Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katie_42

Fisher Paykel wa37t26g- no hot water and dripping

Katie.42
9 years ago

I am looking for help with my washing machine model wa37t26g eco smart. There are several problems that may be connected.

Backstory. My machine was stopping and beeping with lights flashing for a few weeks, but I was just advancing the cycle or restarting because I needed clean clothes and didn't have much time to worry about it. Usually with a little fussing I could get my wash done though it was a headache. In the last few months I have not gotten any beeping or errors like this. I know I probably should have paid more attention but I had a newborn and just needed diapers washed!

My machine then started dripping from the shower sprayer, it would drip at the end of the cycle and if the clothes were not taken out as soon as the cycle was over, they would get wet, to the point of dripping. I would need to re-spin before hanging to dry. If I did take the clothes out, the drips would accumulate in a puddle in the machine. Usually just a puddle, once it was filled nearly an inch. Sometimes it worked perfectly fine.

Also, very recently I have not been getting hot water for my hot water wash cycle. I wash diapers and I need hot hot water, I noticed my diapers were not getting as clean as they should. When I pause the washer the water is cold despite setting the wash temp to hot. I unplugged and re-plugged the machine, this seemed to reset it and I was getting steamy hot wash water...for a couple days. Now its back to cold and the unplug trick is not working (though sometimes it does!)

poking around on this site and other sites I think maybe the hot water valve is malfunctioning. I see this as the cause of both of these problems on other threads.

Here is what I have done so far:
I ran diagnostic mode and no lights show any error. I do not get beeping anymore, I have read that the error code may have been erased.
I have checked the water in, it is hot and cold as it should be (have not taken the exact temp yet).
I have checked the water in hose, there was some sediment but not too much, cleaned it out at the tap as well as where it goes into the back of the machine.
I have turned each tap off and notice the dripping only when the hot tap is on.
I saw a previous thread http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/laundry/msg0518204618345.html?29 that seems to match my problem, but for a different model. I was hoping to get help for my model. It seems my hot and cold water valve are one piece, and I would have to replace the whole thing. The part has a label of 421029e2fp. I see pictures of model 421029p online that look just the same.

ok, sorry so long, I wanted to give as much information as I understand it. Thank you so much for your help

Comments (5)

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

If I had to try to fix this machine without playing with it first I'd bring along a new water solenoid valve and wouldn't bother to bring along any other parts at all. Ten minute fix. Sixty dollars is a lot for a twelve dollar valve, though.

Also, water solenoids are interchangeable to an amazing degree.

• Katie.42
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you so much for your help.
    Does this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIqukxSZvsI match what you are telling me? I can replace just the solenoid as shown in the video? Can you give me some tips, how I would know the solenoid would be interchangeable (this video mentions matching the ohms) is that the only thing to match up? Also, do I need to remove the valve (as shown in the video) before removing the solenoid, or could I do it still attached to the machine?

• dadoes
    9 years ago

1) Water dripping from the fill flume when the machine is not running (or unplugged from power) that stops if the water supply faucet is turned off is a problem with the respective (hot or cold) inlet valve *mechanism*, not the solenoid (which is electric so it's out-of-the-picture as a cause of the dripping if it still drips when the power cord is disconnected but the faucet is not turned off). The valve assembly must be replaced.

2) Perhaps you are not aware that hot water runs only for an initial pretreatment phase of the cycle. The machine fills with only enough water to saturate the clothes dripping-wet, dissolve the detergent, and allow for a recirculation shower that runs for about 5 mins. The fill for the agitated wash that follows is cold water. This is the ECO part of the machine's design. There is a way to get a full-fill hot wash by programming the Favorite button in a particular way. If you haven't done that programming, then pausing the wash agitation to check the water temp in the tub and finding it cool or cold is *norrmal* and *correct* operation. I can tell you how to program the hot-fill cycle if you don't know, although the procedure is in your user instruction manual in the section about cleaning the machine's interior.

3) The hot & cold valve assembly for this model is a one-piece part. Hot and cold cannot be replaced separately. The fellow pulling the solenoid off the valve in the video you cite is not a proper repair. The solenoid is not intended to be removed and replaced as he says. Cold_Weather's suggestion above that typical water valve solenoids from various sources would substitute does not apply to this machine. The solenoids run on 24v DC power, not 120v AC, and must have a specific electrical resistance rating.

• Katie.42
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your help. I do not get hot water at the beginning, but I used to. I will try to replace the entire valve and let you know if it fixes.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

"Water dripping... is a problem with the respective (hot or cold) inlet valve *mechanism*, not the solenoid (which is electric so it's out-of-the-picture as a cause of the dripping if it still drips when the power cord is disconnected but the faucet is not turned off)."

This is not true.