about electrical circuitry.
We came home from being away 2 days and our dryer will not turn on. It was working fine the day we left. I flipped the breaker switches to the laundry room and then tried the entire house and that didn't help, so we figure it's the dryer. However, I tried to plug a vacuum into an outlet today in our kitchen and no go. Another one in the kitchen worked fine. Tried the breakers again but it didn't help.

So, we are thinking the dryer problem is the outlet. However, if the breaker switch doesn't help it then how do we fix it? And why is it two different random outlets in our house that are not necessarily close to one another? We haven't checked any other outlets.

BTW, we have a new home, built in 2004, and it has some protection, like if our child sticks a screwdriver in the outlet it's suppose to shut it down and not electrocute her. We haven't tested this of course!

Any help would be appreciated!


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: dryer outlet blown?

Did you properly push the panel breaker switch all the way to its off position to actually reset the switch? This must be done to reset the switch; simply pushing back to the ON position will not properly reset the switch.

Also, is your dryer a gas model dryer? This would entail your dryer running off a 110V outlet.

Look for the GFCI switch in your house to determine whether it kicked off, and reset it.


RE: dryer outlet blown?

How do I "properly push the panel breaker switch all the way to its off position to actually reset the switch"? I pushed the switch over to off and then pushed it back to on again. isn't that how you do it?

Thanks for your help

RE: dryer outlet blown?

If the breaker actually tripped, you will feel some resistance when you go you reset by pushing it further to the off position. It feels somewhat like a stiff spring. That stiffness while pushing resets the breaker inside.

Switching off a breaker normally versus a breaker tripping itself will have exhibit no further resistance as it has reached the full OFF position through you manually switching it OFF.

RE: dryer outlet blown?

You've checked the breakers and if you're uncomfortable with electricity you should then get someone competent to come and look at it and test the outlets. You could buy a circuit tester if you wanted though I think it'd be work a few dollars to call an electrician.

The dryer could be a problem with the outlet or the dryer itself. It'd take some more diagnosis to determine which. If it's a gas dryer, you could try a different outlet or as I said before you could get a circuit tester.

If it's a gas dryer, it's possible the outlet you tried in the other area is on the same circuit as the dryer and it could be a bad breaker. There's a lot of possibilities.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here