Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

Miele Little Giant questions

lalithar
11 years ago

Hi,

I have some questions about Miele Little Giant washers.. I know these are commercial models... Where do you buy them? In regular appliance stores that sell Miele or are there commercial appliance stores that sell these to a business clientele. What temperature does the water go up to? Does it do a boil wash for whites like the old 220v Miele? What is the electricity requirement?

Comments (14)

• akrogirl
    11 years ago

The Little Giants can be bought through most regular Miele dealers, though they will probably be special order - it took about a week to get ours. One of our bigger local dealers even used to have one of the larger, 3 phase models on the floor.

The washer requires a 208/240V, 60HZ, 30A, 2 phase electrical connection. According to the current Miele installation instructions, it now comes with a NEMA L6-30 plug, though ours had no plug and was hard wired.

The machine can be set to go up to 95C for the cotton hygiene wash (standard on ours is 90C).

• suburbanmd
    11 years ago

akrogirl, have you washed any comforters or quilts in your Little Giant? If so, what size and thickness? Thanks.

• akrogirl
    11 years ago

Sorry, suburbanmd, but I live in the Phoenix area and the most we use in our house is a bedspread, with the occasional duvet plus cover. I will look to see if we have an old comforter somewhere that I can throw in.

I can say that I can fit in at least three saddle pads, whereas I had a struggle with one in my old Asko.

• mrb627
    11 years ago

Please review the electrical requirements of the Little Giant machines with care. One of them will require a transformer be installed to adjust to its 208vac spec.

MRB

• lalithar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have asked our local Miele dealer for pricing and details. I am only looking for the washer.

Mrb627- do you know what requires the transformer? Is it the washer or the dryer?

• gfrnd
    11 years ago

I can chime in, I just had a pair installed a few weeks ago. The transformer is needed only for the dryer which needs nominal 208V; our voltage was 236. Got one for around $100 and electrician took care of no problem. The washer has the typical voltage range so a US 30amp circuit is all you need. Ours had plugs, so we had to change the outlets to the spec Miele defined.

BTW, the machines are amazing. I washed a fairly thick queen down comforter, no problem.

• wildstar7
    10 years ago

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am getting the Little Giant dryer installed soon and I am having a lot of trouble finding what I need to install in order to change our voltage to 208v. We are replacing a Samsung dryer that was 240v. Can someone link me to what we need? The one electrician I called said it would be over $600 for the transformer alone...

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I would suggest you call Miele directly. They are very very helpful and can help you get the answers you need. They are usually willing to email you something to show your electrician as well.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I would suggest you call Miele directly. They are very very helpful and can help you get the answers you need. They are usually willing to email you something to show your electrician as well.

• wildstar7
    10 years ago

Unfortunately I called Miele and they were not helpful at all. I'm hoping someone here who has had these installed can tell me what transformer they bought or installed. It sounds like people on this forum have purchased their own transformer and had it installed by an electrician.

• mrb627
    10 years ago

When I researched purchasing the Little Giant set, I did extensive research on the electrical requirements. I do remember locating a supplier for a proper buck/boost transformer, but I have since tossed that information. I'll see if I can re-locate something to point you in the right direction.

MRB

• fahrenheit_451
    10 years ago

You should post at the GardenWeb Electrical Wiring Forum.

The Miele manual for model number PT7136 states the following (you should double-check the manual you received with your Miele to make sure they are the same requirements): The dryer comes with a power cord and
    NEMA L6-30 plug.
    The machines is supplied for a
    connection to a 2 AC 208V 60Hz
    2x30A, Single Phase Supply.
    For extra safety it is advisable to install
    a residual current device (RCD) with a
    trip current of 30 mA.
    The machine must only be connected
    to the voltage and frequency shown on
    the data plate.

• wildstar7
    10 years ago

Thanks MRB, I'd appreciate it.

I have the manual and know what the dryer needs, I just don't know what needs to be installed to take what I have down to what the dryer needs Fahrenheit. And unfortunately Miele will not recommend something other than "call your electrician." I've done that and non of them are exactly sure what needs to be installed...

I appreciate your info though!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler