Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
i.e.c. capacity

Posted by andy_m (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 12, 10 at 22:49

Hi All,
I'm researching purchase of a front loading washer and notice that at least some of the FL manufacturers cite the I.E.C. equivalent capacity. I understand what that's about, and it makes some sense when looking at FL drum capacity v. TL capacity.

My question is, do ALL the FL manufacturers use the I.E.C. method? Some don't seem to mention it, others like Whirlpool state "I.E.C." front and center. If there are two measurement systems in use out there, it becomes meaningless to try to compare since we don't know which maker uses which method. Seems to me like it's more important to be able to compare FL to FL rather than FL to TL machines. I'm sure some of you who are most familiar with the methods can comment on this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i.e.c. capacity

I think "all" mfg use the IEC as it is international whereas the DOE is the USA version.

When I looked into washing machines around 6 yrs ago, I read on the forums that the DOE rating is just a pretend an agitator is in the FL to get the equivalent TL agitator capacity; now I read that the IEC is a rating where it uses an equivalent theoretical TL agitator to get the same capacity & not an actual number.

No idea which is more accurate. However, if the European mfg have been doing FL, then the IEC should be more real as the TL is supposed to be rare.

Have never seen any IEC & DOE ratings on an agitator TL which may help understand the different ratings.

o

Most manufacturers use the "if this front loader were a top loader with agitator, the capacity would be" standard. For example, the 5.1 cu.ft. Electrolux is really only a 4.42 cu.ft. machine. http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=clotheswash.search_clotheswashers has a list of all washing machines and their true drum volume.

Alex

o

The "problem" with the energystar table is that it excludes the inefficient TL; e.g. Whirlpool stacked 1.5 or 2.5 cf for apartments. Is the 1.5 or 2.5 DOE vol or some other rating?
They are only the models that will fit some closets like my old apartment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here