Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheenalee_gw

Samsung Washer - Water ALWAYS Hot?

sheenalee
12 years ago

Hi - I'm, new here!

We just bought a new front-loading Samsung Washer and Dryer set, and I've found that no matter what heat setting I choose for the water, the clothes always come out hot.

We thought maybe the guy had forgotten to turn on the cold water valve, but we checked that to be sure, and everything seems fine. I also tried to wash the clothes on Warm/Warm to see if they were any cooler when they came out, and they weren't - they were still steaming hot.

I decided tonight to stop the washer after a few minutes and feel if the water was actually hot or maybe just got hot during the spin (lame I know, but I'm out of ideas!)

Anyone else experience this? I don't care so much for my whites but I don't want my darks and colors to fade.

Thanks!

Sheena

Comments (46)

• dadoes
    12 years ago

Very well could be that the hot and cold water hoses are connected to the machine in reverse.ÃÂ Not unusual that a delivery/install crew gets them backward, some machines are opposite from the "usual" and they don't check the labeling on the hose ports.

Run a Quick cycle with the temp set to Cold/Cold, pause it when the final spin begins, check if the drum feels hot.

• sheenalee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I actually put it on Hot/Cold and paused it after a couple minutes, and the wash water was cold. We're calling the guy back to come and fix it!

Thanks! :)

• dadoes
    12 years ago

You can swap the hoses yourself in much less time than waiting for someone else. :-)

• asolo
    12 years ago

Listen to dadoes, please.

If you want to ball the people out with a phone call, by all means do that. They deserve it.

On the other hand, calling them in to switch hoses for you is on a par with calling an electrician to change a light bulb. Don't be silly about this.

If you are disabled in some way, please disregard.

• nalaxu
    9 years ago

My Samsung front loader just started to do this after 4 years. Laundry set to cold, has always been cold, and came out steaming hot.

• Jennifer
    9 years ago

nalaxu, if your washer just started doing this, it might be a bad part, such as a temperature switch or water inlet valve. Read reasons why a
    washer has no hot or cold water

• kdla
    7 years ago

Ours is doing the same after a few years of owning the washing machine, and it working well. I'm looking for a solution online...did you find a quick solution to this or did you require a service call?

• Shelly Hall
    6 years ago

I'm having the same problem so I turned off the hot water so the machine only gets cold water.....and MY CLOTHES STILL COME OUT HOT REALLY FRUSTRATING.I called Samsung and they are useless

• r r
    6 years ago

I'm having the exact same problem. Can only wash my whites because the machine only uses hot water. So annoyed. This is a new front load Samsung.

• littlegreeny
    6 years ago

Sounds like the built in heater is stuck "on". I'd get warranty service.

• Stephanie
    5 years ago

I am having the exact problem with my top loader that is less than 4 years old, called into Samsung, warranty is only good for 24 months. To replace the defective part is over 200-. Last time I purchase a samsung.

• wbgl
    5 years ago

Yes!! I just realized that my Samsung is adding extremely hot water to my cold water cycle. I added a piece of clothing after the cycle had started and hot water dripped on my hand. I had put the wash cycle on cold so there should not have been any hot water during this wash cycle. I don't know how long it has been doing this since I don't normally add clothing after the washer has started. This is DEFINITELY THE LAST SAMSUNG WASHER/DRYER I WILL EVER PURCHASE!!!!! I have already dealt with the recall issue and now this. It is past the warranty so I am sure I am stuck with trying to figure out a way to use the machine and not shrink my clothes.

• wbgl
    5 years ago

BTW, my hoses are NOT reversed. When I changed the wash cycle to Delicates and chose cold water, it actually ran cold water. There is something else wrong with my machine!

• dadoes
    5 years ago

"Changed the wash cycle to Delicates and chose cold water ..."

What cycle and options were initially selected?

• wbgl
    5 years ago

Had been using the Active Wear cycle and changing the water temp to cold.

• Stephanie
    5 years ago

I checked every cycle to see if it was working, i could get a full cycle on normal if i put it on hot (for cold) I went back and forth with the repair man, when he came out the bill just kept increasing. I paid him his 80.00 and I decided to just replace the washer. After research LG had the best credibility. Everyone I spoke to has had their LG washer and dryers for over 10 years. I just replaced the washer, but now it seems my 2 year old Samsung dryer is not wanting to dry correctly. I will say I am very happy with my new washer. It removed stains that my Samsung couldn't.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

wbgl

I can't confirm anything about any given brand/model ... programming often changes from one to another, and even on a specific model during the run of production. Consider that since your Delicate/cold apparently runs only cold water, perhaps the Active Wear cycle is purposely adding some hot or warm water to better deal with sweaty/odorous garments.

I don't wash anything in tap-cold (only for rinsing) ... cool wash at the minimum, 80°F to 85°F, and very little of that.

• R M
    5 years ago

What is the part that needs to be replaced to fix boiling hot water issue?

• helifella
    5 years ago

As reluctant as I am to comment on an eight year old question, these excerpts from my Samsung washing machine user guide do explain why you'll never get truly cold water (unless the cold water that comes out of your faucet is normally over 59 degrees):

"While your washer is filling, you may notice just hot and/or just cold water going through the dispenser when you have selected cold or warm wash temperatures. This is a normal function of the automatic temperature control feature as your washer determines the temperature of the water."

Also "You must connect the hot water supply hose because hot water is supplied by the Auto Temperature Control (A.T.C.) function if the temperature of the cold water is lower than 59°F."

It wouldn't explain why clothes are coming out proper hot after a cold wash though (unless you set it to use steam on a cold wash, which would be counter intuitive).

• Lyn
    4 years ago

When one chooses a cold or cool water cycle, hot water shouldn't come out all by itself. It could wreck delicate fabrics. I'm having this same problem with my Samsung top loading washer. It doesn't seem to utilize the cold water hose at all!

• angelaleabond
    4 years ago

having the same problem with my brand new Samsung washer. All Hot All The Time. will try to go through the warranty process to get it fixed but sounds like I should just trade it in for an LG. loved.our old LG but we moved and left it.

• lascatx
    4 years ago

My LG just died and I was looking at a Samsung -- I could get a set with steam for the same price as LG without steam -- but as soon as the Samsung ruins clothes, the LG will be cheaper. I was hoping to get to the end of this and see they were no longer having issues, but if it is still happening after 2 years, I think I will pass.

• Razzo 253
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Have a Samsung washer and dryer and experiencing the same thing looked into it and Samsung’s washers Have an internal heater and they will automatically heat your water from 60to 85° when placed on cold. Even if you unhook your hot water line your water will still be hot no matter what. Supposedly there’s a way to override it but you’ll void your warranty if you do so

• HU-954569078
    4 years ago

We have a Samsung top loader, date on it is 07/14 !, It’s putting out hot water in the delicate cycle and is really pissing my wife off!!!!! Very frustrating for only having it for going on 6 yrs that this would be happening! The feedback I’m seeing, sounds like Samsung should make it right! Can’t afford to ruining clothes! Will never buy Samsung products again!

• HU-860797399
    4 years ago

We have a Samsung front loader and we face the same issue - uses steaming hot water in warm, eco warm & cold temperature mode and in any selected cycle. Our washer is almost 3 years old and we have been facing this issue for the past one year. I tried every other ways to fix but couldn't. I usually wash my colorful traditional Indian delicate clothes in cold or delicate, now, I've been washing using my hands for the last one year, frustrating. Previously, we had GE and it lasted for about 10 years.

Samsung, are you reading our comments? We all have the same issue and you need to answer! Would never buy or recommend Samsung to anyone.

• Tom Purdy
    3 years ago

Ours is barely a year old and gets VERY hot on ant temp and any cycle. Samsung was no help. A BIG waste of money!

• Troy Allan
    3 years ago

I have a WF45R6100A since January 2020 & I can never get cold water. I have checked hoses & changed cycle options & always finishes hot!

• dadoes
    3 years ago

@Troy Allan ... try swapping the hoses at the connection ports on the washer or at the faucets, whichever is easiest access, to see what's the effect.

Run a Heavy Duty cycle at the standard options. Pause the machine several minutes into the wash period to check the temperature, it should be reasonably toward hot. Should be cold (or cooler) at the end after the last rinse.

Run a Delicate cycle at the standard options. The wash and rinses should be cold or reasonably so.

• HU-712506693
    3 years ago

I have a samsung washer delivered on Nov 11, 2020. I noticed everything was hot when I put it in the dryer regardless of the setting. Jut ignored it because I just moved in and don't need to wash but about every two weeks. When address it when I had time. Wish I had googled the information I just read. Today, I washed one bathroom mat on delicate with cold water. The machine stopped with an error code which I could not understand and the closes I good get was the water was to hot for the item being washed. Didn't know that the machine was that smart. Machine was locked. Called Samsung and they walked me through draining the machine. Unfortunately, I am 79 and not sure how to do all this and only a bit of water was coming out the filter which I could catch. The small hose I could not get the cap off. Phone representative worked with me for an hour or so until I turned the filter part a bit too much and about 4 gallons of water came gushing out all over the laundry room floor. An service person is supposed to call me and come out. Hopefully they will, however, I will be returning this item to the store. I am too old to have problem with a washer. I only go the front load washer because it is hard for me to reach to the bottom of the top load. Hope you are never under 5 foot tall and that you never get old. thanks for reading this. MB TX

• Bonnie Rueber
    3 years ago

I see a lot of people have this problem. its not the hoses/connections but has anyone actually FIXED this / know what is messing up? on cold setting the water is scalding hot. this is not a case of wrong hose or a little automatic temperature optimization. this is an error that didn't used to happen. but I need to know what the cause is / what needs fixed so I can decide whether to fix it or replace it.

• HU-653158081
    3 years ago

My washing machine is doing the opposite i wash my whites 90 degrees but the cycle is cold, and tge white stuff come out off. Anyone with this issue

• Janet Lockaby
    3 years ago

Thank you for posting that was the exact thing necessary to get tap cold only to pump out.and after reading this I notice black writing under the cold setting that does say tap cold. Your my hero, lol.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

Just to be clear, the machine doesn't "pump" in the water. Line pressure from your city mains or water well system pushes the water in. The mechanical pump on a washing machine is to drain water out of the tub, not fill water into it.

• Lynda Kasparek
    2 years ago

It’s the steam function on the machine that creates the heat at the end of the cycle there isn’t a way to turn it off as far as we can tell

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Steam is an option on washers that have it and doesn't run on all the cycles. Steam engages only if 1) a cycle is selected that is programmed to always run the steam function, or 2) if Steam is selected as an option for a cycle that doesn't otherwise run it..

• Lynda Kasparek
    2 years ago

ours ALWAYS has the steam on regardless of whether or not we pick just cold water, or what type of cycle (ours doesnt have eco cold just eco warm) when we first got it my husband called the store (HomeDepot) and they told him it was a function that had to be turned off manually - something that was more difficult than a general user could do.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

@Lynda Kasparek, please cite the model number of the machine of question.

• nalaxu
    2 years ago

Mine quit doing the hot water every time I used my washer until recently. It started with the hot water again. I remember cleaning my filter last time and that is all that I did. Sadly, I hadn't been cleaning the filter at the bottom of the machine, so I did that again today. It seems as though my machine is now washing with cold water again. I think the dirty filter must trigger the machine to heat the water as the machine was kind of steamy. I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but it seems to be working for me. The filter is supposed to be cleaned every couple of months. By my last post it has been closer to 6 years. The machine was 4 years old when it started washing with hot water on cold cycle.

• dadoes
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

There absolutely no relation between the pump/drain filter and water temperature or heating. Your situation is coincidental.

• Criss Morrison
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I had the same problem with my new washer. i am far from a handymany and couldnt get Home Depot to do anything. After looking closely, i saw that the lines were crossed. i simply swapped sides and it works properly now. Delivery guys dont care, they just just throw it together and go to the next deliver.

• Criss Morrison
    2 years ago

PS. I HATE Home Depot and Lowes!

• HU-867511695
    2 years ago

Experienced same problem. NOT HAPPY WITH SAMSUNG It’s been less than a year since we bought top loading active jet washing machine. We placed an order so the unit would come before we moved in, but I wish I did not rush and did more research on reviews. 1. It did not come with manual and the washing machine we bought is WA50R5400AW Without manual, without internet start up in new home, could not print manual. It was inconvenient. Why would this big company like Samsung not send paper

manual?? Although I can start the

machine without the manual, I wanted to

read it so I can figure out how all settings work and why i am having hot/ cold water issuues.

1. No matter what setting I chose, I have similar issues with hot/ cold/ warm water. On permanent wash, it used to take hot water on level 3 which supposed to be warm water, but it started with cold and stayed cold.. but one day suddenly it started hot water after initially filling in cold water. By the time I realized, it was half way filled So I tried to change the settings to 2 from 3, so rest of the water would not be too hot. 👎🏼👎🏼 But, The machine drained all of water and soap since I changed the settings. It does not allow you to reset temps, water level or the cycle. The machine was filled almost 3/4 or more and lost all of the water and soap. And, I ended up restartimg , added more soap and refilled again.. 👎🏼👎🏼 Big disappointment since you can’t change the settings or reset once you select the cycle and start. I wish I had bought simple washing machine one like we had at my rental place. For above issues of hot, warm and cold water, Samsung sent technicians, but they could not figure out eituer. So they called technical support and they said that some settings are factory setting and we can not change temps. however manual says yiu can change .

so here i have no resolution.

cant wash in just hot, warm or cold whn i need to.

They said you can’t change the settings in some cycles, however digital manual

says you can change the settings, and so the rep on phone explained the same. I wish I did not buy Samsung. Would stay away and do not recommend anyone Samsung.

• Erin Yamaoka
    last year

Deselecting any temperature setting worked for me. Thanks so much @Cliff Harris for posting a solution!

• Wendy Davis
    6 months ago

I bought a Samsung top loader 3 months ago and I am having the same issue that I see people had 11 years ago peoplpeople. Nothing but hot water! Yes of course I have checked hoses and temperatures and done all the sensible things. My clothes are coming out wrinkled and everything is steaming hot. Is there no solution?

• dadoes
    6 months ago

Swap the position of the water supply hoses on the machine, even if they appear to be correct, to see if that solves the problem.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm