Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathyc618

Liquid vs. powder and fabric softener vs. fabric sheet?

kathyc618
11 years ago

I'm so confused. I will be getting a Electrolux iq 60 washing machine and the matching drier in a few days. I am replacing a top loader HE machine. I have been using Kirkland liquid HE soap and the Kirkland HE fabric softener. I am willing to switch brands of soap and softener. I also use Oxiclean sometimes. I have been reading up what to use in my machine and I'm soooooo confused. I did read that someone suggested putting the Oxiclean in the machine before I put the laundry in. Any ideas?

Comments (8)

• mara_2008
    11 years ago

I've heard good things about the Kirkland brand, though I've never been a Costco member. Does Kirkland make an HE powder detergent? If so, I would use it when washing laundry in warm or hot temps (liquid seems to work better in cold water).

I do use OxiClean. I use it when I wash white laundry in warm or hot water. I have not found it to be effective in cold water.

I buy regular fabric softener; I really like Snuggle. When I fill up the f/s dispenser, I fill it half full with white vinegar first.

Whenever I use powder detergent (I really like Tide w/bleach HE, now called Tide Vivid), and when I use OxiClean, I put them directly in the washer drum with the laundry.

• georgect
    11 years ago

Dryer sheets gunk up the insides of the dryer (parts you can't see) and the lint screen it self. Stay with a liquid softener.

Use any HE detergent you like, liquid or powder or better yet switch brands and between liquid and powder.

OxiClean does work better the warmer/hotter the water is.
    And you can add it to the drum, then add clothes then start machine as you normally would.

• mara_2008
    11 years ago

Correction: I've been using Suavitel f/s, not Snuggle. Suavitel is even less expensive, I use coupons, and I love the scent.

My washer has its own OxiClean dispenser. Even so, I usually put it in the washer drum.

• mara_2008
    11 years ago

To clarify: My washer (Maytag Bravos) has an OxiClean dispenser that's separate from the other dispensers for detergent and f/s and liquid bleach (which I mostly use only for cleaning the washer).

• itgeek
    11 years ago

Kathy,

You can officially keep using what you were already using. No changes needed if the Kirkland products were cleaning fine in your previous TL.

The Kirkland detergents don't have the same quantity of enzymes, etc as something like Tide but they are generally clean rinsing and fine for average dirt laundry.

As for OxiClean, as stated before, if you're using liquid detergent, put the OxiClean in the drum to avoid a clump in the dispenser. If you're using all powder in the dispenser, doesn't matter.

I'm a mixologist when it comes to laundry detergent. :D But I have the Kirkland products on my shelf. I also have the Kirkland powder. :D I use them all in my Maytag FL (w/ Sanitary cycle).

• HU-319667172
    3 years ago

I have found that using liquid softeners like soflan spoils washing machines. A thick sticky greasy plastic residue collects in different parts of the washing machine internally when I use Softlan luquid softener and I've lost one washing machine from using this softener.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

I use softener sheets but only on synthetic loads to control static. Having read that the sheets can clog up dryer internals, I checked mine. Lint screen was clean w/ no evidence of clogging. Scrubbed it anyway. Maybe because I don't use the sheets with every load, use only one sheet per load when I do & maybe because I usually buy cheapo' store brand dryer sheets? I dunno but it hasn't been a problem for me. And, yes, I have had the dryer apart and didn't find any evidence of residue.

I know that some people think if one dryer sheet is good then 2 or 3 per load must be better so maybe that is the cause of the problem?