what it was. I also was wondering if anyone has heard anything
good bad or indifferent about the machine. From what I have
read there have been some good reviews . Thank you all in
advance for your help.

Chance1

Comments (4)

• dudleyfuddpucker
    9 years ago

Actually the F-P lid lock is probably the easiest one of all to defeat permanently. It took me less than 10 minutes to figure out and do and required one screwdriver and one pair of heavy-duty wire cutters (to cut off a plastic tab). The machine still energizes the lock and its feedback tells it it that it is locked, but the lid is not actually latched and you can swing it open any time during the wash.

Having posted that I admit it was about 6 years ago that I did it and I cannot recall the exact configuration of the locking mechanism, so I cannot give specific instructions. I *think* I remember that the lock energizing moved a post and caused a pin to protrude and catch the latch, but I'd have to open my washer up again to look.

If someone does not post more detailed help I'll take a look at it this weekend. You could probably also figure it out yourself: unscrew the lid (2 screws) then unscrew the latching mechanism from bottom-front of lid (one or two screws) then start a cycle and watch what it does. This was the approach I used and it was a very basic setup.

• chance1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Dudley...for responding. However, if I should do
    anything like cutting tab etc; would that not void your warranty
    on the unit? Also, whirlpool trainee linked a video of a credit
    card that was cut-out worked. However, my ? is how do you
    cut-out the middle of a credit card. Also, Dudley the
    model # of the washer in question is # WL1068PW1. Have you heard anything about the machine, good, or bad. I hope it will not tear-up my cloths and that it will clean them well! All of my previous washers I have had have caused me a great deal of up-set and headaches!!!!!!!
    Thank you Dudley for any input on this. As you can see no
    one has really commented on this except whirlpool trainee.
    I had accidentally created a double post and he did respond
    to that other post.

Chance1

• dudleyfuddpucker
    9 years ago

Well, the part that I cut was not visible to anyone, and was only a plastic nub about 1/4" long. No one would ever be able to tell - except that the lid would open easily during a wash cycle. :)

Having said that, I apologize for one oversight on my part: the model number you mention is the newer FP washer, which I am not familiar with. I have had an IWL16 for about 8 years and love it, but mine is the older style with non see-through lid (my primary reason for defeating the switch) and a post agitator.

I can still post how I did mine, but I cannot guarantee that FP didn't totally change the lock or latch mechanism in the newer washer. I am very familiar with their old models but have never even seen the one you have in person.

• chance1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Once again Dudley I thank you for your input. I would like to tell you that my FP washer has a dark glass top. However, you cannot see into the tub!! Maybe someone on this forum may have the same or something like mine and could tell me about the machine in general and defeating the lid lock. However, I have had a great deal of washers going back to 1993 and I have had nothing but PROBLEMS and they ended-up going back to the store I bought it from!!! So maybe it might be even better for me not to be able to see whats going on inside. Some times what you don't see or
    know is better! LOL

Chance1