Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help w NEMA # for Standard Kenmore Dryer Plug!!!??

Posted by kawh707 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 19:41

We are having an outlet installed for our new kenmore dryer model 81272.

Both electricians who gave bids told us that they need the nema# for the plug in order to install the right outlet. Well... hours with sears in store, online, by phone, technicians... even someone who found the plug and box.... nobody could tell me the nema #!!!
yikes???

so... anyone out there have this (or similar) dryer who can help me with this?? i assume that they only have a few dryer extension cords... ours is part # 15000 and is listed as a 3-prong 5 foot plug. it is pictured here... with info that does not include the nema #.
http://www.sears.com/kenmore-3-prong-5%27-flat-dryer-cord-gray/p-02615000000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=02615000000&kispla=02615000000P#desc

thanks for any help!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help w NEMA # for Standard Kenmore Dryer Plug!!!??

that is a regular electric dryer it's need a 30A circuit

NEMA 14-30

since its straight 240v you technically need 2 hots and a ground

o

thanks much, acetx... can you tell me why both electricians would be so worried about this and not know this?? do you have this information because you own a kenmore, or because it's just something that's pretty obvious???
i have been so stressed at getting this information... and that nobody at sears seems to have it!!!
thanks again..
kawh707

o

there arent that many 30A recepticle options

if the electrician is installing a new circuit it makes sense to install a 4 prong

the reason they asked is because they were probably considering your existing dryer plug, but the thing is you can usually install a 3 OR 4 prong cord on an electric dryer

the power cord that you linked to looks like an older type straight blade, unless i was looking at the wrong cord

get the 4 prong for the dryer http://www.sears.com/kenmore-4-prong-5%27-round-dryer-cord-black/p-02615001000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

it's a standard 10 gauge plug 14-30p so the matching receptacle would be 14-30R

o

they probably sold us the older style plug because our house is older and they figured we would have an older outlet?

ok... i'm a little confused. is the 3-prong or the newer 4=prong you recommended the one that fits into the 14-30? this is all completely new to us.

what would the advantage be of getting a 4-prong?
thanks SO much for this info & education!

o

4 prong is newer

4 prong = 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground

many 240v appliances operate on both 120 & 240v

@ 240v you need 2 hots (120v + 120v) and a ground

@ 120v you need 120v and a neutral (return path)

it makes no sense to not install a 4 prong on a new circuit

an electric dryer can take either cord so install the 4 prong cord

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here