Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leah_5

Extended warrenties-Sears, Lowe's, HD

leah_5
15 years ago

I am going to buy a washing machine in the next couple days. The extended warranty at Sears is $307 and Lowe's and Home Depot are both around $99. Sears tells me that theirs costs more because they will give me a brand new, updated machine if anything goes wrong (beyond repair) and the others may give me a refurbished model. Sears also performs yearly maintenance checks as part of their warranty and the others do not. Sears also has a 90 day return policy and the others are only 30 days.

Anyone know anything about these or have any experience? Do you think it is worth the extra $200? We have terrible luck with appliances, so I want to make sure we are covered!

Comments (12)

• cynic
    15 years ago

Read the policies. Do you understand that just because you have a service contract does not mean that the problem will be covered.

Yearly maintence checks. Big deal. What will they do? I doubt they'll clean the dryer vent which should be done. Plus you have to arrange to get them out there.

How long is the service contract and how much are you paying for the machine? $300 can cover a couple service calls. There's no way I'd pay that kind of money for a service contract. $99? Possibly, if I was buying a real high-end unit and it's in writing that they have no exemptions.

As far as the 30 vs 90 day return, I'd make sure it's in writing and compare what the restock fees are. I've seen a lot of reports that Sears is tightening up the return policy dramatically and cutting the time frame.

A service contract is no better than the person providing the service. Do they know what they're doing? Keep in mind you can be without a machine for months while you wait for the service people to show up and you have no recourse. If you save that money and call your own service person you'll likely get a lot faster response.

New vs refurbished. To me, that's no big deal. With Sears you don't always know if you're getting a new unit anyway. And I'd check on the others. Salespeople aren't always the most knowledgeable nor are they always the most honest.

What is the REAL contract? They like to include mfgr warranty in the service contract to make it look better so know what you're buying. And be aware that service contracts are huge moneymakers for these places. The simple fact is that they're seldom used, but they play on your fear to extort the money out of you. When I bought my refrigerator they pushed and pushed and I finally said "are these REALLY so unreliable that I need this? If so I'd better buy something else from someone else" I wish now that I'd have just cancelled the sale altogether but that's a different story.
    It also just occurred to me that how many times do they give a new machine? 1 out of 1000 service calls maybe? And that's service calls, not sales. So 999 time $207.... pays for a lot of machines doesn't it?

I'd advise you to think it over carefully. Also get it in writing as to what will void your "warranty" too.

• housefairy
    15 years ago

Listen to Cynic.

We're just not a big time buyer of service contracts. The biggest complaint is you have to deal with their people. If they want to put you off for weeks then you have no recourse.

That being said, I had a just expired H2O French Maytag Refrigerator that went beserk. It was opening and shutting the ice chute door continually. Maytag wouldn't come out for a week and wouldn't tell me how to make it stop. So, I just called another repairman that came out that day and pulled a wire so at least it would shut up until a part could be purchased.

And with the economy, be aware that the company that you buy the service contract from might not be be around if you need the service.

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

I have the 99 dollar one from HD on LG and I'm sure eventually something will have to be fixed so this was cheap enough.
    But I also know Sears has this rapair fee, if you call for setting up appointment they give you option either pay the basic fee and pay for the repair or pay 175 dollars ( I forgot exactly) and they will fix it or replace it if it isn't fixable, which sometimes is really good deal, specially if you have expensive appliances or old dead one.

• leah_5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are purchasing a high end unit and we have TERRIBLE luck with appliances, so I feel safer with the extended warranty. We owned our last washing machine for 4 years and spent a total of $800 in repairs over the 4 years. The machine only cost $500! We also have a Kenmore stovetop and a built in oven that stopped working 1 and 4 months after the warranty ran out. So, $99 for me is nothing. I can and will read the fine print when I buy, it is just hard to read it from every store and figure it all out!

Sears does have a 15% restocking fee, but I was told they almost always wave this. I'm sure I could not get this in writing! Lowe's is no questions asked return policy and they guarantee they will have a service provider here within 48 hours. The policies all extend 4 years after the original contract. That's what I know so far!

• donnawb
    15 years ago

I think they are a waste of money. I had one about 15 years ago on a washer. It started rusting out after less than a year being in my A/C house. They didn't want to give me a new one they wanted to replace all the parts. One guy does these, the next week the other guy will do these. I have 3 kids and need a machine. After calling all the hire ups I did get a new machine. Usually if something is going to go wrong that is covered it will happen when in warranty. Most of the time if you pay with a credit card you will get double the warranty. The warranties they sell starts from the day you buy not when the manufacture expires. It is pure profit for them.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

My 4 year bumper to bumper Lowes warranty doesn't start till the one year manf warranty ends. That's a total fo 5 years. For $100 and today's computerized appliances and the lack of workmanship, to me, it's $100 well spent for peace of mind. I've used Lowe's warranties before (just once) and had no problems or surprises. The only surprise came when my KA range came on, BY IT'S SELF, and "growled" at me :o Yeah, THAT was a problem! :o
    Monica

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

Monica, I got the same deal at HD that you got at Lowe's. For me, it was well worth the price.

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

That's what I have too. And guys at HD even offered help in case there is some problem w/ the machines. He said just to contact them and they take care of the service for us. I thought it was nice, buy I hope I will not need their help anytime soon.

• pratzert
    15 years ago

Well, I don't know what Sears may have told you, but don't believe them.

They DO charge a 15% restocking fee. No matter what !

I have heard that they have stopped honoring their "Lifetime" warranty on Craftsman tools as well.

They have filed for bankruptcy in the past and I think they will be out of business sooner rather than later.

• stumpydarby
    15 years ago

Ihave NEVER been a fan extended warranties of any kind, but I am considering getting one for my next W & D purchase. I live in the ligtining capital of the world. (Orlando -- Altamonte Springs actually) and I have heard horror stories of machines being fried to pieces and without the extended warranties the homeowneres were SOL! Insurance wouldn't cover it and they ended up having to buy allnew W & D. For a hundred bucks or so, I would sleep easy knowing that my W & D were safe.

• fordtech
    15 years ago

Unless your extended warranty specifically states it covers lightning damage or voltage surges and your insurance wont cover it, you can bet you will be footing the bill. I would get better insurance if that was the case for getting the extended warranty.

I would buy the 99.00 package if it covers most components for the duration of the warranty. 99.00 is a small price that can easily be eaten up in a diagnosis alone. I would not buy an expensive maintenance plan. You can wipe the machine down and clean the hose yourself.

• cynic
    15 years ago

Service contracts do NOT cover damage caused by lightning, flood, tornado, hurricane or pilot error. Whoever told you that is out of their mind. Most decent homeowner policies cover lightning damage. Check with your agent to be sure.

Plus you should have surge & spike protectors on your house and on your appliances if you have that much lightning. It's a good idea for everyone. Expensive equipment with electronic components are like computers, since that's what they are, and should be protected. If you rely on a service contract.... LOL.... good luck!

I used to know we'd be getting a lot of business at our computer store following a good lightning storm. Yep, lots of blown modems (from the phone lines) and occasionally much worse damage. No way did we or any other shop honor warranties for lightning damage.