Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weareborgswife

Best washer in the $500 range?

weareborgswife
12 years ago

My washer is dead. I need a new one soon... if you only had $500 what would you get?

Laundry is on the 2nd floor, old washer was GE front loader 5.5 years old placed on a stall mat.

Please help?

Comments (6)

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

If I had only $500 to spend on a new washer, I'd be looking at Black Friday and clearance/inventory sales from now throughout the Christmas holidays. This is a great time of year to get a fantastic bargain -- maybe the best time of year.

• lee676
    12 years ago

Kenmore 40272 half price today (fri) at Sears until 1pm - $469.99. Has an internal water heater, rare at that price. Not sure who manufactures it (LG?) since I'm just looking at the ad, not in the store

• lee676
    12 years ago

Just saw one when I went to Sears Appliance to fetch a less-than-1/2 price big box of laundry detergent (now we're set for the next year). It's definitely made by LG, has fast 1100 or 1200rpm spin for good water extraction, anti-vibration mechanism, and as the advert notes, a popular consumer testing organization has found it to wash well, be gentle on clothes, have excellent real-world capacity, easy to understand controls, and is efficient. Only quietness gets a merely good rating. Looks like a great buy IMO.

Looks like that price holds through 1pm today in stores or 3pm central time if ordered online.

• lunasdude
    12 years ago

Be careful with the Kenmore 40272, check Sears own site and check youtube for reviews.
    The price is great but there seems to be some very consistent problems.

• MarkinAZ
    12 years ago

Personally, I'd get on Craigs list in LA/NYC/Boston/ etc. (Major metro areas near you) and see if you could find a 2 to 4 year old Miele which you probably can for that price or less! I saw a Washer and Dryer (Miele) here in Phoenix on CL about a week ago and it was 500 for the pair. Retail cost on these would have been well over 3000.00!! Even if you call Miele service and have a thorough refurb done, you won't spend more than $400 on them. Try to get units that are running and check to make sure the stainless drum is not damaged. Beyond that, they're about bullet proof. Remember they're engineered to do three loads per day for 20 years. And many go longer than that! I've got a 9 year old pair that I SWEAR TO YOU are better than the newest Miele's I bought for my daughter. I don't like the "American-ized Versions" but prefer the real 220v Miele washer that will heat water up to 210 degrees for a long cycle/boiled wash. That's how we always had our linens done when I was a kid and it gets out almost anything without bleach or other chemicals. Just soap and hot water and time! (Works wonders on nearly any stain you can find! And whites look AMAZING and towels wear forever if you don't use bleaches, etc., on them. Can you tell I'm a Miele fan?

• MarkinAZ
    12 years ago

Personally, I'd get on Craigs list in LA/NYC/Boston/ etc. (Major metro areas near you) and see if you could find a 2 to 4 year old Miele which you probably can for that price or less! I saw a Washer and Dryer (Miele) here in Phoenix on CL about a week ago and it was 500 for the pair. Retail cost on these would have been well over 3000.00!! Even if you call Miele service and have a thorough refurb done, you won't spend more than $400 on them. Try to get units that are running and check to make sure the stainless drum is not damaged. Beyond that, they're about bullet proof. Remember they're engineered to do three loads per day for 20 years. And many go longer than that! I've got a 9 year old pair that I SWEAR TO YOU are better than the newest Miele's I bought for my daughter. I don't like the "American-ized Versions" but prefer the real 220v Miele washer that will heat water up to 210 degrees for a long cycle/boiled wash. That's how we always had our linens done when I was a kid and it gets out almost anything without bleach or other chemicals. Just soap and hot water and time! (Works wonders on nearly any stain you can find! And whites look AMAZING and towels wear forever if you don't use bleaches, etc., on them. Can you tell I'm a Miele fan?