Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kris680

Do pedestals add vibration? Love/hate pedestals?

kris680
13 years ago

I'm in the market for a new washer & dryer and am now thinking of going w/the Electrolux IQ. Our laundry is on the second floor and I'm wondering whether pedestals might add a little vibration. I'm assuming the best set up to ensure the least vibration is if your unit sits on the floor? But, then again, maybe it doesn't make a difference?

I think I'd prefer to have the pedestals for the added height (ease of use), BUT I'm not sure if I want to pay the added $$$.

What's your experience w/pedestals (and would especially love to hear from any Electrolux IQ users).

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• asolo
    13 years ago

Pedestals do not "add" vibration. However, they certainly can amplify it if it exists. May require more careful attention to equalization of foot-loading of the machine than you're accustomed to. And installers are notoriously deficient in doing this because it takes more time than they're willing to spend. It's not all that difficult, but I doubt your installer will be willing to do it.

Concrete floor install-sites are always best but MANY folks have suspended-floor installations that work fine. Suspended floor plus pedestal would have the highest likelihood of giving trouble.

Do you have vibration issues with current set-up?

These situations are very difficult to predict in advance. Too many variables. You may be fine or you may have issues. If you have issues you may find them easy to resolve or you may find them impossible to resolve. I encourage you to describe your concerns to the vendor before purchase and have an agreement that will allow you to exchange your chosen machine for another if you encounter an unresolvable situation.

Not intending to obfuscate. In your situation, I would go ahead and do what you intend with the expectation that things will be OK or can be made OK. If it doesn't work, I'd shift gears and do something else.

• llcp93
    13 years ago

My answer is only sorta related to your question as I can only address the pedestal issue and not the brand (I have whirlpool). When we bought our W & D, we also bought a fridge. We did not go the pedestal route, though I wish I had. We just could not bring ourselves to spend more money on what did not seem necessary. I do wish I had them.
    The reason I don't is we were going to splurge on them bout a year ago. I measured the allowed room, and with the upper cabinets, I had about 8 inches. My LR is small and I use the top of the W&D a lot. With 8 inch clearance, the tops are unusable and if you have ever dropped stuff behind the machine, I don't I could ever retrieve it with pedestals. I wish it would have worked for me.

• dualref
    13 years ago

And some people who didn't want to pay the outrageous prices for those pedestals made their own. It can be done quite easily, but you have to use some sizable lumber to make a very sturdy frame. I recommend using screws instead of nails to hold one together if you are going to go that route.

• lfielder54
    13 years ago

Check out this discussion from the Building a Home forum. There are some nice pics of a beautiful cabinet pedestal (as opposed to the ones the manufacturers make.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Washer/Dryer Platform

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH