Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maytag dryer problem....

Posted by appdude (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 19:16

Today i threw the some clothes into the dryer, the drum was about half full being that the dryer was a 7.0Cubic feet, set it to medium heat and 50 minutes. About 10 minutes later i opened the door and i noticed the heating element in the back was on and i noticed it "glowing down" from the red. then just 15 minutes ago i opened the door again and it was still doing that. I'm starting to get the inattention that there is something wrong with the dryer. It is running while I'm writing this. it has come on the freshen up mark and i noticed once again it doing the same thing. Is this normal? if not whats wrong with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maytag dryer problem....

• Posted by georgect Fairfield County CT (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 11:00

All electric dryers use heating elements that glow redish orange when making heat.
As long as it turns off when you open the dryer door and when you physically turn the dryer off it should be OK.

It will also cycle on and off the closer it gets to drying the clothes.
When you initially start drying, the heating elements come one full power and when the temperature of the air in the drum reaches its set heat setting (High, Medium, Low), it will cycle off until the air temp. drops enough to turn it back on.
(you may hear the thermostat click on and off.)

Newer model dryers may not totally turn all the way off but instead power down the wattage enough to let the air cool a bit but keeping a warm flow of air.

If the clothes get uncomfortably hot then the thermostat may not be working correctly and not cycling on and off.

Make sure your venting is free and clear of any lint build up and the lint filter is clean.

This post was edited by georgect on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 11:07

o
RE: Maytag dryer problem....

thanks for the response, it does not over heat at all. we did clean the entire dryer out 2 months ago including the duct.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here