Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stbonner_gw

Do enzymes in detergents damage cotton?

stbonner
13 years ago

I know that enzymes can damage silk and wool, causing small holes and failure of the fabric. I started wondering about damage to cottons, since there have been numerous threads on this forum about small holes in cotton shirts, etc. Anyway, I googled around a little and found several articles on the subject. Apparently cellulase "eats" fabric pills, etc., but can also damage cotton if proportions are not correct. Here is one of the articles I found:

Interesting. I would love to hear your thoughts on this matter. I'm putting lots of effort into trying to keep my clothes looking new, and I'm wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot by using enzymes - although the other side of the coin is that stains will ruin garments too.

Here is a link that might be useful: enzymes

Comments (16)

• whirlpool_trainee
    13 years ago

Yes, there are enzymes that help to smoothen fibres. This is one of the claims of the actiLift formula - it makes fibers so smooth that stains can't attach as easily. Cellulase is one of the ingredients of Tide Total Care: it prevents, as you've said, pilling on certain fibres and "keeps them looking like new". It also removes dust and mud - according to tide.com.

I don't think regular detergent will cause holes in people's cotton clothes, though. That would be a major disaster for P&G. On the list of Tide Total Care's ingredients, cellulase is the second lowest. However, there are many detergents without cellulase - just in case...

Just my two cents, Alex

• suburbanmd
    13 years ago

If cellulase reduces pilling, it must have some small impact on cotton fabric structure. I would guess the detergent makers' standard is that a laundry product should be safely usable for the standard lifespan of a garment. That's what, 50 washings or so?

• livebetter
    13 years ago

There must be reason there are so many new detergents popping up that claim to keep things looking newer longer. I've read that enzymes and optical brighteners can be hard on fabric over time. Making things look worn and faded.

As well, "regular" detergents are very hard on things - they are designed to tackle the worst stains. What if your laundry is not that dirty?

For example - this from the Woolite Complete copy:

"You are probably familiar with common washing problems, such as your favorite dress or T-shirt fading, your blouse shrinking, or your favorite jeans thinning.

WOOLITEî COMPLETE⢠gives all your clothes the right balance of cleaning and caring. It doesn't contain harsh ingredients, so it wonâÂÂt cause stretching, shrinking or fading. With WOOLITEî COMPLETEâ¢, you can keep all your clothes looking like new!"

This formula does not contain enzymes or OBAs. It also contains a PH balancer.

Having said that - Tide Total care contains both.

Go figure ... although TTC does contain a proprietary Protective Fiber Complex that conditions your wash water to help prevent damage from chlorine and mineral deposits, minimizing fading and helping to keep colours bright.

I have also read that chlorine in your tap water can cause things to fade - makes sense.

• cynic
    13 years ago

Being in the sun or under certain lighting will cause your clothes to fade.

Do enzymes damage cottons? I've had no such experience. I have 20 year old clothes washed in a lot of enzymes, including boosters so if they damage the clothes, then they're some dang tough clothes!

• fordtech
    13 years ago

A lot of the imported clothing today has cheap crappy dyes in them.

• MnR824
    10 years ago

I was looking up this topic and am wondering if anyone has any additional information. I get small, random holes in my cotton clothing and cannot figure out what it could be. This is fairly common, but not common enough that it leads me to believe that it is the detergent. I do not have any bugs or moths in my laundry area. UGH!

• pkosmas_public
    7 years ago

Here's a link to more than you probably wanted to know! My reading says that cellulase will mostly only work on the surface of the fabric, but it does in fact degrade the cellulosic fibers in denim (and thus probably other cotton fabrics too). I was curious about adding enzymatic drain cleaner to non-enzymatic detergents!

http://www.indiantextilejournal.com/articles/FAdetails.asp?id=2683

Here's another link to make your own enzymes for DIY detergent! Interesting stuff! :)

http://www.reviewed.com/science/diy-make-your-own-enzymatic-laundry-detergent

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

I'm so glad to know this, as greeny's research shows the same. But, how did I miss this seven years ago?

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

Yes, Pat, exactly. Ditto for me. Fascinating to make laundry detergent from orange peels and yeast.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

What all are manufactures adding to their clothing..I think they can add a certain % of other fibers and still call it 100% cotton. And than there's the fabrics that say *blend* ...lets say you have a pair of jeans 100% cotton, but the **other** that's added without having to list it is rayon than there you have it. The cellulose will enjoy that small amount of rayon. You see this frequently in tee shirts..might say 85% cotton 15% rayon. The cellulose doesn't like rayon so that's that. This is why I think cellulose may leave holes. Same for Bamboo which is rayon.

I don't get why cellulose is needed to begin with. Yes its supposed to eat tiny pills, but frankly if something is 100% cotton and washed properly there shouldn't be pills.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

They can add 5% other fibers without disclosing IIRC.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

Plus, laundry detergent/soap manufacturers can change their formulas without notice. One had better always read labels and/or ingredient lists BEFORE purchasing each and every time. Or, hope that greeny is always here to help. And mama. And . . . . . . . . .

• littlegreeny
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Remember cotton is also primarily cellulose so the cellulase enzyme will break down cotton fibers as well.

I don't know why so many detergent manufacturers put this enzyme in their detergents when it just destroys your laundry. My grand conspiracy theory-detergent manufacturers are in bed with the apparel and textile manufacturers as well as the cotton growers...

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I would think they don't put enough cellulose in to damage cotton otherwise some manufactures would be having class actions against them.

• vmcook
    5 years ago

If you garment has bamboo in it the cellulase will damage it over time. It eats the bamboo.