Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meaves_gw

Electrolux IQ-Touch Front Load Washer--Is this worth a return??

meaves
13 years ago

Just installed our new washer yesterday, and was super excited to run my first load. Upon removing the clothes, I noticed the rubber gasket around the front was warped. I played with it to try and get it to lay correctly, but it is not going anywhere. I really would hate to have to go through the hassle of a return--is this something that is going to affect the performance of the washer? Or should I push my OCD aside and deal with it? Thanks!

Comments (17)

• jakvis
    13 years ago

Double check that all packing bolts and materials have been removed.
    Some seal deflection is normal. yours looks to be a little boarderline.

Other things it could be...
    Could be the seal is not installed straight or the upper support springs are letting the tub assembly sit slightly too low

• asolo
    13 years ago

Agree some deformation is to be expected.....but not this much. On a brand new machine, I wouldn't accept it even for purely cosmetic reasons. In any event, I doubt very much talking about a return. This will be an on-site replacement of the boot. Would be surprised if you encountered any arguments about it.

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

Sadly, this is what mine looked like (when I tried an Electrolux Wave Touch set for about a month). I remember at Sears, before I bought them, the display units also had warped rubber rings as well (although yours do look more warped). When our set was delivered by Sears, the rubber on the washer was warped pretty bad. The delivery team & I also called Electrolux...said this was just a design issue, not a performance issue. I know the rubber seal on my Miele looks nothing like what you have. Also, in the past I had a Frigidaire and a Samsung washer...and the rubber was not warped like Electrolux is. It drove me crazy. I also think the rubber on the Electrolux felt thin and very cheap. Sorry, I know how you feel!

I do not know if my pictures post, but I will show you how the rubber looks on my Miele W4842 (and how I think it should look on all machines).
    [IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/deutsch100/Mielerubber.jpg[/IMG]

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

• asolo
    13 years ago

"....Electrolux...said this was just a design issue, not a performance issue."

Well, OK, but.....isn't that kind of like they're saying that if the dashboard on your new car is crooked at the time of delivery, no big deal because its a design issue, not a performance issue? As if to say you would have bought the unit anyway if you noticed it at time of purchase. I regard as unacceptable.

For the price of these machines, I don't see taking any prisoners with the issue. It's a brand new machine. It isn't right. Should be made right. Stuff happens over time. I accept that. I don't accept such obvious imperfections at the outset.

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

My Miele also has some rubber irregularities, but not to this extent. However, look at it this way. Is your machine functioning as expected? Is the warped rubber causing other problems? If not, think about the possibility that the machine you exchange it for may have a better looking rubber seal, but may have other issues.

My rubber seal looks like Larsi's, although it does shape shift depending on the temperature of the wash, etc. I would agree that yours is a little out of the ordinary, but it still works. The other thing you can try is removing the rubber seal yourself and re-installing it. That may correct the issue.

• asolo
    13 years ago

Yo, sshrivastava....

With respect....and I do mean respect because I have read many of your other posts........this is silly. Brand new machine with obviously defective boot. Have no idea why you're attempting to justify this. Needs to be made right.

"The other thing you can try is removing the rubber seal yourself and re-installing it. That may correct the issue."

Oh, hell! This is NOT the consumer's issue. The buyer shouldn't have to deal with any component of this. Let the vendor make it right. I don't know why you would suggest otherwise.

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

@asolo: I don't think an irregular rubber boot is a reason for returning an otherwise functioning machine. Sorry. I experience fluctuations in the bends and folds of the gasket in my Miele, and it changes from one wash to another. This is something that may correct itself over time, change shape, etc. My suggestions are based on the fact that if you have the machine replaced, the new one may have an even worse defect.

With that said, there's no reason why Electrolux can't send someone out to replace the gasket. However, I would not return the entire machine for something like this.

• asolo
    13 years ago

Agree such fluctuations are to be expected over the entire volume of production. Agree not worthy of return of machine. Agree replacement of boot on-site all that is appropriate -- should have been clear about my opinion of that. And have no doubt will be done gratis without much discussion.

• matt.shaver
    13 years ago

I'm thinking of getting a set of these...how do you like them thus far? How has customer service been with Electrolux?

• mrb627
    13 years ago

Does the boot get worse when the machine is loaded and washing? I imagine it does. If it were my set, I would make them replace the boot. If the replacement is just as bad, you should have the option to return it. You should be 100% satisfied with your purchase, IMO. Typically, you will have these longer than that new car.

MRB

• oregpsnow
    13 years ago

My relatively cheap Whirpool set is 4 years old and has no fluctuations in the bends and folds of the gasket. What would cause the bends? Overloading, very hot washes, ??? My gasket is quite beefy and fairly stiff, although you can bend it with your hand.

I would ask for a new one. For what you paid for those machines you deserve it.

• asolo
    13 years ago

FWIW...my own Duet boot maintains its original shape/surface/appearance after 5+ years. I do lots of "whitest whites" loads which are 127F +/- 5....according to whirlpool and confirmed by my own measurements. Less frequent "sanitary" at 150-something. Only a few of those.

Anyway, no argument, IMHO. You get a new boot on-site, I would think.

• fordtech
    13 years ago

Looking at the way it is designed at the top, it looks like it would have to be shaped somewhat like that going down and around. You really cant compare it with other designs on other manufacturers machines. We need some photos of other exact same machines. Ugly doesnt make it inefficient. I would like to know what purpose the two molded in components at the top serve. They appear to cause the whole thing to be less than symmetrical.

My Neptune has shrouds that cover over that part of the seal so you dont see it all and worry about how purty it looks.

• fordtech
    13 years ago

Actually looking at the Neptune it is just perfectly round and tucked under so you cant see any wrinkles where that Lux is folded outward to accomodate the molded areas at top causing you to see all of its wrinkles.

• Bethpen
    13 years ago

I'm having this set delivered today. I'm nervous now!

Beth P.

• fordtech
    13 years ago

Beth, be sure to take some pics and post them so we can compare. It is likely nothing to worry yourself over.