Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fastonetime

Need help finding a top load non he washer with an agitator

fastonetime
11 years ago

Hi all. I am selling my Electrolux iq touch for 750. I have a new baby coming and a 2 year old now and I'm just tired of the long washes of the iq touch. Literally an hour for any wash and the fast wash does not clean heavily soiled clothes well enough. So I've been looking for a new washer for about the 400-700 dollar range. I'd like an agitator and one that's not an he machine. Are there any out there. I saw a 3.4 cf whirlpool with xtra roll that has an agitator. What top load can handle sheets as well an maybe a full sized comforter. I'm just looking for one with the regular cycles of previous top loaders. But almost everything I see has no agitator and I don't want that. Also saw a ge 3.9 with an agitator. So what's my best choice?

Comments (111)

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Smells funny. Daym iphone

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Yes the Tide/bleach powder cant be beat(original scent)but for the price the Foca is really good as is the Sears, but as Dadoes said it does have a smell in the box but really none after the cycle. I agree on the Oxi. I have noticed when using it in towels and line dry them they are stiffer than when not using Oxi--at least for me.

I will have to try the Vivid pacs. Glad to know they have a good smell.

I like to use Cheer Powder for colored loads OR I have used the Tide coldwater liquid and it works very well. I have used Cheer Fit liquid a few years back but then they stopped making it. I think it actually transformed into Tide Total Care but I could be wrong.

Have you used any of the Biz pacs or the Clorox 2 pacs?

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Never used biz or Clorox. Always been a fan of Clorox 2. Just expensive for a little bit. I wanted to try the cheer or whisk but I wasn't sure how well they'd work. I use to use the total care, but I went through it so fast. Saw a new tide liquid with lasting impressions scent. But wanted to stick with the powder. Next time I run out ill try the sears brand. How much is it for the box. I think it was around 17 dollars when I saw it. How big is that box? I heard the target brand detergent is good. But I tried there liquid fabric softener and its been turning my whites a dingy blue. So I'm just using it on colors until its all gone.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

At one time, year or two ago, Wisk was #1CR pick for reg. top load machines. Yes the same time the Wisk did good,CR also rated the Up&Up really well--the liquid. It is dual formula best I remember. I have never used it myself.

Sears comes in two sizes 120 load and 180 load in the orange box. Try to watch for it for half price. Some of the Kmarts carry it. Mine doesnt but you can order OR go to Sears and tell them it is on sale at Kmart-they can check it on site and they honor price. A month or so ago Kmart had the 180 load for $9.99.

Fabric softeners: I like Downy Free but also tried Suavitel Aroma Sensations Lavender. Seems like it makes clothes less wrinkled when you get them out of the washer because I dry very few clothes I wear. That is one thing I really miss about the old top load machines is the Perm-Press cycle. They may use tons of water but the clothes were less wrinkled. I know you have to use slow spin which I do but still seems like the newer machines just wrinkle more.

Also like(so-so) Method FS Aloe/Water Lily. Smells fine if clothes dried in dryer. If hung outside they smell fishy/or possible wet dog smell and I cant take that so...

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Which machine do you have sparky? I dry usually everything in the dryer. When it gets cold here the clothes would never dry. I've used seventh generation detergent before, but the powder started to create a white build up in the machine and only the Lemi shine cleaner would get it off. But then a couple of loads later it would come back. So I stopped using it. I will check my Kmart, I thought I saw it there one time. My grandparents used the Costco stuff in the big tub, but I think it's changed or they don't carry it anymore. Because I think it's a Kirkland brand now. But I haven't been to Costco in years.

Now why did they stop putting phosphate in everything? Like cascade and other stuff. And the foca that has it, how can I tell which one and what's the benifits of it having phosphate

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Dont know why but I didnt get the pic and a couple of your responses until this morning. They were in between where we were talking--anyway--I really like the Tide bleach original scent. For me it is just a very clean smell--this is after they are finished. I do not care for the Clean Breeze at all--too sweet. Have used some 7th Gen before but it was liquid. Did ok but had to watch amount--wanted to suds a lot.

What I have now is Cheer powder, Foca powder,Tide powder he,then the softener and clorox and some Oxi Clean. I put mine in rubbermaid type bins with a snap lid and can stack them. Just works better for me--especially the Foca cause it is in a bag.Oh also have Coldwater Tide liquid he and All free/clear liquid--used to use this all time without change.

The phosphate thing is enviromental problems it causes in lakes and creeks/rivers. They stopped using it in detergents (clothes) years ago and then dishwasher detergent(unless it is commercial) back in 2010(?). The Foca will say phos. free on the back. Of course if it has it in there it will list it in ingredients and doesnt say phos free. Mine has the phos in it. Made in Mexico then sent here. I am sure that will be eventually stopped.

Sometimes it is hard to find the Tide/bleach he powder. Wal mart will be out--that is why I got the Tide HE powder last time but I like it also. It has a good smell. Dont like the pods. Tried those-did ok but not crazy about the scent(spring something).

I have a Maytag Neptune 4000 that is 12 years old. Had trouble with the door lock burning out the board about a year and a half after I got it. Maytag fixed it and extended my warranty for 6 months. Have never had another problem(knock wood). I know they really got trashed by a lot of folks that had them but I have liked mine ok. If it stopped I have no idea what I would get next. I better shut up--might jinx it. It will be fine with me if it last another 20 years. LOL

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Did the photo show yet? I will look for the foca today. We have some Mexican markets here that sell that and Ariel and the Spanish downy that smells good. The laundry mat next to me that I've had to use a few times has those maytag neptunes but the commercial ones. I swear everytime I went to use one they all smelled of mold. I swear they never clean them. So I never really used one. I use the bigger machines when I have too. I had a maytag Neptune mah9700aww when they first came out and couldn't stand it. It walked around the room during the spin cycle and also smelled of mold really fast. Bought it and the matching dryer in 06 and sold it in 09. My friend I sold it to still has them and loves them and have had no problems.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

The pics came through.They were here this morning. I have heard about the other Neptunes having issues vibrating--they were Samsung made if I remember correctly. I leave my door open so I dont have any mold or smell.Mine has never walked or anything--it has that balance ring around the tub. Now I think about all manufacturers are using that now. At one time, I read reviews where the LGs were bad for vibration. Then they went with the ballbearing ring and fixed that problem.

Maybe you can get the Foca. It is blue powder--kinda like Cheer used to be. May have bluing in it? The phosphates helps soften the water so the detergent cleans better.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes my Neptune was made by Samsung and I hated it. It started to not want to spin so at the end of the cycle the clothes would be soaking and then I'd have to re spin and wait and wait and wait. It just sucked. I didn't have another 30 minutes after the cycle was over to wait for it to figure out how to spin. Called maytag and they had sent a new board and sensor but the problem remained. My friends still have the same issue with it to date. My lux started to do the same thing and thy sent out boards and sensors and door locks and all this stuff and I just had enough that's when Chris Polk said he'd buy the machine back for 974. Basically they just bought the serial tag back. And I kept the washer to do what I wanted with it. Sold it as is and am happy with this maytag TL I have now

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay this may sound dumb but I was doing pillows and I forgot these don't have a auto balance shut off. I heard banging and went outside and the washer wa hitting the sides. So I tried to re arrange it and it still banged. I ended up throwing dry towels into the load and it was fine. I know these washers get off balance and so bang the sides. But can that cause any damage to the machine. I totally forgot about the balance issues on bigger items!

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Dadoes can tell you more than I can there, but I would think that if it went on long enough(banging) it could break something. Good thing you heard it and stopped it. I have never had any luck washing pillows in a top load. Always bunch up unless they are down. You may just have to take your pillows to the laundry and use a front load for those and maybe big comforters. That is one good positive(among others) for Speed Queen TL.They spin anything without a lot of problems.

I bet that banging got your attention! LOL

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well the first ore rinse when it spins the water out before rinse I didn't catch it. But I thought I heard something. Anyway when it was going into spin it started banging. And I adjusted and it did it again. Then I added dry towels and it was fine. Just wondering what it could damage. Buy anyway sears comes we'd to see what the squeaking noise is. The rear feet have like sunk and fallen apart and the delicate cycle wasn't advancing so I think the timers out. Hope they order the right parts this time.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Found the foca at the Mexican store and it said phosphate free. :(

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Sears been out to check your washer yet?

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes sparky, actually he just left! Good timing. He took the cabinet off to listen and everything sounded fine, no noise of corse when he checked, he did notice the water level switch was cracked where it hold Ono the faceplate. So he ordered that, also the timer was sticking at the delicates cycle and he ordered that. He also ordered two new rear feet. When he took the cabinet off I was disgusted. So much filth on the upper inside of the tub. So gross. He wiped it all down and it's clean now. Thank god that was nasty. He said the tranny and motor sounded fine and agitated just fine. When he put the cabinet back on the noise was gone. Did a few loads and the noise is not back. We're guessing the cabinet was loose or not on right creating this squeak when agitating Phew. I am relieved. New parts on the way too free of charge under my master protection warranty.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am going to try and clean my washing machine again. I bought bleach. So how many cups for this top loader and a super size load, just water? How long can I let it soak without damaging the drum My Electrolux said to use 8 cups of bleach for the cleaning cycle. And I thought that was a lot of bleach for so little water. But another sight I read said to use a quart of bleach for a top load. I'm confused.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Well, 8 cups=1/2 gallon so maybe use a gallon of bleach to the full tub of water.
    Dont think I would use any more than that.

Glad you are getting the timer and the feet. Maybe all will go well now. You will just have to stay out of the laundry room now so you won't be hearing any "off" sounds LOL....

I do understand you, when I have "new" things seems you notice every squeak or creak whether it is the washer or car. I can say, that as time goes on I get to where I care less. I never listen to mine anymore unless I just happen to go in there for some reason when it is running--but then mine is 12 years old so if it has squeaks I guess it has earned them..!

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi sparky. I get that way to with new things. Never bought a used appliance before so it just had me thinking of the past history. And how it was take care of. It's actually in really like new condition. Other than the nasty upper rim of he tub. Still grossed out lol. The maytag dealer had two maytag Atlantis used and they were nice but looked older. They had a bigger tub that mine does. But the look of mine looks new, newer, still shiny? Lol.

8 cups of bleach seems a lot for a front loader. I only used 4 1/2 in the maytag today. I added the 4 cups. Then filled it up just to where the fins on the agitator start, then I let it sit for 10 minutes. Then I selected he medium sized load and let that sit 10 minutes. Then selected the large load and let that sit 10 minutes. Then finally filled and had it agitate on the delicate cycle, restarting it twice so it agitated for 10 minutes. The drains and rinsed twice. Hope that killed whatever junk was hiding. Saw the tide washing machine cleaner at CVS for 9.99 and I was like screw that. I'd rather buy a bottle of Clorox for 1.79 and get a better depper clean. Tried to find the Clorox washing machine cleaner, but couldn't. Researched what the Clorox washing machine cleaner was made of and had the exact same chemicals as the Clorox bleach, what's up with that? So I called the CLR place and sled about CLR in a washing machine. They said that the recommend 1/2 cup to the washer, but no more than 1 cup. She said because it can "change" the finish of the drum. She didn't really answer me when I asks how long I can soak it for in the machine. I know with Lemi shine you can soak it in the machine for 4 hours, but every time I use Lemi shine In the dishwasher the damn racks start the rust. It seems to harsh to let sit. I don't know what to use anymore. I'd like to take the tub out as deep clean it wih a brush, but i don't want to tear into the machine like that just yet!

• sparky823
    11 years ago

I am not a fan of Lemi-Shine. Really think it has to do more with my water than anything. I tried it way back in the DW in the cup with the detergent--back when they first stopped the phosphate thing. Left my stainless interior dull(odd) and the dishes felt rough. I didnt use it but maybe twice and decided that wasnt for me. I have well water and it is med/soft so guess I didnt need it to start with.

The bleach should have all the gunk killed in yours even if it isnt all rinsed out yet. I dont know that I would undertake removing the tub to get the gunk out. If I did that chances would be real good I would no longer have a gunky machine--probably have to buy a new one from goofin up the other one. LOL But that is me! I wouldnt worry about it if it isnt stinking. If it stinks have Sears clean it out. I have read that Whirlout will cut all that out of front loaders but I have never tried it. Made by the folks that make the Washer Magic but used for hot tubs. At one time LG was telling people to use it to clean the tub out. That might be worth a try for yours. Also Smelly Washer--read where it causes the build up to turn loose and wash away.(after a soak period)

You ever add any Borax or washing soda or baking soda to your detergent?

Think you did best by not getting the Atlantis. Have heard they could be trouble prone. Built on the Norge platform best I remember. You needed and "old timey" Maytag. HA Seems they run forever.

What kind did you grow up with or do you remember?(brand)

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I actually don't remember what machines they were. My grandparents had them. I remember they were dark brown and then years later they got almond colored ones. But I can't remember the brand at all! We had a kenmore when I was a teen growing up with my mom. But I remember it always having to be fixed because it would leak from the pump or something. When my mom passed I gave them away and bought the maytag neptunes mah9700aww. First front load I ever owned. I loved it but it started having problems, like everything I own. Lol. They had a recall because the main control board was catching fire or something. Called for the recall and all they gave was a gfc I think it's called that, to plug into the wall and the washer into that. They at the time had the new boards but refused to put a new one in because the gfc would "fix" the problem. What a lie. It only prevented it, didn't fix anything. Then I sold them in 09 and bought the maytag performance series washer and dryer. The top of the line ones. I think the 9000 series if I'm right? Well the glass door fell off the washer one day and shattered. It didn't want to spin ever. Steam stopped working twice in 3 months of owner ship. Called maytag executives and they only offered me 40% off a new maytag washer and dryer set. I said screw that because I just paid 1000 each less than three months ago. So I sold them as is a few moths later in 09 and I bought the kenmore elite FL. I think the 42192. Was a BIG improvement over the maytags. Only lasted a year and a half and was mde by LG. the tub/ spider broke and sears had ordered parts under the master protection warranty. The parts came broke. The tub and outer tub. So I called sears executives and they offered me a replacement of my choice up too 1600 dollars. So that's when I got the Electrolux last Christmas. Till it started to not spin and its boards kept taking out other boards and Electrolux exchanged the unit two times. Then said they were sending me machines with known problems. What a joke. So Chris Polk said he'd buy the machine back for 974. So I took it. Like I said he basically bought the serial tag. So I could do what I wanted with the washer, all warranties voided. I sold as is for 750. So altogether I got 1724 back. When my original sears purchase was the kenmore elite for 1200 at the time in late 09. So I actually came up on 524. So having 1724 I thought I could buy a real nice machine, right? Well I wanted that new Samsung touch screen or the whirlpool vantage. But I had to really think. I was tired of 1 hour Cycles, tired of waiting for the washers to figure out how to balance for a spin. When I would set the washer say for an hour cycle, I want it done in an hour. And the FLs time would always change and add up to 20 minutes trying to spin. And sometimes would never spin. Then the cycle turns into a 2 hr cycle. So pissed I wanted to kick, hit, punch the machines. I swear they were doing this on purpose. So I decided to look into used machines, with an agitator and a full basket of water. Best choice I've ever made! Spent 250 on this maytag and love it, plus the 1,474 and some change I go to pocket! It all worked out for me.

the sears tech says he has the exact same machine I have but the whirlpool one and he said its the best machine to have. He said any part can be replaced in under 30 minutes. Even the tranny. He said the arts are cheap and are built better than the ones of today's washers. He also went on to tell me that when the gov started this energy star crap that its created so many problems for manufactures and the machines. He said the washer I have has basically had the same design for the past 28 years until they stopped making them.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

MAH9700 Neptune was sourced from Samsung. Not the same as the "original" Neptunes MAH3000, MAH4000, MAH5500, MAH6500, and MAH7500.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Dadoes. I'm guessing by the way you put that it means the Samsung ones were junk. Now when I bought those back in 06 they were still made by maytag correct? Because the sears tech said maytag is not longer around, that in 06 whirlpool bought the name. So he said there's not " true" maytags still being made.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dadoes. To remove the lime scale or build up what's the best to use. I have another bottle of CLR. The scale is on the bottom of the plastic outer tub. I don't really want to take the tub out just yet todo it, but what can eat at it? CLR has worked for me in the bathtubs and on the scale on the glass shower doors. I was thinking of filling it with hot water on a small cycle and adding 2 cups of CLR. Problem is I don't know how long to let it soak, or is safe enough? Any ideas?

• dadoes
    11 years ago

If you're saying that you bought your MAH9700 in 2006 ... no, that model was not made by Maytag then, never was. MAH9700, MAH8700, and MAH6700 (note the 7 in the models) were made by Samsung from the get-go of introduction.

The original Neptune design, the five models I listed, were the only Neptune frontloaders designed and manufactured by Maytag. The ill-fated Neptune TL (toploader) was also a true Maytag, the last in-house (re)design they produced.

Whirlpool bought Maytag in 2006, yes. Maytag production did not cease immediately. A bit of time is required to wrap-up that kind of thing and segue the production to Whirlpool. Sometime in 2007 Maytag toploaders became Whirlpool direct-drive machines, such as the one you have now. The Maytag Epic frontloader was Whirlpool's Duet that had previously been sold under the KitchenAid Ensemble label. KitchenAid laundry was discontinued and Maytag was positioned as Whirlpool's premium brand.

MAH5500 and MAH6500 were the last Neptunes on the market, which extended into 2008, IIRC. My neighbor bought a MAH6500 from Lowe's just a few months before they disappeared. I refurbished a Neptune MDE5500 dryer in Nov 2007 that he found via FreeCycle. I think it was summer 2008 when he decided to get a matching washer before they were gone.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for that info. It was a nice design. But a bad washer.

So dadoes what do you think of a CLR soak in the tub? How much and how long is safe? Also the tub in my mtw5600 is black with white speckles. What kind of tub is that? Is it rust resistant. ?

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just tried the left over tide pods in this for the first time. I used 1 tide pod and 1 vivid boost. On a load of towels. Not a lot of suds like when I use one scoop of tide powder. So I'm wondering if I'd need two tide pods in this TL that uses a lot of water vs a FL I was using these pods in. Still like the powder for a TL like this vs liquid or the pods. Just thought I'd share the photo. Doesn't look like there's a lot of cleaning power there IMO

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot to load the photo!

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Does the water feel slick? If so I would say you probably had enough. Plus the less suds the better the rinse-Right!?

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sparky I didn't feel the water. I will next time. Took the cabinet off because the inside of the cabinet was very very dirty from previous owners. A little windex and elbo grease did the job. Didn't take before and after photos but did take one of it with out the cabinet. You've all probably see this before. But the upper rim of the tub was so nasty with black mold film. The sears tech wiped it out with tide and water, but I don't think that killed any spores. So today I hand wiped inside the rim with bleach and a rag. Also after I put it all together I got another thing of Lemi shine washing machine cleaner and let it soak for the 4 hours per directions. I actually let it sit without having to look every few seconds. There was lots of lime scale that started to float and I looked under the tub today and it looked very clean! Guess patiences pays off!

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Looks spotless!!OCD got the best of you so you had to dismantle--partly anyway! LOL

Glad you got all the mold and the CLR worked on the bottom.
    Bet it smells fresh...

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sparky your right. After I saw all that junk an mold when the cabinet was off, it just bugged me to the point where I had to clean it myself with something stronger. The CLR did work and the last soak of Lemi shine. The outer tub is now white again. I think the water valve is going out. The warm and cold water come in fast. Hot water is slow. Funny how sears will replace anything on this older machine by my word of mouth. As before with the Electrolux, I would tell them that the control panel lights wouldn't work sometimes and they told me they'd have to see into replace it. Guess with older machines they don't care?

Good for me thought because basically all the boards or electronics will be new. Really am enjoying the fast cycles. And the ease of maintenance I can basically do some of the depper cleaning myself. As with the frot loaders there's not much to be done.

Also one thing I like about this washer is it has high and low agitation for the main and regular wash cycles. Basically the agitation is fast the first half of the cycle and then automatically slows down for the rest of the cycle before the rinse. Also loving the spray rinses (two) during final spin.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Glad it is clean and you are enjoying it. I have used a Kenmore DD before but it washed the fast speed the whole wash cycle which I actually like. To me if you have many clothes in there when it is agitating slow the turnover just stops. But on theone I used you had to use the Heavy Duty to get the Fast agi. If you used Normal it agi. slow the whole wash which wasnt worth a flip I thought. JMO I also am not a fan of "neutral drain". I feel like all the filth off the clothes settles right back on top of them--there again just my ideas.

I think some of this comes from growing up with Frigidaire machines which had solid tubs, used overflow rinses and plenty of water--then slung that water out in an instant and the clothes were next to dry when they came out. If they still made those I would have one still. Think this is why I liked the Maytags because they spin the water out, plus they have a spray rinse after the wash that is 1 1/2 minutes long,(mine was)that way the rinse wasnt as soapy. Just what you get used to. There is nothing today that can compare to all the old stuff, especially the old GM Frigidaires.They outcleaned anything--of course that is my op.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Honestly I'm new to the neutral drain! I'm use to the fancy powered pumps and recirculating jets lol. I'm actually starting to question if maytag put a new tranny in or a rebuilt one. Sometimes when the washer goes to drain it spin drains. Like it doesn't neutral drain all the time. And today I went to wash a small load and forgot to put clothes in. When I came back I heard this grinding noise. Like 3 times during the empty wash. When I put clothes in the same cycle the noise went away. I tried to make the noise happen again just to see if I was hearing it right and it only happens on a small empty load. The medium empty load and large do not make that noise. Looked at the agitator cam and none of the teeth were broke. So I'm clueless. Isn't the spin drain a symptom of a bad tranny?

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Bet the noise in washing is the agitator. Its just cause it was on small and it swirls around so fast(top portion one way) makes it do the noise.

I think the ND fail is something in the trans. but from what I have read it is an easy fix--Dadoes can tell you all about that. One thing I do know about those washers, if they are draining and you open the lid--when you close the lid it causes it to go into spin right then even if the tub is full of water. If you are having timer problems it might have something to do with that. Maybe it is possible the washer skips drain and jumps to spin sometimes??

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I noticed it happens sometimes. The washer will stop washing or rinsing and then I'll hear a big click an it will go into spin drain. Then when it's done it will stop and then start to spin normal. I guess I'll have call sears back out to check. I think maytag rebuilt the tranny. Because the bottom of the gear case has some rust spots an if it was new I doubt any rust would be there. Washed another load and no grind noise. I thought it was the cams stripping or something.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

I think the agitator barrel vibrates or something from turning so fast with no pressure/resistance on it when it makes the noise. When are they supposed to replace your timer? If I had a warranty I would get them to do the trans. Surely they would just replace it with a new one.?.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi. They will be here the 26th. Sometimes that's why I hate sears repair because it takes almost 3 weeks to get the repair if needed done. Because I called them 1 week ago to come out. Then they said it would take a ten day turn around to come back out. I'm pretty sure they'd replace the tranny, but I'd have to make another service call for that.

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

So it does this?

http://youtu.be/ielZsKtlUAw

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes it does that. Exactly. Doesn't happen every load. Also happens at either first rinse or last spin. And last night the small load I had going I heard grinding like 3 times. I forgot to put clothes in and that's when I heard it. When I added clothes to that load the noise was gone. What could that of been

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Saw you were on AW.com posting the vid to the noise the washer makes. I couldnt get it (the link) to work. Well it would open but when I click to watch vid it goes to a page says cant be found? Dont know if it is my comp or something with the video? Just thought I would tell you.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi sparky. That's weird. When I click it it works. ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Washer noise

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Worked! I listened twice but I didnt hear anything out of the norm to me. Seemed pretty quiet for DD. My Aunt has a newer Kenmore DD one of the last made and that thing is really loud--much more so than the earlier models. Dont know why but it is.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Did you hear the squeak squeak. It came back. I'm wondering if the cabinet is rubbing on the frame. I don't know. Sometimes the agitation is really loud like clunk clunk clunk. But when the sears guy took the cabinet off and had it running it was quite. I think because the cabinet has no insulation that it makes the noises twice as loud. I'm just gonna leave it alone for now and just mention to sear when they come on the 26th about the neutral drain, spin drain problem and see what they say! At least it's washing and I should enjoy it. Although the water level temp has now broken completely and just turns inside the panel. So I've had to leave it on the super wash for now.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dadoes or anyone who can help. I'm trying to find when my machine was made. Dadoes sent me a tech sheet but it looks like it was for revision 0. Mine is revision 2 and I can't find the info for it. In the service tech it said the U in the serial number means it was made in 07. My serial number is CW3440856

• dadoes
    11 years ago

34th week of 2008.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Saw you are trying for a "Vintage" Maytag set. Great price and you should love them. Nothing like a TRUE Maytag.

Also if you are going to replace the tub in the DD Maytag, why not change it to stainless steel instead. Some of those machines have SS Tubs--the higher end but sure they are the same size.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi sparky. Yes I found a vintage maytag set. However they haven't emailed me back and I have no way to pick them up. About an hour away.

On the washer I have I've seen on sears parts direct they have a white tub that will fit mine. No SS. Now is the coating on the white tub thicker than the blak tub with white speckles?

• sparky823
    11 years ago

I wouldnt think so. I wouldnt change out tubs unless the machine started leaving rust on the clothes and that shouldnt happen if you will unload it soon after it stops. I would check on some more places for a SS tub. There has to be one that will fit I would think since similar models to yours had them.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

A full-white basket does have a slightly heavier final coating. All porcelain baskets have more than one layer of coating. Speckled versions are lightly-sprayed with the final white coat ... thus the speckles. It doesn't make much difference on the end result and durability, they're all susceptible to eventual rusting.

W10006327 a stainless steel basket, sourced via model MVWC6ESWW1.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ya I kind of thought that the steel tubs would rust. It hasn't been on my clothes as far as I can tell. Sears comes tomorrow to install the rear feet and timer. I'm going to have them if they will replace the tranny. It's still spin draining. Also the hot water started coming in slow. Cleaned the valve filters did not help. I'm almost done with my powder tide. So I will be buying cheer soon! How was your thanksgivings? I was stuffed and a little to drunk off the free tequila at a friends. Lol