Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help asap housefire.

Posted by beagle_nc (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 28, 13 at 5:12

My daughter's house sustained extensive smoke and water damage from neighbors house fire. How is the best way launder her and her husbands clothes to get the odor out? So blessed that they are okay.
Did searches on this forum as well as the cleaning forum but found nothing. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help asap housefire.

I'm glad everyone is alright.

I did a quick search on "how to remove fire smoke odor from clothes" and found this link to be rather comprehensive although it seems to involve a lot of profesional help (e.g. treat textile with ozone to remove smell). Otherwise, the usual suspects seem to be vinegar and/or baking soda to remove the smell. I'd wash them before to get the oily soot off.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: After the Fire is Out: Cleaning Household Textiles and Clothing

o

Alex, can not thank you enough for the link, it's a God send. was too tired to even think straight this am.

o

Wishing you and your family luck beagle.

o

This may be a little late but when we had a fish tank catch fire while on vacation and filled the house with smoke (when the tank busted it put itself out), the insurance company hired a restoration company to take care of it. One of the things they did was send all our textiles (curtains, clothes, shoes, etc) out to a company who restored the stuff and got all the odors out.

You might want to check with the insurance company, possibly the neighbors or hers. It should be covered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here