Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferhyatt

Need help choosing a dryer. Frozen into inaction.

JenniferHyatt
12 years ago

Oh, please won't someone help me? I have needed a dryer for a month now and I am frozen into inaction. I have tried researching everything I can about dryers and I never seem to find one that someone doesn't hate. As soon as I am sure I have decided which one to go with, I read horror stories and start the search all over. At first I thought I had to have steam and now I think I am being a chump about it. I already have a washing machine that still works and I could care less if the two machines look alike.

Here is what I need:

I need a gas dryer that has a lot of settings. I need one that is very hot when I need it to be for towels, but one that I can put on a much lower setting for delicates. I don't need the dryer to try to figure out what I want it to do, I am happy to be an active participant in doing the laundry. But, I do need plenty of options. I also don't need the machine to remember my preferences, for now my memory still works.

I was looking into steam, but it seems like a frightful waste of money. I can continue putting in a damp washcloth like I have been doing for 40 years. Unless someone tells me that a steam dryer is a miracle. I don't expect to use that feature very often and I can't stand the thought that some dryers rust due to the steam. I have no children and I don't work anymore...so no fancy work clothes. I wash clothes for only my husband and I.

Call me old fashioned, but I want a dryer that is dependable. I know that a lot of government regulations have made washing machines close to useless these days, are they doing the same thing to dryers? I could care less if it is "energy efficient". My time is worth a lot to me, and I want a dryer that doesn't take over an hour to do a load of towels. I hate laundry and usually do it all once every 3 weeks or so. That process can take me 4 hours or 8 depending on the machine. I need a dryer that will keep up with my washing machine as best it can.

So, in short, I want a dryer that is fast, reliable, and has plenty of settings so I don't shrink everything that touches it, but isn't so dainty it takes forever to dry the tough stuff. Is it possible to get a machine that does all three or do I have to pick two of the above?

Please help me. My poor head is so confused right now.

Comments (94)

• livebetter
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"Basically it appears to me your FL experience is like my Maytag Neptune experience, both are anomalies and not the norm."

You accuse others of having a "thick skull" because they don't agree with your logic (which is flawed IMO).

If my FL experience is an anomaly ... then ALL of Europe must be an anomaly too. They've been using front loaders forever. Much longer than anyone in North America. Perhaps you should educate them - perhaps no one has told them about all the problems with front loaders.

"and the majority of them differ greatly from yours"

HOGWASH

There are tons of great reviews for front loaders out there. You have decided that the negative ones you've read make up the majority of owners (ludicrous).

Arguing with you is also ludicrous but I can't seem to help myself.

You're not the only one who did some research. I researched my purchase for close to a year.

I have owned two different front load machines - how many have you owned?? Oh that's right ... none.

Plenty of others on this forum own front loaders and love them. Perhaps they are all anomalies too.

You make strong statements based on what YOU perceive as reality. It doesn't make it so.

I'm sure your new machine will be fine for you but don't profess to tell everyone reading this thread things that are not true. I take offence to people who do that.

It's your opinion it's NOT fact. Let's just be clear about that.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

Dadoes, and yet like I said ours works great without a single problem for 7 years go figure.
    In fact I was a bit miffed at my wife wanting a new washer because this one worked so well and ANY appliance is a crap shoot. but she was dead set on getting a "set" so we have 2 new machines and both the same.
    I guess she was right, even though ours has worked perfect, cleaned great for 7 years, from the reviews I have seen it almost seems impossible.

live better,
    good for you and FL, done with wasting my fingers on your nonsense.
    I trust the hundreds of reviews I have seen that state very clearly other wise, plain and simple.
    Never said "my opinion" is fact, just said that it is a fact that hundreds of others say over & over that they have mold/mildew problems with FL, also bearing problems and seal problems, it IS very prevalent which is a FACT.
    Your denial of that fact doesn't make it magically go away.

/ignore

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@Nunyabiz1, you are still trying to say that you are right based on your opinion of what you read.

Could you please put a value on "very prevalent"? I'm curious what percentage of owners have this problem. Yep ... I'm guessing you have no idea.

You have no idea how many people are very happy with theirs. You make it sound like I'm the only crazy happy FL owner (more ridiculousness).

You are ignoring all the good and only focusing on what you want to focus on.

Still doesn't make you smarter than everyone else. It makes you a stubborn old man who only wants to see what he wants to see. Period.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

I guess all the thousands of people in a class action law suit suing many manufactures over the design flaw of FRONT LOADER washing machines are all simply delusional also?

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/defective-products/case/126/whirlpool-front-loading-washers

http://www.gslawny.com/files/consol_complaint_final.5-6-08.pdf

http://www.eppsteiner.com/california-lawsuits-investigations/front-load-washer-mold-investigation.html

Doesn't matter at all what front Load washer either, even the so called top O the line super expensive Miele at over $2000 has the same problem.

http://www.seegerweiss.com/product-liability-actions/miele-front-load-washers/

Maytag actually recalled thousands of machines because of it. Yet to you this is all "Hogwash"?

It has been in the news, on MSNBC and numerous local stations all over the country for over a decade, all stating the same problem, yet they are all wrong and it is all hogwash.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/17965894/detail.html

Appliance repair site telling about how common and the reason why front loaders have Bearing Failure problems.
    They are lying of course.

http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/74149-front-load-washer-bearing.html

I mean really just how many washing machines for how many years have to be provably a poor design that produces mold and mildew, plus bearing failure and seal leaks have to happen before a class action lawsuit gets started?
    My guess is a bit more than a few.

These are just a tiny fraction of the problems I have seen while researching these machines, most people that have a problem are the same 3 problems "mostly" mold and mildew is number one by a long shot, then the other two are about equal.
    Way more than enough to make me not want to to take the chance on a front loader.

Top loaders have their problems also, but not even close to as many and not nearly as prevalent.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

"done with wasting my fingers on your nonsense" ...

Sadly, I hoped you meant it.

After I picked myself up off the floor (from laughing at your "law" websites). I mean seriously??? You've heard of ambulance chasers right? Scumbag lawyers will find any reason to start a law suit.

Especially Americans (no offence to my neighbors to the South). I mean, we get some American channels here and every second commercial is for a law firm wanting to sue someone on your behalf ("Have you or someone you know been hurt in an automobile accident? Call Soleno and Barnes. Did you take drug X while pregnant and your baby was born with birth defects? Call Frank and Frank.")

You'll have to do better than some ambulance chasers.

As for the other two ... the end of your WSOCTV news article tells consumers how to properly "maintain" their front load washer to avoid these problems. BINGO.

I didn't see anyone in that news clip ask these owners if they had done anything to properly care for their machine (leave the door open, run a hot wash at least once a month, dose detergent carefully). I'm not saying these problems can't happen but I don't believe most of them are machine issues but user issues. That news article lacked any real investigative journalism.

Any appliance needs some level of maintenance but because most top load owners never gave it a thought, they buy new front loaders and don't change their thinking.

My 65 year old mother got a new LG front loader (first FL in her life). I told her how to properly maintain it and she is not having any issues. In fact, she loves her new machines.

I mean to develop black mold in your detergent tray or gasket means you never left it open. It's never had air circulating. People just need to think ...

I will agree that some manufacturers did not do a good job of educating their customers how to care for their machine properly.

I have a friend who had a TOL LG FL. Her laundry room started to smell like a swamp. She did everything and the problem didn't go away. I went over and opened up the filter - disgusting - there was a tiny baby sock, a hair srunchy and some other debris in there stinking to high heaven. She said, "I didn't know I have to check the filter??" There you go ... nothing wrong with her machine ... she didn't read the manual.

What I'm trying (in vain) to make you understand is many of these so called problems are user issues. I'm sure there were some machines (particularly NA made) that had design flaws but you making a blanket statement about the whole category based on your evidence here is wrong.

You're clearly allowed to have your opinion but you are basically saying you're right and anyone who disagrees with you is wrong and must not know how to read.

I suggest to you that there may be more than one side to this argument.

You did your research and you made your decision accordingly but I certainly don't want others who read this thread to think you have all the answers because you don't.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

No I am basically saying that I have to go by the tons of reviews that I see that say they have mold,seal and bearing problems, when I look at washers and Fl after FL has anywhere from 20-50% of their reviews stating at least one of these problems then for some odd reason I feel I should take that seriously that is all.

I do not see that same level of problems with top loaders.
    Certain models of top loaders have their own problems but it seems to be just THAT model of THAT brand type thing not across the board problems with top loaders in general.

I had all the answers I needed just for ME personally to make my decision no more no less.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

You taking those reviews at face value without "deeper" thought does not make you a good researcher.

research/ˈrˌsərCH/

Noun:

The systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions.
    Anyone can Google something but really researching it is understanding the issues completely. What you present here are not "facts" just opinion (an opinion skewed by reviews that may or may not have merit).

What you are still ignoring and failing to acknowledge is many of those "so called" reviews are not machine problems at all but user error.

If you want to deduce that all those people took good care of their machines and still had problems so FL machines must be faulty by their very nature, well, that's your prerogative.

You can find post after post that describes front loaders as being the best at cleaning. You don't find it the least bit interesting that all of Europe (and other parts of the world) have been using FL technology for ever without issue?

Or do you think all those Germans just live with stinky, leaking machines that fail prematurely.

There's a world beyond the USA and information beyond what Google will turn up.

The reason I take issue with your posts is your wording is VERY strong for someone with no real substance. Comments like, "Why would anyone spend at least $500+ more for a pair ...". Here's a thought - maybe they're better machines.

After watching the attached video and the additional 3 parts, we should all assume HE TL machines have issues too.

Here is a link that might be useful: LG Washer Gone Bad during Spin Cycle pt1/4

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

So hundreds of reviewers are simply idiots to the point that sites like this are actually just a complete waste of time.

Gotcha.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I'm not sure which posters on this site you are referring to (as usual you're making big claims with no real evidence). Most of the regular posters with FL machines love them. Linked just one of many threads regarding this debate on GW.

FWIW, this site is a group of like minded individuals discussing a common interest. Most posters are not rude enough to shove their beliefs down everyone's throat and insinuate if they're not in agreement than they must be dumb (or not know how to read). And usually not rude enough to completely hijack someone else's thread (as has happened here - apologies to the OP).

I would also love to see which sites you found where 20 - 50% of the reviews are negative (all referring to your infamous 3 FL flaws).

I sure hope they are more reliable than your class action law suits, pathetic journalistic attempt and random repair guy.

I also assume the hundreds of positive reviews are crazy people who don't know they are an anomaly of front load washing. You should tell them - you obviously have insight they do not.

Why do your supposed negative reviews carry more weight than all the positive ones? Who made you God of that? Clearly, you've made up your mind (right or wrong) and won't hear of anyone who actually disagrees and likes their machine. To you, they are dumb (that's how your writing comes across).

"So hundreds of reviewers are simply idiots ..."

Well, if the shoe fits. You make me keep repeating myself (I'm wondering who's got the thick skull).

I'm not saying everyone and I'm not saying they're idiots. No one told them perhaps, perhaps they didn't read their manual, maybe they never gave it any thought - no matter how it happened - they didn't maintain the machine properly (wow, how many times have I typed that .. sheesh). It�s not what you want to hear so you keep ignoring it.

I'm not an anomaly, I just know how to take care of my machine (again I've owned 2, every friend I have owns FL machines, several family members own them, everyone who takes care of them has no issues). Maybe I should call the Guinness Book of World Records - so many happy FL users all in one place.

I'm not sure why it's so important for you to win this disagreement. Someone rationale might just say let's agree to disagree but you're clearly to stubborn for that.

The bottom line is, you haven't proven your theory. If you'd like to post some real concrete information than I'd be willing to read it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Front load vs top load washer

• JenniferHyatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I sure didn't mean to start an argument. For what it is worth, I too have heard horrible things about front loading washing machines. I am not a "maintenance" kind of girl and I have cats. I would never leave a door open on any appliance because my kitties can and do climb in things and then can get trapped. I don't want to wipe out my washing machine after each use, and I sure don't want to run an empty load to wash the machine itself. For all these reasons, a front loader is not for me. Additionally, the guy at the store said you are a fool to buy a front loader if you don't do laundry very often because they will get moldy if you let them sit for weeks.

I think that FL vs TL has to do more with how a person uses the appliance than the appliance itself.

Regarding comments on prices coming down, prices are supposed to come down on things over time unless the currency is being manipulated like our federal reserve does to our currency. The fed creates money out of thin air for the government to spend on things it doesn't have the money for, this inflates the money supply. When the money supply is inflated each dollar is worth less than before and thus you experience price inflation.

Electronics typically drop in price over the years because technology improves and becomes more efficient and also because people do want to spend less and manufacturers use lower quality products. (Without monetary inflation those prices would drop a whole lot more).

For those that don't know, the government has regulations out that have interfered with how well products work. In some washers, according to regulations they can't have really hot water coming in to the machine out of the tap, so they use tepid water to wash clothes, but if you really want that hot water, the washer will heat up the warm water for you. Silly and inefficient, but that is what happens when bureaucrats build a machine rather than an engineer.

Sure people want good products for less money. There is nothing wrong with a person who does. That doesn't mean they should be ripped off. Spending the most on a product doesn't guarantee you will get a great product either. Miele makes great electric dryers, but you can spend a fortune on their gas dryer and get something that has nothing but complaints.

I put a lot more stock in a sampling of hundreds of consumer's experiences than I do in the personal experience of one person. Being an "internet junkie" is a compliment in my book. The internet is a marvelous place where you have access to information we always dreamed we would have. Anyone who conducts lots of internet research will be better informed than the person who asked two friends what products they like.

BACK TO THE DRYER ISSUE:

I called Whirlpool and asked them about their Cabrio dryers and got some really confusing information. They said that they are trying to stay ahead of government regulations so they are coming up with more efficient dryers. From what they said, they are coming up with more complicated dryers that have a ton more parts that might break. They have added moisture sensors in the dryer drum along with the other ones they had in the outtake. They have added thermostats in the dryer drum too(they called them thermasters). They said they used these thermostats to drop the temperature of the dryer as it goes so it will use less energy. I asked if that "feature" wouldn't also extend drying time as lower temps have to dry slower, but they seemed baffled by my question. Most importantly however, the customer service reps were rude and stupid. Makes me question the company.

Nunyabiz, congrats on your purchase. I would love to know if you like your dryer, or if you think it works just like all other dryers. How large is yours and does it feel large to you? Apparently, I misread the size on the Cabrio and it is only 7.4 not 7.6. sigh. Now I am not as sold as I was. My main reason for going that expensive was the additional size over the 7.0 I used to have. Now, I wonder if 7.4 is that much bigger.

Thanks for the info on the LG and Samsungs. You sure sound like you researched as much as I have. I hope you have nothing but worry free years of great laundering. I will take a closer look at those brands.

I know I am being duped by my own anecdotal evidence, but I just moved into a ten year old house that has 3 Maytag appliances and all of them are complete junk. I have a dishwasher where the racks are all rusted. I have never seen rust on a dishwasher rack before. I have a Maytag oven that whines when in use, the door won't close and the light doesn't light. I have a Maytag gas stove top that I am sure is going to set me on fire one of these days. I have never seen such a burst of flame when turning on a burner. Not sure who makes those Maytags, but I am going to find out. One bad appliance is one thing, but 3 out of 3? I suppose those could be bottom of the line garbage too. I do know the original owner paid a lot for these "upgraded" appliances.

• asolo
    12 years ago

Is there some reason you re-posted the exact same thing as yesterday? Annoying.

"...the guy at the store said you are a fool to buy a front loader if you don't do laundry very often because they will get moldy if you let them sit for weeks."

PS....this sales person is an idiot. I'm past six years on mine. There have been many occasions when it's sat for many weeks. It's as clean today as the day it was delivered.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@asolo, you're an anomaly. Welcome to the club! ;)

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

Jennifer I would basically just ignore these two.

I am with you on the front loader situation except that I do not see it as a totally operator error issue.
    I have read far too many reviews of people that stated they did everything in the book, left door open, cleaned with bleach etc and still had mold issues.
    And that still doesn't address the bearing failures and seal leaks which seem rather prevalent regardless what these two have to say about it.
    You can read the reviews yourself and sounds like you have.
    Either hundreds of reviewers are lying or front loaders are just not all that great.

Then there is the extra expense and for what?

Just isn't worth the extra $500+ especially since they aren't any better.
    I would not put too much faith into what salesmen and corporate lackys from Whirlpool or ANY other company have to say.

Go with your gut, make a decision based on what fits your needs the best, and all you can really do is read reviews and throw out the ones where the reviewers seems like an idiot.
    If you read 200 reviews on one machine and 98% of those reviews are 5 star with virtually no one listing any glaring problems then odds are at least decent that might be a good machine.
    If you read 50 reviews on a machine and more than 20% of the reviews keep listing the exact same problem (like mold for instance)then odds are there might be a problem with mold with that machine.
    It is simple mathematics.

When we get ours hopefully on the 11th I will give you an honest report of what we think about them after doing about 10 loads of laundry that we will have piled up by then.
    Of course that will not give you any dependability rating as that will not be available for about another 7+ years.

• asolo
    12 years ago

I would prefer a review based on your experience....of which you have none. This is a book report.

Having no actual experience, it seems to me you've tried to be diligent and thorough in your research -- which is what we all try to do. You've placed your bet via purchase. Hope it works out for you. Please do come back later and tell us what you think of the new units.

• Kappen
    12 years ago

@Jennifer & Nunyabiz

Jennifer by door open they just mean unlock and ajar they don't mean wide open, your cats would be fine.

Nunyabiz, about bearing failures, while I will admit I did see posts about bearing failures it occurred to me it was probably because of the high RPMs FLs spin most seems to do 1000-1300 RPM. Your top loader since its a HE washer spins just as fast so you might have the same issue. Most of the FL reviews I read with bearing complaints were machines over 5 years old. Have fast spinning top loading HE washers even been on the market for 5 years?

• oregpsnow
    12 years ago

Like Asolo, I have a Whirlpool set that is almost 5 years old and troublefree. Clean clothes, fast drying, no mold or smell. Proper operation that does not require a lot of time or effort is the key to being happy with FLs.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@oregpsnow, according to Nunyabiz1 you're an anomaly. It apparently has nothing to do with your maintenance of your machine. And he should know he's read hundreds of reviews.

He still hasn't enlightened us with where exactly those reviews are so we can judge for ourselves the content.

Who even knows what machines he's talking about.

I agree, older machines like my previous Frigidaire were known for bearing failure. Although I got 10 solid years from mine so I'm not complaining.

@Nunyabiz1 would like to ignore all the "actual" front load owners on this forum as we all disagree with his theory.

I thought about it today, I actually know 27 people using front load machines. I'm curious how many actual users Nunyabiz1 knows. I'm guessing none.

Only one person had an issue with one set of machines. Her and her husband are builders so they move fairly often. She's had 4 sets of FL machines and only the LG had a problem. She didn't run screaming from font loaders, she started buying Miele after that (she's had 2 sets of Miele) and she's super happy.

Most people come to this forum to hear the opinion/advice of actual users. I guess Nunyabiz1 only wanted to come here and tell everyone what he thought. Interesting.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

I did not nor has anyone else said that 100% of FL are junk and will have a mold problem 100% of the time.

What I see which I have stated quite clearly is that about 20% of all the reviews I see for ALL FL mention a mold/mildew problem, some makes an models little more than that, some less.

I also see quite a few having bearing failure and seal leaks, far more than a few and far more than enough to make it a serious concern before I would ever plop down more than $2500 for the average pair of FLs.

I have only known one person in my life that had a FL washer and they hated it, it had mold problems and they just didn't like bending over to take the cloths out either, they actually sold it before it had a chance for the bearing to fail they had it I think about 2 years at most.

I am an actual user of TOP LOADERS, this is NOT a FRONT LOADER forum.
    I simply gave the OP my OPINION based on hundreds of reviews I have read the past few weeks while shopping for a washer and dryer and why I made my choice to get a top loader Vs a FL. No more no less.

You are the one with a stick up yer arse not me.

You do not agree with me, that is great, that is your opinion and I have mine which I base on hundreds of reviews I have read, why is that so hard for you to grasp?

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

Kappen,
    yes the TL we are getting spins at 1100rpm but the problems with FL bearing failures is a design flaw not RPM related.

It is not uncommon for the bearing failures to happen in less than 3 years and it is pretty common to happen between 5-7 years. I am not paying a premium of well over $1000 for a washer that is only going to last on average 5 years.

Here is an appliance repair site talking about the problem.
    ========================================================
    ""The problem you have is characteristic of front load washers. The reason is that the axis is horizontal but the pressure is vertical. There is simply no way a design can be made that offsets this problem and would still have low enough cost to be economically saleable, or at least no one has come up with one yet. Throw in microprocessor controls and with a front load washer you have expensive problems waiting to happen.

A basic top loading washer will do a great job, cost less, be less likely to fail and cost less to repair.""

http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/74149-front-load-washer-bearing.html
    ========================================================

Also TL washers are better at handling off balance loads which could be part of the problem.

Another repairman of 30 years talking about the bearing problem.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Should-You-Get-a-Top-Load-Washer-Instead-of-a-Front-Load-Washer&id=1434556

Another repairman in the business for years, here is what he says about FL washers.
    ===========================================================
    """I'm seeing American-made front loaders' main bearings lasting only 5-7 years, and that's just not long enough (I don't see enough 'offshore' brand machines - Asko, Miele, etc - to know much about their reliability).

It's tough to fix this inherent weakness, and it's the number one reason (of several) that I can't recommend these machines.

Here's the problem: When you hang 40-50 pounds of water, laundry, and basket out on the end of a rotating shaft supported by bearings pressed into plastic, you have a mechanical system that just can't survive very long.

Other problems include leakage at the seam between the two (plastic) tank halves, basket pulley failure, usually resulting in tub wear-through and leaks, and motor (3 phase) controller circuit board failures, just to name a few of the most common."""

http://www.davesrepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYnofrontloadersyet.htm

These are inherent problems with the front loader design in general, yes you can have a front loader last 10 years without an issue obviously but your odds of it failing on you are greater than the odds of a TL failing.

Another FL problem related to the bearing failures is this "Spider bracket" problem in Kenmore, Whirlpool, Maytag, Frigidaire washers.

http://tim.cexx.org/?tag=front-load

Here are 331 Complaints about Mold/Mildew problems with various FL washers on just this one site.

http://housewares.about.com/b/2011/08/16/reader-mold-issue-with-large-whirlpool-duet-washer.htm

75% of Americans still prefer Top Loaders and most that try FL go back to top loaders.

http://174.129.132.250/home/2010/04/best-front-loaders-top-loaders-which-is-more-popular-mold-vibration-washing-machine-reviews.html

• asolo
    12 years ago

Fine, fine, fine.

Now, how 'bout everybody takin' a good long swig of shut-up and maybe just camp out for a while until Nunyabiz1 takes delivery and lives with his/her chosen machine for maybe more than a week and maybe comes back with an opinion that isn't somebody else's.

Jeez....I feel like I'm being chastised for my study habits.

• akrogirl
    12 years ago

Wow, I can't believe how lucky I have been, lol. I have had FLs by Hotpoint, Philips, Asko and Miele over the past 40 years or so, and haven't experienced so much as one problem with mold, seal or bearings.

Pity I haven't been so lucky with my lottery tickets ;-)

• livebetter
    12 years ago

"You do not agree with me ..."

Agreeing with you is not the issue. Your attitude is the issue. Maybe your a grumpy old man ... I don't know. There must be some reason your comments sound the way they do.

You just posted another rude comment on another thread where you profess to know what will happen to someone else with a front load machine.

You didn't say it was just your opinion, you out and out said, "except of course if you put large loads in the FL the bearings will fail just that much faster." (like you actually know it will happen - VERY presumptuous)

I don't have a stick anywhere, I just have no patience for "know it alls" that really know nothing and add absolutely nothing to the conversation.

If you want to start commenting like a considerate human, well, maybe I'd feel different.

In fact, after reading your above post I was going to say that was the most humble post I've read from you until I saw that cr** you wrote on the other thread.

Here's a news flash - people here can read. We wouldn't be here if we couldn't read. We've all read stuff and we've all made our own decisions. You're not like some super Internet slueth who figured out what all us poor dumb front load users couldn't.

Why don't you just get your new machine, enjoy it and stop trying to tell us why we're so stupid. I'm not telling you your stupid for getting and HE TL.

• JenniferHyatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Kaffen....

lol...you don't know my cats! They get into everything. One day, after my kitten had grown into a teenager cat, I came home and was shocked when I looked in the kitchen. Every single drawer in the kitchen was pulled out! He went around, put his paws up and then used his body weight to pull the drawer out. Then, my other kitten jumped on the counter and had pulled out everything and tossed it on the floor!

I have learned that I have to be extra careful with these kitties. For instance, this morning my tiniest girl had crawled through the wood blinds to get into the window. We even had to change every door handle to door knobs in the house because one of my cats can open any door that has a handle on it. Trust me, they would get into a washing machine. They already sit on top of the dryer when it is going. They love warm and dark places, and they even learned how to get into my entertainment unit to sit on the dish receiver.

@asolo...I don't know what you are talking about. This is the only thread I have about dryers.

I don't know why people are getting so upset at each other. We are all trying to find the best products and this should be a great place to share experiences...including whatever research we have done. Instead, people seem to take it personally when someone states that the appliances they own have had notable problems. Can't we all just appreciate the fact that people are willing to share information? I sure do. Obviously no one can say which item is "the best". There is no "best". What is perfect for you might be horrible for someone else and vice versa. But we all gain from information.

I am very grateful to everyone for sharing what they know on this subject. I was afraid no one would comment at all and I would be left on my own. Times have certainly changed for me, if not for everyone. I am a lot more careful about spending money and I am a lot more concerned with things lasting. I know my money doesn't go as far as it used to, and I know things will be even tighter 10 years from now. I can't trust sales people when it comes to which machine is best, but I do pay attention when they talk about problems. I rely on real people like you all to let me know the truth.

I can't tell you how much I also appreciate the links to other sites that talk about which is best and why. I pride myself on being an excellent researcher, but it is hard to find all these articles. If we all posted everything we found that was useful in one place, I think it would save everyone a lot of time.

I really want you all to know how grateful I am for your postings.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@JenniferHyatt, @asolo was referring to the fact that you posted the exact same message twice (one on Monday and then the exact same message on Tuesday).

One:
    Posted by JenniferHyatt (My Page) on Mon, Oct 31, 11 at 3:28

Two:
    Posted by JenniferHyatt (My Page) on Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 21:28

My mother has 3 cats and owns an LG front loader. She's never had a problem. Maybe her cats aren't as mischievous.

This is usually a great place to learn new things and swap information with others.

The problem is when certain posters take a "know it all attitude". You know the saying, "no one appreciates a know it all."

It's one thing to voice your opinion but to insist something is exactly how you say it is (especially when you have no real life experience) is annoying to those of us who do actually have real life experience (and plenty of it).

To continue to post negative comments when someone posts a positive one is not productive (and I'm sure not appreciated by the positive poster).

I could continue to post tons of positive reviews for every negative review/comment posted but it's waisted energy. Some people aren't here to exchange ideas, there here to convince others they are right.

Sadly, I have a family member like that. No one ever wants to have a discussion with her because it's never really a discussion - it's her trying to convince you of her position. It gets old fast.

Good luck with your search. I hope you find what you need. At the end of the day, we all have to make decisions based on our research and hope for the best.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

"""I don't know why people are getting so upset at each other. We are all trying to find the best products and this should be a great place to share experiences...including whatever research we have done. Instead, people seem to take it personally when someone states that the appliances they own have had notable problems. Can't we all just appreciate the fact that people are willing to share information? I sure do. Obviously no one can say which item is "the best". There is no "best". What is perfect for you might be horrible for someone else and vice versa. But we all gain from information.

I am very grateful to everyone for sharing what they know on this subject. I was afraid no one would comment at all and I would be left on my own. Times have certainly changed for me, if not for everyone. I am a lot more careful about spending money and I am a lot more concerned with things lasting. I know my money doesn't go as far as it used to, and I know things will be even tighter 10 years from now. I can't trust sales people when it comes to which machine is best, but I do pay attention when they talk about problems. I rely on real people like you all to let me know the truth.

I can't tell you how much I also appreciate the links to other sites that talk about which is best and why. I pride myself on being an excellent researcher, but it is hard to find all these articles. If we all posted everything we found that was useful in one place, I think it would save everyone a lot of time.

I really want you all to know how grateful I am for your postings.""

I agree with you completely, we seem to be pretty much the same, but they are only "upset at me" for pointing out the known flaws in the front loader design which for some reason they are pretty attached to almost like a religion.

I have only listed information that disagrees with their personal experience they have had with their particular FL.
    For some reason they believe that to be a slam on them personally, Oh Well, not much I can do about that and listing reviews and articles is nothing more than that, just listing information.

I just research the hell out of what it is I buy nowadays because it is rather easy to do compared to decades ago.
    The research I came up with to me at least is quite clear, hundreds of reviews from owners along with several articles from appliance repairmen show that FL washers have a design flaw in the bearings along with the seals and also mold issues.
    That to me at least excludes FL washers as any thing I would buy especially since on average they are considerably more expensive on top of being "in general" less reliable.

If I only saw a very few reviews about mold, or very few about bearing failures and seal leaking etc then I could discount those to a degree because any and all machines no matter if FL or TL have duds and a bad machine here and there, but anybody that seriously researches TL Vs FL washers has to see that FL washers are definitely more prone to bearing failure, seal leaks and certainly Mold issues.
    Its every where you look, the only way you could miss it is total denial of factual reality.

Anyway, I have decided to completely ignore a couple of posters, so anytime I see their name I just go right past the post and refuse to read it. Maybe they will calm down.

Good luck on your quest.

I will post back once we have the Dryer and give you a report on it.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

" ...the only way you could miss it is total denial of factual reality."

R U serious???

You wonder why I'm upset with you?? You always have a jerk comment that's why. Your post was doing fine until you threw that in. Either you don't realize you're being a jerk or you don't care.

Just further proof that anyone who doesn't see it your way is stupid. You get that is what you're saying when you post those comments right? You're smart enough to understand that right?

I'm not attached to my machine like a religion I just don't put much (if any) value in any of the articles you posted. You think I haven't seen that information?? You're ignorant.

I prefer front loaders but I'm not about to tell someone who just purchased an HE TL that I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. I wouldn't touch one but I made that decision based on my personal needs. I'm not arrogant enough to keep shoving my reasons in others faces and telling them (over and over) if they can't see why HE TL are crap they must be stupid.

As long as you keep posting ignorant and rude comments I won't calm down (and I'm actually a very nice poster usually).

Trust that others agree you're ignorant; they just won't waste their energy on you.

• JenniferHyatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@livebetter and @asolo....I had no idea that posted twice. I didn't do it on purpose.

I am off to the store to go buy a dryer. Still not sure what I am going to buy. I will let you all know what I end up with. But, even I, the girl who never does laundry, finally has to do laundry. lol. Whatever I get will have to suffer through a ton of loads on its first day. I plan on getting the extended warranty too. I will let you all know what I end up with and how it works.

Wish me luck.

• georgect
    12 years ago

Best of luck to you JenniferHyatt!
    Please let us know all about your purchase.

• JenniferHyatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@georgect...thank you!

I went to Lowes to buy the dryer and they didn't have one in stock. They said it would take over a week or more to get it delivered. I didn't think I had to live with that. Turns out they had one in another Lowes so I ordered it from them. They have free delivery so it didn't matter to me which store delivered it. I didn't even have to drive to the other store, I just ordered it over the phone. I will be getting it tomorrow.

I ended up getting the the Whirlpool Cabrio WGD8600YW. I was going to get a lower model, but this one was on sale so it ended up being cheaper. MSRP was $1,099 and after all the sales and discounts I am getting it for $728. Still high, but not terrible. This model has steam, so I will let you know if I end up liking that feature. I actually got it because it had the larger drum: 7.6 cu. ft.

One other really stupid thing I ended up liking was the pretty chrome looking frame around the dryer door. Not sure if it is real chrome, but it is shiny. I like shiny. I know I know, totally ridiculous, but I like it.

The dryer has so many features I will have to read the manual just to figure out all the options. I hope I haven't bought a ton of problems. However, I am actually looking forward to doing my laundry. lol.

I bought the extended warranty for 4 years, so with the regular warranty that will bring it up to 5 years. Lowes also has a great policy that if I don't like the dryer in the next 30 days I can return it for a full refund. I will use all the extra options this machine has as often as I can during that time so if I don't like it I can switch models.

I will let you all know how it works and what I do and don't like about it.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

"One other really stupid thing I ended up liking was the pretty chrome looking frame around the dryer door."

Hey, something has to make you "happy" when you're doing laundry ;)

Let us know how it works out.

• georgect
    12 years ago

Looks good Jennifer!
    Best of luck...get that puppy installed and give us a report.
    I'm excited for you this Saturday (delivery day).

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

Looks good, sounds like you did your homework and got exactly what you wanted and have a easy way out (30 day easy return policy) in case you get the proverbial lemon so cant beat that for peace of mind.

Good luck and report back

• JenniferHyatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got the dryer. Did a bunch of loads and I am still conflicted.

Here is my dryer...the Cabrio wgd8600yw: http://www.whirlpool.com/-[WGD8600YW]-1020627/WGD8600YW/

First of all the Cabrio Platinum dryer is HUGE! Large inside and also large on the outside. I measured how tall it was, and how wide it was, but I didn't think to measure how deep it was. Because of the extra capacity it is very deep too. I got lucky and it just fit in the space I had. The drum inside is the largest I have ever seen. I had a 7.0 dryer before and this looks much larger. Can easily fit a king comforter inside.

The dryer is very quiet.

The problem I have is that it seems to over dry the clothes...or it cools them down too much. I can't quite figure out what is going on. I hate ironing and have always been able to fold clothes quickly so that wrinkles don't set in. On this dryer however, it seems the tshirts come out of the dryer too wrinkled to smooth out with my hand. They have those little micro wrinkles...you know, the way tshirts look if you leave them in the dryer for hours. Not really big lines of wrinkles...just the cotton isn't smooth. Does anyone know what I mean...it is hard to explain.

I did find one thing that seemed to help...I dry the clothes on the less dry setting...then they are damp when the buzzer sounds. After that I blast them on high heat for a few minutes and take them out and fold them immediately. That seemed to help. But the jeans were really twisted up. I thought having a huge dryer would make it better for wrinkles not worse.

I tried the steam cycle this dryer claims to have and it didn't seem to do a thing. The clothes came out no different than if I had put them in a dryer with no steam. I suppose it might not be working. I will have to watch again. This dryer does have steam, but it doesn't have the wrinkle guard with steam setting some of the Cabrios have. I doubt that would make much of a difference, but maybe.

If I had paid a lot of money for this dryer I would probably send it back. It certainly hasn't worked better than my other dryers and I am really struggling with how to avoid the wrinkles. However, when they delivered it, it had a tiny scratch under the hinge they had to move because I wanted the door to open the other way. Thanks to that tiny scratch, they gave me another $150.00! This dryer ended up being only $550. If I trade it in for the lesser model, I will have to pay more! Plus, I don't know what is causing all that wrinkling. Could it be the difference between gas and electric? Is it this brand? Would they all be the same? I just know I used to be able to take the tshirts out of the dryer, smooth them with my hand and they looked as good as if I ironed them. Now, they look like I didn't fold them until the next day like a freshman in college. I will keep experimenting with settings, but this is annoying.

• georgect
    12 years ago

I don't know if this may help but give it a try.

You can try lowering the temp. for the cycle selected and also try less dry.

"Wrinkle Guard" is added tumbling after the clothes are already dried. They tumble for a minute or two every five minutes when the cycle is done (so that wouldn't make a difference).

• caryscott
    12 years ago

Nothing is straight forward anymore but I bet if you play around you will find the right combination to get the clothes to come out like you want them (I'm someone who doesn't iron either).

For the record I own an entry level front loader from Samsung (WF-1254) and I really like it so far (2 years next month). No smells, I don't wipeout the machine after I use it but I do find some water pools in the gasket so I give it a wipe - I don't find this to be a great burden. To each his\her own. I'm not one to prosthelytize but if it meets your needs I wouldn't dismiss a front loader as an option based on what someone else says they read on the internet (similarly I wouldn't get one purely based on another persons research either).

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

Jennifer.
    We finally got our Washer and Dryer yesterday, have done 5 loads so far and could not be happier.
    The Dryer is fantastic, huge, we just set it for whatever we are putting in it and it does the rest.
    So far it hasn't used anything more than medium heat, we have dried a full load of towels and jeans, a king sized comforter, sheets, delicate's etc and everything to this point has come out virtually perfect and damn near wrinkle free. Also nothing has taken more than 40 minutes.
    Everything has come out perfectly dry so far, not over dry at all, just "Al Dente" so to speak, could not have done better in any way.
    We have not tried the steam function yet and frankly really don't care about it. We 'may" change our minds of course once we try it, it could be good for freshening up a raw silk shirt or something and getting the wrinkles out.

We actually wanted the 5100 washer and dryer but because they don't sell it in the Metallic color my wife wanted we ended up getting the WT5101H and because Sears has it mismarked saying right on all the literature that it comes in that color we complained a bit and they actually gave us an extra $200 off which basically made it the same price as the lower priced ones anyway.

The Washer is great, can't imagine a washer getting clothes any cleaner than this is.
    I have watched a couple of loads all the way through, it uses plenty of water, just enough to cover the clothes, the agitation is pretty remarkable.
    It really works nicely, will spin the clothes one way, spray the detergent water into the middle which pushes the water through the clothes as they spin, then will stop and spin the opposite direction doing the same thing.
    It really works the clothes well in every direction.
    The rinse is pretty good with just one rinse, haven't even seen the need to do 1 or 2 more rinses.

One thing it did on the second load which was a set of king size sheets plus 3 throw blankets, as it was getting ready to rinse it sensed the load was going to be off balance, so it stopped, then added water again, jiggled a bit, swished it one then the other slung it hard a couple of times each way to get the load balanced which worked.
    It then started right back where it left off and started the rinse cycle and spun at 1100rpm with no problems.

First time I have seen a self correcting off balance before.

We are going to do a load of whites and VERY dirty rags and such tomorrow through the Sanitary cycle to check that out.

Both washer and dryer are very quiet and one thing that I absolutely love is the little tune it plays at the end.

Sooooo much better than our old dryer which was so annoying was a VERY load screeching buzzer that would last all the way through a whole set of commercials on TV, it seemed like it would never STFU.
    My only regret is that I was not able to blast that buzzer with my shotgun before they hauled it away.
    I m sure it is in the trash dump right now buzzing even not plugged in.

So as far as how they work, both are absolutely fantastic in every way, no complaints about anything.
    Now if they will just last at least 10 years trouble free then we will have scored.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

Your Neptune TL has/had the same sort of auto balance correction. It tries to spin a few times, then refills and tumbles for a moment, drains and tries again. Fisher & Paykel agitator toploaders also have (optional) auto balance correction, same process, tries to spin up to three times (extracting a little more water each time), then refills & agitates, tries again. Both will stop and beep for help if spin still fails after the correction attempt.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

I never noticed the old Maytag doing it, although I doubt I would have known. I don't recall seeing any warning sign or beep or whatever like this one does.
    It shows a message on the screen something like uE I believe it was which signifies that it is off balance and is trying to correct it, plus since the lid is glass I can see what it is doing.

I guess the old Maytag might well have had it though because it rarely did go out of balance I just never noticed it.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

Tried the Sanitary cycle yesterday.
    Took 2:56, the water that comes in for the wash is at least very warm because the glass lid steamed up quite a bit.

It fills to the exact point to just barely cover the clothes each time, starts out swishing the clothes around briskly in both directions for several minutes then starts a very slow spin of just 25rpm and starts heating up the water.
    About every 10-15 minutes it stops the slow spin and does the same hard agitation back and forth for several minutes then back to the slow spin.
    I paused the machine and checked water temp at 1 hour (126 degrees) then at 2hours (155 degrees) I assume at some point it got to its target temp of 158, but it certainly worked.
    It was hot enough to where it was literally raining inside dripping from the lid.
    Everything came out nice and clean, set in stains from years of washing and drying were obviously still there but any new stains were all gone.
    Comes out of the spin virtually dry.

So every cycle works so far, now just have to wait 10+ years to see about reliability.

• asolo
    12 years ago

Every manufacturer making machines with on-board heaters has a "nominal" temperature target for various cycles that they publish. Usually they also publish within the same text "+/- 5 degrees" or something like that. If you say you're within 3 degrees of your machine's nominal target, I'd say everything's fine.

Glad you like the new machine. C'mon back after a few months of living with it and tell us what you think.

• venmarfan
    12 years ago

Just a thought and question re the steam cycle not seeming to make a difference in wrinkling-is there a water hose connection to the dryer and did the installers attach it, or do you have to manually fill a water container somewhere in the dryer?

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

In ours it is a small container you fill with distilled water.

I will probably try it in the next few days, I have a couple of raw silk shirts that are both as wrinkled as I think it is possible for a shirt to get.

If it works on those 2 then it will work on anything.

• JenniferHyatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yup. There is a water hose attached. Sadly, they had to take off the good metal hoses I had and attached rubber hoses for the steam feature. I was told never to use rubber hoses, but the installer said that is only for hot water, and the steam attachment goes into the cold water line from the washer.

I haven't done another load yet, so I can't report back yet. I am sure I will find a setting that works. It is just a matter of experimenting. But, it does dry fast!

Gosh Nunya...I don't think I could stand a 3 hour wash cycle! Good thing you don't have to use it very often. Did it make that much of a difference? I think I will be holding onto my old washing machine that doesn't cool down the hot water coming into it. My hot out of the tap water is pretty darn hot.

So glad you love your machines! Congrats! I am a little jealous, but I am sure I will find some settings that work for me. I haven't tried manual yet.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

I honestly didn't see any big difference in what we washed anyway. Yes everything came out clean as a whistle but so did everything washed on the normal cotton cycle that took 51 minutes.
    We just wanted to use it to make sure that everything worked on the machine.

I guess if you were washing dirty cloth baby diapers or something then the extra hot (158 degrees) and super long wash might be worth it to you from a Disinfecting stand point, of course the bleach does than anyway but as far as regular washing of just dirty whites etc then just a normal wash in Hot wash cold rinse is more than adequate.

In fact we washed most loads 4 out of 6 in warm/cold and everything was fantastically clean and fresh.
    So the standard wash is 51 minutes with one rinse which was fine, each added rinse was I believe 13 minutes or so extra.

Each full load now only takes 90 minutes or less from going into washer to coming out of dryer.
    It used to take that long or MORE just for the dryer and 68 minute wash before so we are saving about 70 minutes per load from the old set.
    Actually even more than that really because we always had to wait at least 30 minutes or more for the dryer to finish before we could put in another load.
    So really saving about 100 minutes per load time wise.

Unless there is some odd reason the metal hoses do not fit then I think the installer fed a line O BS about the hoses.

We use the "Floodsafe" stainless braided lines, they have a automatic shutoff feature that in case a line blows or the washing machine malfunctions in anyway causing water to fly then the hose automatically shuts the water flow off.

I am going to install these on all our water fixtures soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floodsafe

• JenniferHyatt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The problem with the hoses, is that I needed a splitter and the installer said that so far, they don't make one of those in the metal hoses. I love the idea of those hoses you linked to, but I didn't see a splitter on there either. (The hose has to split the cold water line between the washer and the dryer...then I was able to add my metal braided lines to the splitter, but I don't like the rubber hoses on there at all.

I can't figure out what causes the clothes to come out wrinkled. Is it that the dryer is too hot? If so, I can use a lower setting. But I tried that and it didn't seem to make a difference. I have a hunch the problem is that the dryer cools things down too long. I wonder if the manual timer does the same. I put it on the less dry setting and the clothes still seemed wrinkled AND damp. I then put them on high heat for a few minutes and that seemed to work...once. I will try to recreate it and let you know.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

All you need is this then.
    Then attach the regular stainless braided lines to that.

Link at bottom

Here is a link that might be useful: Hose Splitter

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

Well not sure about what is causing your to come out wrinkled.
    I hear many times it is if the heat is too high and then if you don't take them out immediately.

Anyway I took 3 raw silk shirts that have been sitting in my closet since August because I haven't felt like ironing them and lately its been to chilly to wear them anyway.

Well they had EPIC Wrinkles with a capital W and have been wrinkled for 4 months.

I put them on the "Steamfresh" cycle, filled up the water with cold water from our fridge that is filtered.
    Didn't change any settings or add any special anything, just turned it to steamfresh and threw the shirts in and hit the button.
    Took 20 minutes, started out heating shirts up for about 3 minutes or so, then stopped and steamed, ran less than a minute and steamed and kept doing this for several minutes.
    The last part I think it was 9 minutes was just drying.
    So the shirts and the inside of dryer were dry when it sang its little tune.

Took out shirts, hung them on a hanger and I would say that wrinkles were diminished by probably 60-70% surprisingly.
    Even in the book that comes with it it doesn't say it gets rid of wrinkles, just that it lessens them and there is a setting that leaves them damp to stop static and makes ironing easier.
    I was actually surprised at how much it lessened the wrinkles out of shirts that have been sitting in the closet as wrinkled as they could possibly be for months.

Top picture is before, bottom is after and all I did was simply pull it out and hang it up. Not bad really.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

Looks to me like the Steamfresh cycle will be very useful for a dry clean only shirt or blazer or my Linen pants to put them in and "freshen" them up, get out a few wrinkles and be able to wear them one more time before dry cleaning again.

Or also for a suit or what ever that has been sitting in the closet for a year and you just want them to smell fresh and maybe lessen those closet wrinkles so you can wear them without washing or dry cleaning.

Didn't particularly care about the "Steam" cycle on the dryer when we got it, but since we got it for about the same price as the cheaper one I can't complain and glad we ended up with this model instead.
    Seems like the steam function will be useful on occasion.

• caryscott
    12 years ago

Floodsafe hoses - I considered them but there are some disconcerting reports of them breaking that I would check out before deciding to use them. I thought the Floodchek ones sounded like the best bet but I can't find them in my area.

Here is a link that might be useful: floodchek

• asolo
    12 years ago

Floodchek hoses available from the site. Not surprised you couldn't find locally. I've never yet found them at any retail store. Internet site works fine. Advise also getting the bronze goose-neck fittings for each end. I have them at two locations. Highly recommended.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz