Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenfumbers4fowbers

Bosch Nexxt 500 pair, w/floodsaver pan on platform, 2nd floor

I've been reading this forum for a few months now.

Here's my plan.

I've ordered from Lowe's a Bosch 500 series pair. I've ordered from Floodsaver.com their large surround with a drainless pan.

I am considering building a platform to raise the machines between 8 and 10 inches. The actual height depends on the nominal sizes of the wood to build it. (Hubby is 6' tall, I'm 5' 6", so not too concerned about not being able to reach the top or read the display.)

The laundry area will be in the upstairs hallway of my cape, against the knee wall at the front of the house. The floodsaver pan and surround will be mounted on the platform, and we'll install a drain which is required by code to just exit, rather than going into a the main drain via a trap.

Would someone with this Bosch set, please measure the width and depth of the washer, at a point 3-4 inches above the floor, for me, so I can confirm it will actually fit in the 3" deep pan OK?

The house is solid enough. It was built in 1987 and was not a shoddy construction. I've been told by some folks "don't put front loaders upstairs at all," and by others to go ahead but just [insert their pet sound-proofing idea here]. I've got a wealth of ideas provided, but here's what I think makes the most sense out of all that have been offered.

The platform is to raise the machine openings so I don't have to "grovel in front of the washer." I can't use the manufacturer's pedestals with the floodsaver pan because the drawers won't open. And besides, the Bosch drawers are so shallow as to be pretty worthless anyway.

Base of platform to be 1" plywood. Structure of it to be "overengineered" with 2x6 or 2x8 joists, and the base screwed up into the platform's own joists and down into the actual joists below the subfloor in the house. The top surface to be 1" plywood, again, screwed into the platform's own joists. Stuff the whole thing with insulation to reduce some of the sound amplification.

The floodsaver gets fastened down to the surface it's mounted on by the edge flanges. I'm wondering just how hard this installation will be for the Lowe's guys?

The floodsaver's inside width is approximately 27.50" and the front to back inside measurement is approximately 32.00" Will we be able to reach the leveling feet?

Shoot holes in these ideas if there are holes to be shot. And if you have better suggestions, bring them on!

Thanks!

Paula

Here is a link that might be useful: FloodSaver 3

Comments (30)

• wblynch
    17 years ago

Sorry no one has answered your question. As our laundry machines are in the garage I have no experience with an upstairs installation.

But I can offer to measure the washer as you requested and will post those measurements later tonight.

I would think, though, that you could level and adjust the feet and lock them down with the machine on top of the platform and then take it down, put the flood pan in there and then put the washer back. It shouldn't affect the levelling since the pan is probably pretty consistent in thickness.

You might have to make a minor adjustment when you get it back in the pan to get all the feet down solid and ensure there is no rocking. I would make the final adjustments on the front feet since they will be more accessible.

Also be advised that the washer weighs 200-235 pounds. Getting it in and out of that floodsaver pan will take a few very strong people.

• mom4_2much2do
    17 years ago

I'm sorry i didn't get a chance to measure the new '05 Bosch 6400 (Premium model)set i sent back to the store today! Washer was found to be leaking when installed, so i never got to wash in it. It was gone before i could help you out....

i will tell you it was beautiful in the house, i really liked it. For the thirty seconds the washer was on, it was very quiet. I did use the new dryer for one day, to dry a whole week's worth i had washed at the laudromat, the door design works out, it wasn't at all difficult to reach items, so the washer should be easy to load and unload.

The dryer seemed so much hotter with less cool down at the end, i could tell i was going to have a steep learning curve to use it; but then again my old dryer was nearly dead, so the bosch may not be overly hot.

My husband really wanted the pedestals, so we ended up with them. the drawer would have been unpractical for storage, and i didn't like the higher top for folding and stacking, but the store had thrown them in for free, so there they were.

best of luck.

• wblynch
    17 years ago

Hi greenfumbers4fowbers,

I measured the washer at 28" deep at a point 3 1/2 inches above the bottom of the front plate.

I think the feet would take up an inch or so. (it's hard to tell as our machine is on the pedestals)

There is a slight "bulge" as you move up from the floor so you might be at less than 28" where it sits in the pan.

The width is about 26 3/4".

One thing to take note of, there is a round access panel on the lower right front of the washer. If the machine is in a pan, it might need to be lifted or tilted back if you ever need to open that access panel.

-Bill

• greenfumbers4fowbers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bill,
    The pan will be a permanent installation (plumbed for emergency routing of water to the outside world), so by the time the washer is delivered, that pan better already be there fastened down! However, your idea has merit, and when we build the platform, we'll go nutty making sure it's fully level in all directions. Then I'll just have them level the washer sitting in the dryer's spot, then into the pan it goes. Thanks for the measurements, it sounds like it will fit OK. Do you know what is behind the access door?

mom4,

So sorry to hear you had to send the machine back! Are you replacing with the same product? Since you mention not liking the additional height for folding, do you mind my asking how tall you are? I'm 5' 6" and I still have time to ditch the platform part of this plan. I was thinking that I didn't want to be groveling on the floor in front of the washer when I designed the 8 - 10 inch platform. (It also makes it easier to plumb the drain for the pan.) But if it makes the top "not a folding area" I may need to rethink (and quickly before carpenter guy comes and builds it! Why am I always still designing/refining when I should be committing and moving onward?)

Paula

• wblynch
    17 years ago

Paula,

Behind the access door, I believe, is a pump and some kind of filter or catch to keep socks and coins out of the pump. It may need occasional access. (once every couple of years?)

Our set is on the 8" pedestals.

I built a folding table over the machines and it is about 47" above the floor. I'm 5'6" and Jane is 5'0". The folding surface is a bit high, even for me. Jane can use it but it's not too convenient for her. I need to find a 6" footstool to make it easier.

Since you're building your own platform you might want to consider making it 4" or 6" high. That would make laundry transfer easier on the back and still make the folding table practical.

-Bill

• dmlove
    17 years ago

Green, did you ever end up building this platform? We're considering doing the same with the Nexxt 500 series) and wonder how it's working out (if well, I would appreciate you describing how you constructed your platform; if not well, I'd certain like to know that too!!)

• wblynch
    17 years ago

By the way, the access panel in the lower front of the machine is a round "plate" that comes out by sticking a nail in the little hole to unlock it and turning the plate.

It is not hinged so it would be easy to remove for access if the washer were to be sitting in a catch pan.

• tecnopolis
    17 years ago

I think the drain pan is a little overkill. If you were going with a conventional top-loader that was filled with 40+ gallons of water I could see justifying it. With the little water that front loaders use (+/- 5gal.) at any one time, you would be able to mop that up in the unlikely event it should spring a leak.
    You have a better chance of a hose springing a leak, which the pans won't address. Use Stainless steel braided water supply hoses, and that worry becomes negligible.
    Just my 2 cents.
    -Alex

• greenfumbers4fowbers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

DM... I move very slowly, lately, but yes, I'm in the middle of building it now. I diddled and dawdled about figuring out dimensions, etc for a while, but ultimately worked with the natural dimensions of lumber and a 60" width. Base is 3/4 plywood, as is the top. The structural parts are 2x6. I used decking screws to construct it. It's so solid it will outlast the rest of the house! I'll figure out how to get some pictures put up somewhere (someone give me a clue, I don't have an account on any of these sites for posting images, yet.)

I agree with technopolis that the pan is overkill, but I have had enough dumb things go wrong in my life that I'm not taking chances with this, on my second floor, in a carpeted hallway above the leather sofas in the living room. You're probably right, I'd be able to mop up whatever a front loader might dump, but I'd have to be there, and I have a habit of starting a load of wash on my way to the office, and putting it in the dryer on my return home.

The pan I'm using will handle the problem if the hoses spring a leak, too, because it's got a back wall with 3 inch shrouding to direct any leaking fom the spigots into the pan (see Floodsaver.com)

My local building department guy, while not saying the pan was required, did strongly recommend it. He has had the unpleasant experience of having a leak in an upstairs laundry room. Wasn't pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floodsaver Washing machine surround

• dmlove
    17 years ago

Thanks Green! I can coach you on posting a photo if you want to open a photobucket account. Open the account, upload the photo, probably resize it (50% is usually good), the right click and copy the "Tag" line and paste right into this message box (not in the boxes for URL links). The picture will show up here.

• greenfumbers4fowbers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's a couple pictures of the project underway. The wall behind the washer and dryer is towards the front of the house, on the second floor of a cape with no dormers in the front (ie, against the knee wall).

Paula

here's a couple pictures:
    This one is the framed box, screwed down to the floor with the lid of the box on top, leaning up against the wall studs.

This one is with the top in place and the floodsaver pan sitting in position, waiting to be installed.
    {{!gwi}}

• greenfumbers4fowbers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

woops... here's the other picture

• just_chris
    17 years ago

Well - I'm now inspired to build! Nice work Green! Of course mine will have to be retro-fitted into our existing laundry but I guess that's better than nothing.

nice work!

• just_chris
    17 years ago

BTW - you may want to through a few coats of a good industrial enamel on the top piece of plywood. Water spills over time can warp the plywood.

2 cts.

• just_chris
    17 years ago

Okay - "throw" - not "through"...oops!

• greenfumbers4fowbers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

After the pan is installed, I plan to put down some sheet vinyl flooring on it, actually. I haven't made any progress since these pics were taken, but my plumber came and installed my new tub /shower in the bathroom remodel which has been underway since Spring (told you I move slow!) The laundry area was actually an afterthought!

• just_chris
    17 years ago

At least you have a plan!

• siamese3
    17 years ago

Hi. I have the Bosch 500 pair installed in a 2nd floor laundry room. New construction, ceramic floor. The washer is in a regular drain pan that was installed buy the builder. It fits fine. I had a vibration problem (lowes installation) but once my husband leveled the machine everything has been fine. I am very happy with these machines.

• just_chris
    17 years ago

Green - I hacked and hammered my way to a nice platform installation this weekend and the results are very encouraging. We washed some heavy loads and the machine and the floor were both in great shape. Both doing the jobs they were designed to do. It was nice to not have our dishes on the first floor walking around the cabinets.

Thanks for the design ideas!

• greenfumbers4fowbers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My friendly neighborhood plumber came the other day, and installed the drain. I thought I'd made it really clear that I need to screw down the top sheet of plywood before he connected everything. Well, no, he didn't interpret my predrilled holes all aligned over every beam inside and around the edges to mean "she wants to make danged sure nothing moves," so take the screws and the power screw driver left strategically nearby and do it. Nope. He layed the plywood back in position after installing the portions of the drain and pipe that go inside the platform... then layed the pan in place and attached the drain. When I called, he said "it should be fine if you just screw down the left, right and front and as much of the back edge as you can reach (ie, the section where the dryer goes). After I became apoplectic for about 5 seconds, I said "totally my fault for not communicating the intention, but this is designed in such a way that I must insist on being able to assemble it as I planned. Please come remove the drain so I can fasten it down," which he agreed to, even though he thinks I'm a nut.

So... please post pictures of yours?

• just_chris
    17 years ago

I did not take photos (dumb), but I did not use the pan i had previously used. I figured - not much water to catch.

Anyway - I put down a 3/4"sheet cut to size, installed 2 x 6" joists placed where I new they would need to be, nailed them down, then installed another 3/4" sheet of plywood on top. Painted and set up the twin -B's (W/D). Smooth as silk so far. I did have to leave a rahter large cut out for the dryer vent which builder installed very low in the wall - no worries so far.

Perhaps I can take some snap shots and post a link later.

Good luck and keep you thumb on those contractors.

• greenfumbers4fowbers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Progress is being made. The platform is built, the pan is installed, the lines are all in, the rough plumbing inspection is passed (there's an adjacent bathroom that was the start of this whole mess). This afternoon, insulation is being installed, and Saturday after tomorrow's insulation inspection, the sheet rocker will come. I had wanted to try my hand at all these things, but I have company coming to stay the week between Christmas and New Year's and I'm on a big project at work, so there simply isn't any more time. However, because I forgot to commit to my electrician friend (doing favor for me), he now can't come do the finish electrical until the 1st weekend in January. So I have to call Lowe's AGAIN and delay delivery of my Bosch set another 4 to 5 weeks. (And I paid cash, too, so it's a free loan to them. I'm so annoyed about that, but it's my own fault for being my own GC without knowing a thing about how to schedule the work!) Still everything EXCEPT electrical (install outlets, switches, light fixtures and connect the washer and dryer lines to the circuit box) will be finished. I can wait. The final result will still be sweet, even if it's late! And the in-laws aren't coming to see my new washer and dryer, they reminded me!

• guvnah
    17 years ago

Hi - Just got our pair of Bosch delivered last Friday (happy with the machines so far - don't get me started on the Lowes installation people.....) but thought you'd be interested in the platform we made. Their's seemed too small & inefficient to do anything. My husband made me one that holds 3 laundry baskets for sorting + it gets the machines up to easy loading / unloading level. I am 5'1" and can still see the controls on top. No problem with vibration.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• greenfumbers4fowbers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Guvnah, nice work! I agree with your assessment of the Bosch drawers.

Please tell us about the Lowes installation experience - did they not want to put them up there on your platform? They are really gonna love getting my washer into the pan. I think when the area is ready, I might print some pictures and go in and visit with the install crew chief.

I'm glad to hear that you have no vibration problems. Your platform is much less of a "construction" than mine, so if yours are quiet, I am hoping I can assume mine will be, too.

I'm making progress, again. All the sheetrock and rough plumbing and electrical are done for both this laundry area and the bathroom project that was the start of it all. I have selected laminated flooring for the hallway, to replace nasty carpeting, the cabinetry has arrived and is waiting to be installed. (I have two 18" wide tall pantry cabinets, and a 30" sink base. The pantry cabinets will have behind the tall lower doors, two slideout hampers each for laundry sorting. Laundry products and the iron and ironing supplies will go behind the upper doors.)

The platform is being tiled. I'd originally wanted to put the laminate on that, too, but there are too many narrow places around the FloodSaver pan, that would have been difficult to fit that stuff into. It's almost all done. By February 1st I should be doing laundry upstairs.

• guvnah
    17 years ago

Lowes. OK - they brought the units out, put them on the platform we made, we assumed they did what they're suppposed to do & left. We didn't stand there watching because we'd just moved into the house & had plenty to do elsewhere and, hey, how hard can it be? Later that day - excited to see the "bubble show" through that big, beautiful window - I attempted a load. NOTHING. Not to panic - it just was not plugged in. Also, while my husband had it pulled out to plug in, he found that the dryer vent was not attached to the dryer - the wall, yes - not the back of the dryer. Turns out there is sort of a "cone" where you attach to & the hose slid off. (Not sure how he fixed that) It's at this point that we realize that they did not leave us a manual for the washer. We call & they say they'll get us one. In the meantime, we go online to find out what else needs to be done - like LEVELING. My husband does that and finally we're good to go. The story is a lot longer because we have a BIG mix-up with the refrigerator but at some point in there we get the manual - but not before I have to call the store manager a couple of times with questions about error messages (we had a problem with some sediment causing E02 errors - now fixed) for him to look up. SO - in the end, we love the machines, Lowes tried their best to make things right - it was just a series of freaky problems that weren't their fault - and we are happy customers. OH - the platform works like a charm - no vibrations & the additional height is great! Good luck with yours - great design!

• greenfumbers4fowbers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So they didn't have a hard time getting them up on the platform for you, guvnah? I'm glad that your Lowe's story wasn't about a complete botch of the installation. (Would that be a Bosch-botch?) I have a feeling they are going to hate me, because the pan being set into a corner like it is will make this a difficult lift. But they only have to do it once, if they do it right the first time.

I'm very excited. My maple cabinetry went in yesterday, and my beautiful laminate flooring went in today and the platform is tiled (grouting not done yet, but the tiles are mortared in place. I can't believe that I can't wait to... do laundry! I have simply got to get a life, huh?

The bathroom will be finished real soon, too. It will be almost like having a completely new house!

• guvnah
    17 years ago

Taking a picture to whoever is going to do the install is a great idea. I would stand there & make sure that they level & lock the legs on the unit. This is very important for vibration. All 4 legs need to make good contact & be level. You do this from the bottom & they may have to take it in & out a few times since you're sitting it in a pan. It was difficult for my husband to do on the platform & I can only assume that's why they didn't do it and peeled out in the Lowes truck as soon as they escaped the laundry room....haha! Be sure to post pictures when you're done!

• greenfumbers4fowbers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, at long last... I'm back with "nearly finished" pictures! I do have a slight vibration problem, because, as it turns out, the position of the washer and dryer are right smack in the middle of the span of the floor joists. There was simply no other way to do this 2nd floor laundry. I've ordered, and received, a set of ShakeAway pads for front load washers from Kellett Enterprises. This weekend, when I have an assistant available, I'll install them under the washer. I had to have the Lowes team out twice to get the machine properly leveled.

One concern... they tipped the washer nearly 45 degrees forward, and then back in order to reach the feet. There were exceedingly gentle about doing it, but I wonder now whether that's what's causing my vibration experience. Even with this situation, I'm otherwise completely ecstatic about my laundry area and about these machines.

• wblynch
    17 years ago

Beautiful laundry room !

• guvnah
    17 years ago

WOW! That looks great! Love the sorting area. Again, WOW!