Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arceeguy

Is the Whirlpool commercial same as domestic models?

arceeguy
9 years ago

A few years back, I thought I would have to replace my trusty 80's vintage Maytag washer with a new one because it had appeared the transmission had locked up. Well, it turned out that a sock had somehow gotten jammed in between the outer an inner tub and caused the belt to burn. Silly me, I used to fix these things for a living back when I was working my way through school. (memory goes first) Removed obstruction, replaced both belts and voila! Fast forward to today. The motor bearings seized up and burned out the windings. My wife wants a NEW machine - no excuses. She's been living with this one for 20+ years. It came with our first house and has moved with us because I won't give it up.

I remember a few years ago, someone mentioned that the Whirlpool commercial washers used the direct drive mechanism that they had been using for years, but was no longer available in domestic units. I was looking at a model GCAM2792TQ - which is no longer made. It looks like the commercial Whirlpool units use the same mechanism as the domestic units now. Can anyone confirm this? Are they any good?

Also looking at Speed Queen top loaders, since they still have mechanical controls and weigh in at nearly 200 lbs, which is considerably heavier than any consumer model conventional top loader. The AWN432 seems to be solidly built, unlike pretty much everything else. But - do they sacrifice water savings for clean clothes? It isn't energy star rated, but big brother has instituted minimum standards and that's what I'm afraid of. I'd also have to have it shipped, as the nearest Speed Queen dealer will charge me an arm and a leg to deliver, so I might as well buy it online if I go this route.

I refuse to buy a front load washer. Too many people I know have spent over $1000 for washing machines that make their clothes smell funky if you don't run a "cleaner" through it twice a month. If a washing machine needs to be cleaned - how clean is it getting your clothes?

I just bought a scratch n' dent Admiral (Whirlpool) washer for $199 to hold us over until we make our final purchase, after we're done with it, we'll give it to a relative or something. Darn thing has a lid lock and electronic controls, and it doesn't seem to fill all the way when washing or rinsing. maybe that's why they lock the door shut - so you can't see how saving a few gallons of water is really just stewing your clothes in dirty water. I think the current Whirlpool commercials use the same motor, transmission, etc. Yuck. This thing is a tin can compared to the old Maytag.

Any suggestions for an "old school" water wasting washer that will last 30 years with minor repairs?

Heck - I'm still going to fix my Maytag with a used motor and put it in our basement so I can wash my filthy work clothes and my wife can have her shiny new one on the laundry room........

Comments (7)

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Hi arceeguy. I would recommend Speed Queen top load model AWN432. I bought this model in March 2013, just over a year and a half ago and it is as close to your old Maytag as it get's today.
    They wash and rinse very well and handle unbalanced loads very well. Great suspension in these machines. Never once had a load make the machine vibrate or walk.

I also had a DD Kenmore several years ago, which I liked; but as for me the tub,agitator and wash action of the SQ is superior. Especially handling unbalanced spin loads that would make the Kenmore bang the cabinet loudly.

The Speed Queen warranty alone should give peace of mind; since no other make offers what SQ offers.
    Hopefully these machines will stand the test of time.

Read all of the reviews on Speed Queen, overwhelmingly positive.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

I forgot to add, I did readjust the water level on mine. Now I have it just over the top row of holes. Like they used to be before nonsense EPA regulations. They fill about 2/3 the way up when you get it new. Thank God they still have an adjustment you can reset.

• boba1
    9 years ago

These WP commercial top loaders with the old DD mechanism have the dumbed down temps--115 for "hot" and 85 for "warm" according to the manual. BLEH!!

• User
    9 years ago

The ONLY washer these days that would come even close to your Maytag would be a Speed Queen. All other brands have been over-analyzed, and taken over by government energy standards.

And just to add here. You perception of front load washing is way off. Let me just sum it up and say that people who claim to have stinky clothes, stinky washers, clothes not clean, etc. are the ones at fault. Manufacturers cannot intentionally make machines that mold or do not clean. The vast majority of complaints from front load washers are the operator's fault, not the machine. I am a very proud front load user, and i recommend them highly. Have been for about 15 years now. In fact, I think today's top loaders are a joke. I know way more about vintage and modern appliances that you could ever imagine. I keep up with all new machines and appliance technology. I know how to do laundry properly. I also learned that there is a learning curve to using new washers and new technology. Front loaders are the way to go, and I strongly encourage you to re-think your theory on front loading washers. If not, speed queen is your best choice. Good luck!

• suburbanmd
    9 years ago

I'm also a front loader user and wouldn't willingly go back to a top loader. But I've seen too many front loader complaints, from seemingly intelligent and careful users, to believe that the vast majority of complaints are user error. Some people follow all the directions, and then try the advice given online, and still have a bad experience. There may be some bad machines out there. Tolerances on water level are probably pretty tight (too much = don't qualify for tax credits, too little = bad washing/rinsing), and some machines may be out of tolerance.

• arceeguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the responses!

@hvtech42 - I think the GCAM2792 is discontnued because when I pull up a search on it, there are no links coming up in Google shopping like if I search for CAE2793. I guess it is good to know that my el-cheapo Admiral has the same basic motor/drive system as a "commercial" model. The Speed Queen goes for about $800, which maybe adjusted for inflation, is what my old Maytag sold for in the 80's? That heavy construction, mechanical timers, mechanical level sensors all cost more to make.

@triedandtrue - thanks for the first hand review. I will be sure to look up how to adjust the level sensor switch to get a full tub of water!

@Miele1966 and suburbanmind - I'm sure that the new front loaders are capable of doing a good job, but what I'm looking for is the Harley-Davidson of washing machines. Old school simple and durable construction, only having modern doodads to comply with modern regulations - but easily bypassed. Something that will last 30 years with minimal repairs.

My old Maytag now has a new (used) motor and set of belts. A buddy of mine had an old dependable care Maytag with a leaking outer tub. I scored a motor, timer and helical transmission. My niece and her husband are picking it up this weekend for a house they are renting. They'll be buying a used dryer from the goodwill store. They have a matching vintage Maytag dryer there for 100 bucks.

I'm still getting the Speed Queen, and I'll probably completely drain the Admiral and put it in the basement as a spare or something. It doesn't do a bad job washing, and it is larger than the Maytag but it doesn't seem like it built for the long haul. I want to support a company like Speed Queen and keep them in business. What better way than putting your money where your mouth is!