Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
afruscione_gw

temperatures of Bosch WAS24460UC?

afruscione
14 years ago

I am calling the Bosch customer support line, but they are truly useless!

Does anyone know what temperatures correspond to the

cold,warm,hot,extra hot in this washing machine?

I also asked where is it made and the person said it is made in the USA, but I think it is not true for this machine. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Comments (35)

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

I have that machine.

Made in Germany -- says that on the door.

Would love to know the wash temps. It also has an Extra Hot setting which only works with heavy duty.

• afruscione
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Did you actually get this info from Bosch? That's great!
    But now I am really confused. This machines only has 4 temperatures as far as I can see: cold, warm, hot, extra hot.
    How come they are quoting all this different numbers?
    Are these the temperatures you get if you do not select a temperature manually? Can you do such a thing (select a program but not a temperature)?

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Yes, from Bosch tech support. I asked the same questions you are asking and I agree it sounds confusing. I'm so glad you asked the question -- thanks! I was wondering the same thing myself as I have been using the machine for a few weeks but never got around to calling.

I think I can explain a bit.

Basically, they tell me the cycles control the temps -- . You wash on Perm Press and it gives you 95 degree water. Dark colors is 86, etc.

But some them can be altered by using the water temp settings. F.ex. cotton default is hot (120 LOL) but you can adjust to extra hot 170.

They made this into Laundry for Dummies. But this machine does a great job. I do really like it a lot.

Do you have it or are you shopping?

• dadoes
    14 years ago

Some machines nowadays, including toploaders with ATC, may run different target temps on the same temp setting depending upon the fabric or cycle selection. Warm for a delicate fabric setting may be a lower "warm" than warm on a cottons or heavy fabric setting.

• afruscione
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh I so wish they let me decide what temperature I want for my load!
    But I guess this is all we get.
    Thanks for your help!

• afruscione
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is the table I finally got from Bosch (it is an "official" PDF file in reality)

Cotton
    16/10 C - 60/50 F cold
    34/31 C - 93/87 F warm
    55/53 C - 131/127 F hot
    Perm Press
    16/10 C - 60/50 F cold
    34/31 C - 93/87 F warm
    55/53 C - 131/127 F hot
    Delicates
    16/10 C - 60/50 F cold
    30/27 C - 86/80 F warm
    Hand Wash
    16/10 C - 60/50 F cold
    30/27 C - 86/80 F warm
    Wool
    16/10 C - 60/50 F cold
    30/27 C - 86/80 F warm
    XXTRASanitary
    68/65 C - 154/149 F extra hot
    Speed Wash
    16/10 C - 60/50 F cold
    34/31 C - 93/87 F warm
    SportsWear
    16/10 C - 60/50 F cold
    34/31 C - 93/87 F war,
    Dark Colors
    16/10 C - 60/50 F cold
    34/31 C - 93/87 F warm
    Silk / Satin
    16/10 C - 60/50 F cold
    30/27 C - 86/80 F warm
    KidsCare
    16/10 C - 60/50 F cold
    34/31 C - 93/87 F warm
    55/53 C - 131/127 F hot
    Soak
    16/10 C - 60/50 F cold
    30/27 C - 86/80 F warm

• moon1234
    14 years ago

Who washes anything in 50F water? That won't get anything clean without a ton of chemicals. I just purchased this washer, has not arrived yet. I am starting to worry a little. I also own the Miele W4840 and it is a very logical machine. Temps on the Miele are 20-70C in 10c steps that you can manually select. Very logical.

Sheesh, will I have to have this chart taped to the wall to know what temp I want? The old WFK-2401 that died had a simple wash knob that went from cold to power temp boost. I could select the temp I wanted.

Do I know need to somehow remeber when washing diapers that I need to do a refresh cycle first (Which I think is really a rinse and spin) followed by a cottons warm then a cotton hot to get rid of any remaning suds?

Is it just me or does it seem strange that there is no program with a temp between 93 and 127? There is no 100, 110 or 120 degree cycle? Really? I personally consider warm to be around 110 degrees, very warm around 125-130, hot around 150 and sanitary somewhere between 170 and 210F.

Anyone else have the same thoughts?

• hidroman
    14 years ago

moon1234,
    agree with you.

I guess they made this change to achieve higher "energy star" ratings. But this is also the best way to assure a moldy future to the machine ....

I really can't catch this mindset : IMHO the customer should not be fooled about actual temps. Oxigen bleaches contented in powders require 140°C at least to be effective.

Not a case here nobody wipes the rubber boot after washing and yet nobody has mold issues. Also almost everybody leave the door with the latch not engaged (almost close). That small gap is enoughto avoid mold. There is need to keep the door totally open (it's also annoying)

It's **user wisdom** to decide about the proper temp both to save energy but also to avoid mold issues.
    Also here in Europe "cold is the new trend".It makes sense to refr as warm/hot in a toploader without internal heater. Once a machine has its own heater refering just to "warm" and "hot" is a nonsense. At least here we are informed about actual temps (they are really displayed on dials/lcd screens rather than "warm" "hot" and we can take our decisions :

tap cold
    20°C - 77°F (ultimate trend )
    30°C - 86°F almost warm (non colorfast and delicates
    40°C - 105°F warm (non colorfast and delicates)
    50°C - 120°F very warm (nylon)
    60°C - 140°F hot (colourfast and whites with eastic)
    75°C - 167°F very hot (whites and sturdy colors)
    95°C - 203°F boilwash (whites)

• suburbanmd
    14 years ago

The gap between 93F and 127F makes a lot of financial sense for the manufacturer, now that I think about it. Warm washes are weighted most heavily in determining Modified Energy Factor. So reducing the warm temperature helps achieve a lower MEF. In turn, lower MEF helps the manufacturer qualify for tax credits. And since we've all been led to believe (or at least allowed to believe) that these temperature reductions are federally mandated, we've gone along with it.

• moon1234
    14 years ago

Let me get this straight. Bosch essentially eliminated the ability to do any type of wash with water temps between 93F and 127F because of tax breaks? Do we get to blame Bosch when people use more bleach (which is terrible for the environment) due to the lousy water temps?

I have until tomorrow to cancel the order. I just wish I could justify the cost of the Miele W3033. At least Miele has a custom cycle that will let you have the wash temps that you really want.

Maybe I need to call Bosch and get a hold of the "official" wash temps for myself.

• cryptandrus
    14 years ago

moon1234, you said you wish you could justify the cost of the Miele 3033.

I just wanted to let you know that I just bought one this month and we LOVE it.

After about a year of researching and shopping around I was lucky enough to buy mine as a floor model from a local Authorized Miele dealer. It was discounted 25% so I got it for "only" $1490.

I know there are some Energy Star retailer instant Rebates that will be in effect for a short time in mid-April. In my state the W3033 would qualify for a 15% instant rebate.

You might want to look into this, it may make this model affordable.

I was planning on waiting to buy mine then, and was just stopping by the store to talk to a salesperson about how to work the details. I got very nervous when I saw that their Miele showroom was being remodeled and the W3033 was no longer on display.

That's when I found out it had just been moved to the sales floor, and was the floor sample they pulled was just marked down. 25% off was better than the 15% I was going to get with the rebate, so I bought it that day.

It's a great machine. We really do love it.

• lee676
    13 years ago

Does anyone know if these rather odd temperature choices are also used on the less-expensive WAS20160UC model? (that's the same-sized, slightly less expensive model with knob-and-button controls, no LCD screen, a slower 1,000rpm spin, and a few missing features, but the same basic design and size and still 240V/15A). I have a chance to buy one of these at an absurdly low price.

I'm confused by the dual temperatures for each setting on the Dec. 1 '09 post. Is one of these for when "heavy duty" is selected or something?

Thx.

• jseeley
    13 years ago

This is pretty interesting. If the dual temp settings is a range, why is the large number first? Somewhere in this PDF, there should have been an explanation of the two figures. It BETTER NOT be HeatedTemp/IncomingTemp! Because I'm still confused over this. Will the internal heater increase the temp to selected cycles' associated temp regardless of the incoming temp? If not, how many degrees above the incoming temp can it increase?

I'm presuming both units have the same temps(WAS20160U and WAS24460UC) because they both have the same size heater. Is it 1350 watts?

According to the manual, the Heavy Duty feature is Extended Washing time.

Has anyone seen Bosch's price suggested price for the WAS24460UC? It's up to $ 1,449.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this mainly because of the brushless motor?
    Miele's looking better!

• lee676
    13 years ago

The 1350w heater figure is from their printed brochures, but it seems suspect given that wouldn't warrant going with 240V power since a 1350w heater would be possible with a 120V/15A washer, and the labeling on the machine itself indicates it draws 12 amps and (if I recall correctly) has a 2000w or 2200w heater, which would be more along the lines I expect from a 240V machine (Bosch used to advertise 2500W heaters).

Bosch currently sells a 120V compact washer based on their older, smaller-drum design that's advertised as having a 1800w heater IIRC - must heat at full capacity only when not tumbling.

• lee676
    13 years ago

> I'm presuming both units have the same temps(WAS20160U and WAS24460UC) because they both have the same size heater. Is it 1350 watts?

The WAS20160UC is clearly labeled as having a 2000W heater on the machine itself. It draws 12 amps at 240V. I don't know why some of their brochures list the heater as 1350w; that appears to be incorrect, and would make the 240V electrical requirement pointless.

Got another look at that "absurdly low priced" scratch-and-dent washer I referred to earlier. You know what they say about "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is"? $90 for a new Bosch washer seemed to good to be true, even for an obviously used-and-returned machine missing some parts and badly dented and scratched. The tag was meant to be placed on another item.

I may still buy it if they drop the price enough. I recently bought a used Miele W1926 and I need to move the nearby sink before there will be room for it - it's about 5" deeper (front-to-back) than the Bosch, despite having only about 75% its capacity (6kg rather than 8kg). Also, the Bosch weighs about 150 lbs, the Miele about 250 !! But the build quality on the Miele looks leagues ahead, and the controls are so much more straightforward. No inscrutable cycle names that leave you guessing as to what the machine will do (sportswear? kids clothes?), just obvious stuff like what temperature you want, in degrees F, and how fast it will spin. I just wish it fit more easily in the space I have. The smaller 5kg Miele would have been better for me - it's 4" shallower. But $195 for a Miele W1926 in excellent condition is a steal, and I jumped at the chance to buy it.

The now-defunct Expo sold me a Bosch 2460 about five years ago for about $275. I flipped it on eBay for $600 within a week. Now I wish I still had it....

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

moon -- I have the same temp thoughts as you do. It may be based on an Asko pair in our house. With those, I can set the temperature where I want it for each load.

I don't consider 127 hot. It's lukewarm.

FWIW I don't understand why I got different info (posted above) on the water temperatures. Also, when I touch the glass during cycles they told me use hotter water, the glass is waaaay hotter than 127.

• jseeley
    13 years ago

Lee676,

I still have a question about the Axxis internal Heater. Will the internal heater increase the water temp to the selected cycles' associated temp regardless of the incoming temp? If not, how many degrees above the incoming temp can it increase? My washer area is about 25 feet from the hot water heater. When I select a warm or hot cycle, room temp water will enter. I'm a bit concerned with this before I buy the Axxis.

Thank you so much,
    John

• moon1234
    13 years ago

The was24460uc heats water in all cycles. Don't use the eco button it turns off the heater. You could use only cold water and it will heat to the temp required for the cycle. Now that mystery temp is what I want to know.

I have e-mailed Bosch three times and they still can not seem to send me a PDF or any type of official info on what the temps are for the different cycles.

• lee676
    13 years ago

John, I *think* it will heat the water until it reaches the selected temperature, extending the wash cycle if necessary - that's how the older ones from a few years ago worked - but I'm not as familiar with the current model. If the owner's manual says you can connect the machine to just a cold water feed (as they did a few years ago), it should heat up to the proper temperature since it would have to. There are some other brands that, at least on some settings, have a time limit that takes precedence over reaching the set temperature, but I don't think the Bosch is like that.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

I called Bosch yesterday to ask the questions. The person answering was not only clueless about the product, she gave me different answers each time she went back to check.

First she told me the hottest water temp setting was 127 which is ludicrous because I can feel the water is hotter by touching the door. DUH.

She finally came back and said they don't have that info.

So they can sell you a $1500 preset washer (which I love btw so no complaints on how it works) but not give you any basic facts about its operation or temperature settings so you can judge how to wash your clothes.

This is a huge company which clearly is not functioning. I mean seriously, how hard is it to put that information on a website? Tragic.

• jseeley
    13 years ago

Everyone, Thanks so much. It clears it up for me. Looking forward to getting the WAS24460UC, waiting for some type of SALE. It's an expensive machine.
    Thanks

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

jseeley -- check the white sticker on the top, inside door. Mine says Made in Germany.

It's annoying that they don't give you the wash temps but it's a minor thing compared to the excellent performance. Once you get to know the settings it's automatic. I'm happy with this pair.

• jseeley
    13 years ago

rococogurl,
    Thanks for the reassurance on the Axxis Plus. Can't wait to get this pair. When sears or lowes has their next sale, I'm there!
    Thanks!

• lee676
    13 years ago

You may be waiting awhile, as I don't *think* either Sears or Lowes displays these (although both sell them - Sears item #2652, Lowes #36602). But they may be included in a "all Bosch appliances (or washers) 10% off" -type sale.

• moon1234
    13 years ago

I was finally able to get a response from Bosch with "Official" wash temperatures. I am posting the table below. For some reason the forum is inserting a long blank whitespace before the able, hopefully this is just in the preview.

Program
    Name
    Cold
    Warm
    Hot
    Extra Hot

Cotton
    -

Perm Press
    -

Delicates
    -
    -

Hand Wash
    -
    -

Wool
    -
    -

Soak
    -
    -

Drain
    -
    -
    -
    -

Spin
    -
    -
    -
    -

Rinse & Spin
    -
    -
    -
    -

Sanitary
    -
    -
    -

Quick Wash
    -
    -

Sports Wear
    -
    -

Dark Colors
    -
    -

Silk Satin
    -
    -

KidsCare
    -
    -

This info came from:

Lan Deal
    BSH Home Appliance Corporation
    Product Manager - Laundry, PW/NA-PM
    5551 McFadden Ave.
    Huntington Beach, CA 92649

• jseeley
    13 years ago

moon1234,
    Thanks so much for the effort in obtaining and posting these numbers! It's hard to compare these numbers to the ones posted by afruscione
    Thanks
    JS

• jseeley
    13 years ago

Sears has 20% off sale. But the only catch is, they offer 20% off of bosch's retail price of $1410. Not 20% off of their regular price. The WAS24460UC with 20% of is $1127.99 which still seems outrageous.

• lee676
    13 years ago

There really should be something around 105°F, what I most often use for general washing. I'd probably go with one of the two "hot" 120°F cycles most of the time then for a warm wash (that's how my Miele labels 120°F), and use Sanitary for a *real* hot wash.

Too bad Bosch is so secretive about something as crucial as what temperature the water will be, and leaves large gaps between those that they do offer. Otherwise, this is a very nice machine that packs a virtually full-size tub into very compact dimensions that can fit under a standard countertop.

• jseeley
    13 years ago

Does anyone know what the RPM's are for each spin setting: Gentle, Reduced, Regular and Max?
    Thanks

• jseeley
    13 years ago

Well,...I know the Max is 1200 RPM.. But what about the other 3? I though I read this somewhere here but each threads' search function isn't working...again.

• gardenspuds
    13 years ago

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I have a Bosch Nexxt Premium from about 2005. It was in the house when we moved in 2 1/2 yrs ago. WFMC6400UC.

I "recently" found a laminated sheet from Bosch that has a breakdown of all cycle temps and cycle lengths in table format, including how much longer each additional feature will take (for instance, "presoak" will add 30 min to any cycle, "rinse plus" will add 7-10 min. depending on the program selected). I don't know if this type of sheet is available for the newer washers? I wasn't doing my laundry properly, wasn't happy with the machine, but after finding this sheet and using more of the cycles, I'm enjoying the machine.

Anyway, on my machine the following temps are listed, whether run on cotton, perm. press, etc.

Cold 60 F
    Warm 95 F
    HOt 125 F
    Temp. Boost 150 F (cotton cycle only)
    Sanitary cycle 155 F
    Active Wear 85 F
    Delicates 90 F
    Hand Wash 75 F
    Wool 80 F

Barbara

• Vera Lang
    5 years ago

I have the same washer and coming from Europe I know that when the washer has an internal heating element it also must have a thermostat that is set to certain temperatures (not temperature ranges)!

After contacting Bosch Germany as well as Bosch Austria I got the same answers:

very hot = 60°C ~ 140°F

hot = 50°C ~ 120°F

warm = 30°C ~ 90°F

cold = 20°C ~ 70°F

extra hot (sanitize) = 90°C ~ 190°F

I hope that helps everyone in this discussion :)

• oldie365
    4 years ago

Our Miele Novotronic W-1986 makes strange noises when spinning. Miele no longer provides repair service in our area, and referred me to an independent repair company. When I spoke to them today I was not convinced that they would be able to fix my machine.

So now what? I love the hot temperature cycle -- 90C. This machine runs on 220V. The new Miele washer does not come close to reaching this high a temperature. It's also a 120V machine. The only way I can get the high temperature is to select Miele's Little Giant washer but it costs over $3,700.

If our washer can't be fixed -- what a great workhorse it is/was, giving us many years of faithful service without requiring a repair, ever...until now -- what maker is out there that offers a 220V washer with a high (90C) temperature?

• jwvideo
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The only one I recall is the Asko (Gorenje) model W4114. If you don't get any more responses here, you might have better luck by starting your own thread.