Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
affresh needed for HE Top Loader

Posted by golferdude (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 26, 10 at 22:37

I just got a new HE Top Load washing machine and it came with a sample "affresh" tablet. I know the FL's seem to have a problem with odor's but I haven't seen much of anything on odor smell on TL's. Just curious if HE TL's really need the affresh tablets?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: affresh needed for HE Top Loader

Improper use of ANY washing machine will can cause built-up of mold. There have been several threads about mold in top loaders as well.

The key is to use the machine correctly and, in your case, do not use that EcoBoost option on your Whirlpool too often. The reason why Affresh was supplied with your machine is because Whirlpool makes Affresh. Giving away samples is an easy way to sell your products. As for cleaning your washer: if you want to do this, I'd say use Smelly Washer. It seems to get better reviews that Affresh and will also work in your TL - despite the Clean Washer with Affresh cycle... ;-)

Alex

o

Thanks. Does having a water softener help reduce the formation of the odor or does it help in having an odor?

o

If you have soft water, you can use less detergent, as hard water "eats up" detergent - so to speak. On the downside, soft water rinses worse so you might need to use Extra Rinse for some items like towels or underwear.

I don't see any obvious connection between hard water and odor - provided the detergent is dosed properly. One benefit is certainly that nozzles and the screen in the water inlet hoses won't clog up with lime scale.

Alex

o

I keep seeing where people say use he powder detergent if you can as this will help minimize the build up of gunk, thus not requiring the affresh type stuff. Any truth to that. I am getting ready to use my washer for the first time and would like to start out on the right foot.

o

Liquid detergents often do not contain any type of bleach, which can help to clean the washer and keep bacteria growth to a minimum. I'd advise you to use some sort of bleach for your whites along with hot water (Bright Whites cycle). This can be a detergent like Tide with Bleach powder, Sears with Oxy etc. - or you can add a separate oxy powder to your wash load. Chlorine bleach works at all water temps - but it's harsher than oxy.

Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here