Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcguy34

Asko Laundry

bcguy34
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

First time poster. I've been reading all I can on here about Asko and Miele laundry appliances. We are currently renovating our laundry room and I love the look of the Asko fully integrated models. I can find no reviews on the below models. I've had mixed responses from retailers but most recommend the Miele. Anyone with experience with these Asko ones? Or the drying cabinets?

We have been looking at
W6984FI Asko washer
T794FI Asko dryer

Thanks,

Casey

Comments (5)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Miele is a much more stable company with a much better service and distribution network in the US and Canada. Although Miele is a niche luxury brand in the USA it has over 3 billion euros in revenues every year.

Asko is relatively tiny by comparison and it was purchased by Slovenian appliance maker Gorenje a few years ago. They shut down all manufacturing in Sweden and moved all Asko production to Slovenia. I have not heard of a fall in reliability or quality but something to keep in mind. I have heard they have changed their dealership requirements in the USA a couple of times the last 10 years. So they take and give dealerships much more often than Miele. Miele dealers are basically order takers and get a commission. Miele handles everything including delivery, installation and service. I can see why stores would recommend Miele.

The one feature that would have me leaning toward Asko is hot washes get to 205 degrees F while Miele's North American models get to 155.

I am a bit surprised by the lack of responses but hope that helps.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

I had an Asko set but they were Swedish-made. The washer's controller board failed after 9 years and the part was discontinued. So the set had to be replaced. The Asko was very good on whites but not as good on other type of loads. It also has the smallest capacity of any of the front loaders.

Went with Miele which has a larger capacity drum. Although Miele's hottest setting is 158F that's hot enough to curdle an egg. The 205F setting on the Asko is great to have in theory but modern fibers, many with elasticizers, don't need to be cleaned in water that's 7 degrees below boiling. I rarely used that setting.

Miele machines can be integrated. The daily results are far better than Asko's and even the Bosch which I had in another home and liked a lot.

There definitely is learning curve for the Mieles -- two of us created a cheat sheet which I find essential even after many months. But this is a terrific front loader pair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Washer Cheat Sheet

• bcguy34
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your responses! I wonder if the quality will be improved with the change from The Sweedish plant. Asko in Canada has a five year free wannenty on now but that doesn't mean much if the units are prone to failure. I was hoping for someone to chime in that has the designer fully integrated models and give them a glowing review. I wish Miele had integrated models.

Cheers

• amts
    10 years ago

I owned an ASKO washer 5-6 years ago and LOVED it.
    I am in the process of getting a stack set. Very good info that Co was sold. Thank You.
    I found that there was a learning curve with ASKO as well.
    It is the only front load brand I found that did not have that irritating wide band of rubber that mildews, catches paperclips, collects stains and smells....

• sandy1616
    10 years ago

I have 2 Asko sets. The oldest is 13 now and running beautifully. We did replace a drain pump for under $100. I love them! They clean beautifully. I have an Asko drying cabinet as well that I use for everything but bedding and towels. Both washers have max spin of 1600 and were built in Sweden. The washer/dryers vary in spin speeds, drying programs, etc. As for being failure prone, I've had no issues with reasonable use.