Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help finding a top load non he washer with an agitator

Posted by fastonetime (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 19:04

Hi all. I am selling my Electrolux iq touch for 750. I have a new baby coming and a 2 year old now and I'm just tired of the long washes of the iq touch. Literally an hour for any wash and the fast wash does not clean heavily soiled clothes well enough. So I've been looking for a new washer for about the 400-700 dollar range. I'd like an agitator and one that's not an he machine. Are there any out there. I saw a 3.4 cf whirlpool with xtra roll that has an agitator. What top load can handle sheets as well an maybe a full sized comforter. I'm just looking for one with the regular cycles of previous top loaders. But almost everything I see has no agitator and I don't want that. Also saw a ge 3.9 with an agitator. So what's my best choice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help finding a top load non he washer with an agitator

For the longest lasting, best warranted and simplist to operate washer, check out the Speed Queen line at your local independent appliance dealer.

o

I recently purchased a Whirlpool - I really do like it. I just wasn't ready for a front load or a non- agitator model. My sister bought a set w/o the agitator and I'm thinking maybe I should have gotten w/o because the drum looks like it would fit way more than mine. She said she can fit her king size sheets/comforter in it and I know I'd never fit the same amount in mine.

o

Speed Queens are good machines, you may also be able to find some left over stock at some of your local appliance stores, doesn't hurt to talk to the salesman to see if they have any left over stock, and you will probably get a discount to boot.

o

Hi Jeanie. What model number is your washer. I was looking at the 4800 I think whirlpool with xtra roll action. I looked for speed queens but still out of my budget at 700. I wanted to spend now about 500 because I have to pay shipping and tax. Don't have a truck or I'd pick up a washer locally and save 100 dollars in shipping.

o

Do you have a Lowe's anywhere around you? The one's around me deliver for free and they have Whirlpool. Plus, sometimes they offer 10% off.

o

Hi I've narrowed it down to a whirlpool wtw4800 or a haier rtw350. Or an older maytag that's reconditioned at a local maytag. What do I do

o

Personally, I would get the older Maytag if it is in good shape.My Mother bought a new one in 1982 and it is still going with only one repair. It is model A810 Do you know the model# for the one you are considering?

I have read where some of the newer top loads will not fill up all the way for the rinse, only a few inches of water. Not sure if this Wpool you are looking at does this or not. Something I would check out. Dont know anything about the Haier.

o

The one I'm looking at for 299 really clean and comes from a maytag dealer with 6 months part and labor warranty is mtw5600 and maytag says they put in a brand new transmission.

o

Now the transmission would go out because of what. I haven't had a top loader like this in years. But it's very very clean and sturdy and I'm glad they were up front about putting a new transmission in it and are warranty it for 6 months. But besides that I have a sears master protection agreement that I can transfer to it when I get it.

o

Overloading is the biggest reason for transmission failures in washers. Some people stuff them so full that the clothes can't even move around. That maytag gets some pretty high reviews, for the price with warranty I would go for it.

o

MTW5600 is a Maytag manufactured by Whirlpool (after Whirlpool bought Maytag) of the Whirlpool direct-drive mechanism (motor-transmission coupler instead of a belt).

Per a parts site, it'd be MTW5600TQ0, MTW5600TQ1, or MTW5600TQ2 ... where the last number is an engineering revision code. T is the model-year, which translates to 2007.

o

Thanks guys. I actually just paid for it. With tax and installation and new hoses came to 375. Not bad. It's really clean. Looks brand new. Transferred my master protection agreement to it already. I like how it fills up all the way and also I can lift the lid while its filling and add clothes or detergent. The new whirlpool 4800 i was looking at had a locking lid and I didn't care for that. Yes it's many steps down from my 55 series fl Electrolux washer, but honesty I hated it. I started having to manually fill it with water and it stopped wanting to spin. Electrolux bought its serial number back from me for 970 and also I just sold it as is for 700 so I made a profit of 600 dollars. As it was purchased for 1000 dollars. I just wanted a traditional washer and its hard now to find one that actually fills with water and will wash in 30 minutes. The whirlpool 4800 had a wash time of an hour and I am tired of waiting for my laundry. Plus I think that when the clothes wash constantly for an hour straight they wear more. I just wanted something simple. Hope this one will last.

o
Water temps

These are the temps - if you want to know - according to the service manual.

Ultra Clean: tap hot / 100F / 70F
Normal and Casual: 110F / 93F / 70F
Delicate and Handwash: 100F / 87F / 70F
(hot / warm / cool setting)

Cold setting is just cold, as are the rinses.

HTH, Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

Thank you for that. Is this a pretty good model. Also are these washers that don't have the spring rod suspensions like newer top load washers and good. Do they balance better. I haven't had a washer like this before. I am glad the longest cycle is about 20 minutes. So I can get loads done faster. And glad it fills all the way up

o

Does anyone know of when this machine was made from year to year?

o

What exactly do you mean "year to year?"

As I mentioned above, the T in the model number indicates a market year of 2007.

The manufacture date, year and week of that year, is coded in the serial number, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th characters.

The direct-drive mechanical design was produced from approx 1981 to sometime in the last year or two.

o

Hi today I noticed the water lever knob is tougher to turn than the water level knob. Is this normal on machines like this?

o

Not sure I know what "water lever" is (since you also said water level)--I figure typo--so meant water temp(?). I have seen some machines that the water level was harder to turn,mostly when they have a set # of levels verses infinite levels. Going from say low,med,high there would be a click as it turned vs just an almost silent smooth turn when using an infinite level dial.

o

My iPhone messed up. The water level knob is hard to turn. Harder to turn than the water temp. Wasn't sure if that's how these older type switches are or if it may need replacing?

o

Temperature switches simply move a set of points between a range of contacts, clicking lightly into the designated positions.

Water level switches are much more mechanical. Those that have discrete positions (not "infinitely" variable) typically have a cam with spaced notches cut into it, and a spring-loaded lever that drops into the designated notch for the selected level. Turning the knob forces the lever against the spring, up and out of one notch, then it drops down into another.

This switch seems to have five levels counting from the bottom of the cam clockwise -- 1, 2, 3, 4 notches, and the 5th hidden at the top.

o

Variable water level switches turn somewhat more smoothly, with a crescent-shaped cam, narrower at one end (low level) and wider at the other (high level). Small notches are finely-cut in the edge for the spring-loaded lever to follow, giving a graduated range of level choices instead of two, three, four, or five specific levels.

o

Thank you guys for this input. But I am a little confused. So should the water level switch on my MTW5700tq2 turn smooth or be tighter to turn. Or is there maybe a problem with the switch. Just wondering if it needs replacing. It doesn't cost a lot. Just not use to a washer with knobs. Loving the shorter wash times vs a FL

o

I apologize for my replies being overly technical. While I can't get a feel of your water level switch from here ... yes, it's normal for it to turn with more resistance than does the temp switch.

o

Well come on over and test it. Lol. Thanks Sadie's. you are really knowledgable Here is the photo of the one I got for 299. Actually 250. They delivered late and have me 50 bucks back. They had nice maytag Atlantis but I can't remember if they were any good. I think they're old. They wanted 200 each.

o

Dadoes. This daymn iPhone texting stuff I didn't mean lol

o

Control panel. Funny to see a "cool" temp setting. Anyone have an idea of how the extra rinse on this washer works? Do I manually select it after the cycle is over. Or do I choose extra rinse before the cycle I want? The owners manual didn't say how. Just to select it.

o

Cool is warmer than cold but cooler than warm. The machine has a sensor that modulates the mix of hot and cold for a specific temp on each setting.

You don't have a separate switch for Extra Rinse, so the Extra Rinse settings on the timer are manual. Set the timer there when the cycle is otherwise finished and the machine will fill, agitate briefly, drain, and spin. A rather much odd timer arrangement IMO.

Extra Rinse can also be used as a prewash by adding detergent, then reset to run a full cycle when the prewash is finished.

o

Fastone:Not to get off topic, but you have made my day with the texting/posting. When I saw "Sadie" in the reply I thought who is that, then realized it was the phone's work. That "auto correct" stuff ain't worth a dime.LOL Puts all kinds of things you didnt even type. Good to know it's not just me! HA Thanks...

Hope you enjoy the washer. Just put it on HIGH and leave it. A little extra water never hurts.

o

Lol sparky. Even at 28 I still can't get the advances in technology. What ever happened to the simple things in life, that we all got by with. Now everything's touch this touch that. Geeze. This iPhone I swear is smarter than me. Is that how it's supposed to be. Lol. I guess. You all make me laugh and happy! And I know I'm right where in suppose to be. Anyway I do love the old school washer. I did have hell with Electrolux. They bought my machine back for 994 and I sold it for 750 the other day as is. The control boards started going out again and I just said screw it. Find me a old top load. Never bought a used appliance and was so worried. Glad my master protection agreement was able to be put on this used washer. Sears said any appliance can have a master protection agreement as long as its not over 10 years old. So well see how long it lasts I wanna clean it out to make sure it's clean. I bought Lemi shine washer machine cleaner. Hope it works.

o

Maybe one day you will find the 50's(57 maybe you told me) Lady Kenmore you want!

o

I'd love a lady kenmore. One day I hope. Who made those lady kenmore?

o

Btw my friends new whirlpool TL 4800s water level switch is hard to turn and her water temp is easy to turn. Whew what a relief

o

LK made by Whirlpool.

Next time you are in a store around some washers, if you see one that has infinite water levels turn the knob and see how much different it turns. They are always easier. I wasnt really sure why till Dadoes explained how that works--he's the man!

o

Dadoes why would they make an extra rinse that you have to manually select after the whole cycle is over. Very odd. Also the control panel timing is different. But it should fit me fine at this point in my life. Also what sensor does this have to monitor th water temp? Because it doesn't have a heater.

o

Dadoes why would they make an extra rinse that you have to manually select after the whole cycle is over. Very odd.
Exactly as I said above that the arrangement is odd. Only advantage I see is that an Extra Rinse sequence follows immediately after each cycle, making for the slight convenience of the user merely setting the timer a slight bit forward to engage an extra rinse, instead of cranking it back around to the designated Rinse position within the cycle.

Also the control panel timing is different.
How so do you mean the "timing is different?"

Also what sensor does this have to monitor th water temp? Because it doesn't have a heater.
There's a temp sensor either in the water valve, in the fill spray flume, or somewhere alongst the way. A water heater doesn't have to be involved. It doesn't monitor the water in the tub, it simply monitors the incoming flow temperature while fill is in progress and toggles hot or cold on/off as needed to attain an average target temperature (average meaning the temperature may vary within a range of maybe 10F to 12F around the target). There may be a tech sheet in the control panel that specifies the target temp range for each setting.

o

Dadoes:Do you remember some of the Kenmore washers also had the same timer set up for the 2nd rinse/not sure if Wpool did this or not on their models. I wondered back then why it was like that. I just figured it was to keep from having to turn it all way back around if you wanted to re-rinse.?

o

Hi maybe someone can help me with this. My washer tub was like leaning and I called sears and the repair man lifted the tub and pushed it back and I heard it click almost like back into place. I asked if out of balance caused that and he said it was the delivery. So what did the tub fall off or what caused it to become this way?

o

Dadoes will have to answer this too.I dont know much about how the direct drive are mounted. I know with the older Maytags sometimes the tub would lean one way or another due to maybe level of washer, spring tension or load weight after spin stopped, but since yours is actually a Whirpool made washer not sure. I do know if your clothes get off balance very bad it will bang and walk if you don't correct it. I dont understand why manufacturers have gotten away from putting off balance switches on machines. Sears used to stop and buzz(loud) till you fixed it and actual Maytag machines just stop and the switch killed the power until you came and leveled the clothes.Old Frigidaire(GM) machines worked that way also. Sorry I went from tub lean to off balnce loads.

o

That's okay. I know these type washers don't have a automatic shut off when off balance. I do have a question. How much is this washer supposed to shake when in spin. Seems to shake a lot and I mean more than my lux front loader ever did. But it doesn't "walk". Love the short times and maytag told me today they replaced the motor and tranny. Looked underneath today because sometimes I don't believe it unless I see it. But the motor and tranny look brand new.

o

I wouldn't think it should shake. I have seen my nephews DD Kenmore running and it sat real still and no vibs and it was on a wood floor. I can remember reading something about vibrating DD models.Cant remember what it was. Maybe damper pads--I know the old Maytags have them, maybe new ones do too?? Just dont know much about DD models other than just load and go HA.

o

This is a "naked" shot of the machine base, and tub support with transmission mounted (but no motor). Not your machine's base, but one of the same design.

The tub support is the 3-armed piece that sits atop the pedestal base. The tub mounts to it, anchored by brackets at the ends of the three arms.

The tub support sits on a skate plate. The plate is supported by three nylon/plastic bushings on the top surface of the pedestal base, and is free to slide in all directions.

The triangular base of the tub support also rests on three more plastic support bushings which allow it to wobble.

Each tub bracket has a spring that anchors to the pedestal base. These three springs stabilize the tub and allow it to oscillate within a limited range. There's a 4th spring that anchors to the rear tub bracket and to the lower back rail of the base, which serves as a "counterweight" for the motor that mounts on front of the transmission.

The rear panel of the machine mounts to back of the pedestal base, and holds the water valve assembly, fill flume, and control panel.

The outer cabinet/top/lid mounts as an assembly to the pedestal, the lower front edge of the cabinet slipping under the front edge of the base. The cabinet is set into place and anchored to the rear panel by two strong spring clips which are under the control panel.

Mishandling of the machine, or unnecessary roughness, during transport can cause the skate plate and/or tub support to slip out of position. I suppose a spring could break loose in a very extreme situation. One (or more) of the plastic support bushings could break if the tub bounces up and back down with some large force. They also may wear down over time (years).

o

One more pic with the tub and basket mounted. The motor and pump are also in place at front of the transmission.

The machine in the picture is a Whirlpool Catalyst, which has an insulation pack around the tub.

The hose attached to the top port of the pump comes from the tub outlet. The hose to the household drain attaches to the bottom port of the pump and to the rear panel. The pump runs at all times when the motor is running. During agitation it simply forces water back into the tub instead of out to the drain.

There were a few direct-drive models that had off-balance switches ... the Catalyst (both Whirlpool and Kenmore versions) being one.

o

Thanks dadoes. Looked under the washer and found a plastic tab thing. Looked on sears parts direct and it's a suspension pad. It fell off during installation. It's not broke so I put it back on with a little force. Now the tub sits straight and will watch the next spin cycle for vibrations. Thank god I'm a okay handy man lol

o

When I was under the tub the bottom looked like it had a layer of soot. I used the washing machine Lemi shine cleaner. And later used a bleach solution and let it sit for 30 minutes both times. Doesn't look like it worked. What can I use. Looks like some mold there too. Was thinking of CLR? On another note. Switched to Gain powder with oxi, the new frizz something and I don't like it. Knew I should have got Tide powder vivid

o

Tide w/bleach powder is great. I Have a friend that had a service tech tell her if she would use Wisk Liquid she wouldn't have build up. He had to take the tub out of her Kenmore to fix it and she said it was awful but she thought a lot of hers might be Downy. Might be worth trying for a while and then look at the tub again. Have you ever used Sears detergent? My Mom used to used it all time back when she had a KM washer. It still is very popular and very reasonable($) when on sale. If you do decide to try Wisk and have a Big Lots store try there. I saw it there a while back for $3.50 32 load bottle.

o

The only way to properly clean the outer tub is by disassembling the machine for access to scrub it. Pretty much ALL washers, frontloader and toploader, will accumulate grunge and muck in the outer tub and on outside of the inner basket.

This is the aforementioned Catalyst before refurbishment.

o

Ew that is gross. Don't think I wanna take it all apart just yet. Have never done that before. Although it looks very simple. Is the black areas on that tub mold? Have you seen the Bissell carpet cleaners that use microban in their plastic tub that catches the dirty water? It's supposed to inhibit the growth of mold and bacteria, why wouldn't FL and TL manufactures use this? Is microban a spray coating or is it actually made into the plastic

o

Never used the sears soap. Have seen it and wanted to try it but didn't know to much about it. Ill have to get a box and try. My grandparents use to use that big tub of detergent from Costco. I can't remember what it was called. It smelled good if I recall. I've always used tide. But sometimes I like to try something different. I do use downy a lot but I make sure I mix it with water in the softener drawer or cup. The softener cup of this washer had a build up in it. I diluted some bleach and filled it with water and bleach. About 10 minutes later the downy was eaten off and was clean again. I use bleach when needed. A friend of mine has a TL wave force and she doesn't believe in bleach or any hard chemicals so she uses only seventh generation detergent. She bought some green works bleach for machines that I've never seen before. The ingredient was hydrogen peroxide. Reason I'm off topic is because her machine smelled so bad of musk and mold, couldn't see it, but smelled it. I told her to use a bleach wash, Lemi shine, CLR or vinegar and she said she won't use stuff like that She went on to say she will deal with the smell Yuk. Her clothes probably smell like mold. But anyway I know there's affresh, I've used in in the FL. Didn't really see or smell a difference. Thought it was a waste of money.

o

Okay one more question for dadoes. I was cleaning the fabric dispenser and I cleaned the dust cap. There was water under the dust cap. When the washer is empty there is no water in there. Only when it's full. Is that how it's supposed to be.

o

I recently bought a box of Sears detergent. Orange box. Ultra Plus Concentrated with Stain Fighting Formula. Cleans very well and makes no suds (great for HE machines). However, it does not have a typical perfumed scent. The scent is chemical-ish in the box and it leaves no scent on the clothes ... so people who want perfumed laundry probably wouldn't like it on that point, although using liquid softener (minimal dosage!) or dryer sheets is a workaround. Fabric softener nowadays is much more about the aromatherapy factor than softening.

o

I've not noticed or monitored closely on the machines I've owned/used. The maximum water level typically is slightly below that level and the cap has an o-ring to seal against softener leaking inside. Is your o-ring missing? Is your highest water level above the dust cap?

o

At max fill the water is a little above the dust cap. The deal is there. But the water doesn't seem to be coming in from the top. From the bottom when it fills. Also I noticed this sqeak of sorts when it agitates. It's like ek, ek, ek and so on. When the agitation slows down I barley hear it and when it's spinning I don't hear it until its done spinning and slows down. I didn't want to call them back out just yet. I can't figure what normal noises are with a washer like this. The tranny and motor are new. It kind of sounds like something needs wd40. But I'm not sure of its the new parts wearing in or something bigger. But it agitates just fine and I didn't over load it?

o

Lol I shouldn't be so picky for 250. Lol. Just new to this all over again. Had front loads since 2005. Now that its been on and have done a few cycles the noise is gone. Well see. Maybe it needed to warm up. It's been cold here lately.

o

Water can/will get in there from below if the level is higher than the cap. That level may be normal for your machine. The auger (technical name: clothes mover) may make some rattling, clicking noises. Some have a bit of grease on the cam/dogs, some don't ... grease can be applied if there is none but requires disassembly. Whirlpool sources a special "agitator grease" but I've used faucet grease to good effect.

Operating in very cold weather can thicken the transmission oil and cause (transitory) interference with the neutral drain function, resulting in a spin-drain ... more likely to happen on the first run when the tranny is cold, particularly if the wash time is short ... and will self-correct on successive loads when the tranny gets warmed-up.

o

I figured it out dadoes. The dust cap o ring wasn't sealed right. I filled the washer and the removed the dust cap and water started to fill. Somehow the dust cap seal creates pressure to keep the water from coming into that small space. So that's fixed. Now onto the noise. Just sounds like a chirp, chirp, chirp, when agitating. And slowing down from final spin. Moved the agitator and bottom plate by hand and no noise. Also the tub doesn't move when I try to move it. So I'm leaning towards the base Frame or something. It jus sounds like wd40 would stop it whatever it is. I just don't want it to be the new tranny or motor. That would suck. Heard that this washer has common failures of those parts.

o

Have you ever used FOCA detergent? It really works well too.

Dadoes:Didnt know some of the KM DD had off balance switches. Did they just kick off or did it still have the loud buzzer?

o

I've never true foca. I see it all the time. I didn't like gain icy fresh fizz I bought. Switching back to the new Tide Vivid. Also is the tide washing machine cleaner better than affresh? I used clr but I accidentally used the whole bottle 26 oz on a super sized wash load. Can this do any harm considering it was really dilluted?

o

I wouldnt think the CLR will hurt. The Tide machine cleaner does ok I guess. I have used it--it sure has a strong smell and I have used the affresh. From everything I have read I think they both are mostly the same thing as Oxi Clean. I have also used Washer Magic before. Like it just as well,and I did as you did I used the whole bottle. I did this several times--not like in a row but everytime I cleaned the machine. Then happen to read the bottle one day(duh) and it said use 1 cup unless machine was stinking and mine wasnt so I just started using 1 cup. I rarely ever clean mine cause I use bleach now and then and Oxi Clean other times so my doesnt smell.
From what I have read, the "New" Tide with Bleach(vivid) is just the same old Tide w/bleach just in a new box. Trying to boost sales I guess. You ever used those Boost Pacs? I havent tried that yet. I figure it is about like Oxi Clean?.
And The Foca does good to be so cheap--especially if you can find the phosphate formula. Do you have Save-A-Lot stores where you live? They have the phosphate version at my store. Wal Mart is non-phosphate.

o

Your just like me. I don't think it will work with just one cup. I need to use a lot. Lol. Probably bad for the machine. Saw a few piece of lime scale float to the top when using the clr. But it didn't get it all. We have foods co here like Kroger an they have foca. Ill have to see what kind it is. Walmart Carrys it too. I actually am using the tide vivid boost pacs now. I really like them and the smell that Carrys over. Like a fresh powder smell. They work really well. I've used oxi clean before but to me it's to harsh. It always would fade my clothes fast. I use the tide because it had good reviews fr consumer reports and was ranked number 1 detergent. Also like the smell and is the only detergent that ever seems to work for me. Have tried the arm and hammer liquid. Didn't like it at all. And the gain, don't like it Think its cos it's now cheaper it has less cleaning agents. I don't know?

o

Here's my current laundry stash. What's yours?

o

I was using the pods in the Lux. But now I'm bak to the powder for the top load and I like it. Just picked up the tide vivid powder tonight and it smells fully. Like the smell of the gain icy fresh better, but the tide vivid suds up more per scoup than the gain did.

o

Smells funny. Daym iphone

o

Yes the Tide/bleach powder cant be beat(original scent)but for the price the Foca is really good as is the Sears, but as Dadoes said it does have a smell in the box but really none after the cycle. I agree on the Oxi. I have noticed when using it in towels and line dry them they are stiffer than when not using Oxi--at least for me.

I will have to try the Vivid pacs. Glad to know they have a good smell.

I like to use Cheer Powder for colored loads OR I have used the Tide coldwater liquid and it works very well. I have used Cheer Fit liquid a few years back but then they stopped making it. I think it actually transformed into Tide Total Care but I could be wrong.

Have you used any of the Biz pacs or the Clorox 2 pacs?

o

Never used biz or Clorox. Always been a fan of Clorox 2. Just expensive for a little bit. I wanted to try the cheer or whisk but I wasn't sure how well they'd work. I use to use the total care, but I went through it so fast. Saw a new tide liquid with lasting impressions scent. But wanted to stick with the powder. Next time I run out ill try the sears brand. How much is it for the box. I think it was around 17 dollars when I saw it. How big is that box? I heard the target brand detergent is good. But I tried there liquid fabric softener and its been turning my whites a dingy blue. So I'm just using it on colors until its all gone.

o

At one time, year or two ago, Wisk was #1CR pick for reg. top load machines. Yes the same time the Wisk did good,CR also rated the Up&Up really well--the liquid. It is dual formula best I remember. I have never used it myself.

Sears comes in two sizes 120 load and 180 load in the orange box. Try to watch for it for half price. Some of the Kmarts carry it. Mine doesnt but you can order OR go to Sears and tell them it is on sale at Kmart-they can check it on site and they honor price. A month or so ago Kmart had the 180 load for $9.99.

Fabric softeners: I like Downy Free but also tried Suavitel Aroma Sensations Lavender. Seems like it makes clothes less wrinkled when you get them out of the washer because I dry very few clothes I wear. That is one thing I really miss about the old top load machines is the Perm-Press cycle. They may use tons of water but the clothes were less wrinkled. I know you have to use slow spin which I do but still seems like the newer machines just wrinkle more.

Also like(so-so) Method FS Aloe/Water Lily. Smells fine if clothes dried in dryer. If hung outside they smell fishy/or possible wet dog smell and I cant take that so...

o

Which machine do you have sparky? I dry usually everything in the dryer. When it gets cold here the clothes would never dry. I've used seventh generation detergent before, but the powder started to create a white build up in the machine and only the Lemi shine cleaner would get it off. But then a couple of loads later it would come back. So I stopped using it. I will check my Kmart, I thought I saw it there one time. My grandparents used the Costco stuff in the big tub, but I think it's changed or they don't carry it anymore. Because I think it's a Kirkland brand now. But I haven't been to Costco in years.

Now why did they stop putting phosphate in everything? Like cascade and other stuff. And the foca that has it, how can I tell which one and what's the benifits of it having phosphate

o

Dont know why but I didnt get the pic and a couple of your responses until this morning. They were in between where we were talking--anyway--I really like the Tide bleach original scent. For me it is just a very clean smell--this is after they are finished. I do not care for the Clean Breeze at all--too sweet. Have used some 7th Gen before but it was liquid. Did ok but had to watch amount--wanted to suds a lot.

What I have now is Cheer powder, Foca powder,Tide powder he,then the softener and clorox and some Oxi Clean. I put mine in rubbermaid type bins with a snap lid and can stack them. Just works better for me--especially the Foca cause it is in a bag.Oh also have Coldwater Tide liquid he and All free/clear liquid--used to use this all time without change.

The phosphate thing is enviromental problems it causes in lakes and creeks/rivers. They stopped using it in detergents (clothes) years ago and then dishwasher detergent(unless it is commercial) back in 2010(?). The Foca will say phos. free on the back. Of course if it has it in there it will list it in ingredients and doesnt say phos free. Mine has the phos in it. Made in Mexico then sent here. I am sure that will be eventually stopped.

Sometimes it is hard to find the Tide/bleach he powder. Wal mart will be out--that is why I got the Tide HE powder last time but I like it also. It has a good smell. Dont like the pods. Tried those-did ok but not crazy about the scent(spring something).

I have a Maytag Neptune 4000 that is 12 years old. Had trouble with the door lock burning out the board about a year and a half after I got it. Maytag fixed it and extended my warranty for 6 months. Have never had another problem(knock wood). I know they really got trashed by a lot of folks that had them but I have liked mine ok. If it stopped I have no idea what I would get next. I better shut up--might jinx it. It will be fine with me if it last another 20 years. LOL

o

Did the photo show yet? I will look for the foca today. We have some Mexican markets here that sell that and Ariel and the Spanish downy that smells good. The laundry mat next to me that I've had to use a few times has those maytag neptunes but the commercial ones. I swear everytime I went to use one they all smelled of mold. I swear they never clean them. So I never really used one. I use the bigger machines when I have too. I had a maytag Neptune mah9700aww when they first came out and couldn't stand it. It walked around the room during the spin cycle and also smelled of mold really fast. Bought it and the matching dryer in 06 and sold it in 09. My friend I sold it to still has them and loves them and have had no problems.

o

The pics came through.They were here this morning. I have heard about the other Neptunes having issues vibrating--they were Samsung made if I remember correctly. I leave my door open so I dont have any mold or smell.Mine has never walked or anything--it has that balance ring around the tub. Now I think about all manufacturers are using that now. At one time, I read reviews where the LGs were bad for vibration. Then they went with the ballbearing ring and fixed that problem.

Maybe you can get the Foca. It is blue powder--kinda like Cheer used to be. May have bluing in it? The phosphates helps soften the water so the detergent cleans better.

o

Yes my Neptune was made by Samsung and I hated it. It started to not want to spin so at the end of the cycle the clothes would be soaking and then I'd have to re spin and wait and wait and wait. It just sucked. I didn't have another 30 minutes after the cycle was over to wait for it to figure out how to spin. Called maytag and they had sent a new board and sensor but the problem remained. My friends still have the same issue with it to date. My lux started to do the same thing and thy sent out boards and sensors and door locks and all this stuff and I just had enough that's when Chris Polk said he'd buy the machine back for 974. Basically they just bought the serial tag back. And I kept the washer to do what I wanted with it. Sold it as is and am happy with this maytag TL I have now

o

Okay this may sound dumb but I was doing pillows and I forgot these don't have a auto balance shut off. I heard banging and went outside and the washer wa hitting the sides. So I tried to re arrange it and it still banged. I ended up throwing dry towels into the load and it was fine. I know these washers get off balance and so bang the sides. But can that cause any damage to the machine. I totally forgot about the balance issues on bigger items!

o

Dadoes can tell you more than I can there, but I would think that if it went on long enough(banging) it could break something. Good thing you heard it and stopped it. I have never had any luck washing pillows in a top load. Always bunch up unless they are down. You may just have to take your pillows to the laundry and use a front load for those and maybe big comforters. That is one good positive(among others) for Speed Queen TL.They spin anything without a lot of problems.

I bet that banging got your attention! LOL

o

Well the first ore rinse when it spins the water out before rinse I didn't catch it. But I thought I heard something. Anyway when it was going into spin it started banging. And I adjusted and it did it again. Then I added dry towels and it was fine. Just wondering what it could damage. Buy anyway sears comes we'd to see what the squeaking noise is. The rear feet have like sunk and fallen apart and the delicate cycle wasn't advancing so I think the timers out. Hope they order the right parts this time.

o

Found the foca at the Mexican store and it said phosphate free. :(

o

Sears been out to check your washer yet?

o

Yes sparky, actually he just left! Good timing. He took the cabinet off to listen and everything sounded fine, no noise of corse when he checked, he did notice the water level switch was cracked where it hold Ono the faceplate. So he ordered that, also the timer was sticking at the delicates cycle and he ordered that. He also ordered two new rear feet. When he took the cabinet off I was disgusted. So much filth on the upper inside of the tub. So gross. He wiped it all down and it's clean now. Thank god that was nasty. He said the tranny and motor sounded fine and agitated just fine. When he put the cabinet back on the noise was gone. Did a few loads and the noise is not back. We're guessing the cabinet was loose or not on right creating this squeak when agitating Phew. I am relieved. New parts on the way too free of charge under my master protection warranty.

o

I am going to try and clean my washing machine again. I bought bleach. So how many cups for this top loader and a super size load, just water? How long can I let it soak without damaging the drum My Electrolux said to use 8 cups of bleach for the cleaning cycle. And I thought that was a lot of bleach for so little water. But another sight I read said to use a quart of bleach for a top load. I'm confused.

o

Well, 8 cups=1/2 gallon so maybe use a gallon of bleach to the full tub of water.
Dont think I would use any more than that.

Glad you are getting the timer and the feet. Maybe all will go well now. You will just have to stay out of the laundry room now so you won't be hearing any "off" sounds LOL....

I do understand you, when I have "new" things seems you notice every squeak or creak whether it is the washer or car. I can say, that as time goes on I get to where I care less. I never listen to mine anymore unless I just happen to go in there for some reason when it is running--but then mine is 12 years old so if it has squeaks I guess it has earned them..!

o

Hi sparky. I get that way to with new things. Never bought a used appliance before so it just had me thinking of the past history. And how it was take care of. It's actually in really like new condition. Other than the nasty upper rim of he tub. Still grossed out lol. The maytag dealer had two maytag Atlantis used and they were nice but looked older. They had a bigger tub that mine does. But the look of mine looks new, newer, still shiny? Lol.

8 cups of bleach seems a lot for a front loader. I only used 4 1/2 in the maytag today. I added the 4 cups. Then filled it up just to where the fins on the agitator start, then I let it sit for 10 minutes. Then I selected he medium sized load and let that sit 10 minutes. Then selected the large load and let that sit 10 minutes. Then finally filled and had it agitate on the delicate cycle, restarting it twice so it agitated for 10 minutes. The drains and rinsed twice. Hope that killed whatever junk was hiding. Saw the tide washing machine cleaner at CVS for 9.99 and I was like screw that. I'd rather buy a bottle of Clorox for 1.79 and get a better depper clean. Tried to find the Clorox washing machine cleaner, but couldn't. Researched what the Clorox washing machine cleaner was made of and had the exact same chemicals as the Clorox bleach, what's up with that? So I called the CLR place and sled about CLR in a washing machine. They said that the recommend 1/2 cup to the washer, but no more than 1 cup. She said because it can "change" the finish of the drum. She didn't really answer me when I asks how long I can soak it for in the machine. I know with Lemi shine you can soak it in the machine for 4 hours, but every time I use Lemi shine In the dishwasher the damn racks start the rust. It seems to harsh to let sit. I don't know what to use anymore. I'd like to take the tub out as deep clean it wih a brush, but i don't want to tear into the machine like that just yet!

o

I am not a fan of Lemi-Shine. Really think it has to do more with my water than anything. I tried it way back in the DW in the cup with the detergent--back when they first stopped the phosphate thing. Left my stainless interior dull(odd) and the dishes felt rough. I didnt use it but maybe twice and decided that wasnt for me. I have well water and it is med/soft so guess I didnt need it to start with.

The bleach should have all the gunk killed in yours even if it isnt all rinsed out yet. I dont know that I would undertake removing the tub to get the gunk out. If I did that chances would be real good I would no longer have a gunky machine--probably have to buy a new one from goofin up the other one. LOL But that is me! I wouldnt worry about it if it isnt stinking. If it stinks have Sears clean it out. I have read that Whirlout will cut all that out of front loaders but I have never tried it. Made by the folks that make the Washer Magic but used for hot tubs. At one time LG was telling people to use it to clean the tub out. That might be worth a try for yours. Also Smelly Washer--read where it causes the build up to turn loose and wash away.(after a soak period)

You ever add any Borax or washing soda or baking soda to your detergent?

Think you did best by not getting the Atlantis. Have heard they could be trouble prone. Built on the Norge platform best I remember. You needed and "old timey" Maytag. HA Seems they run forever.

What kind did you grow up with or do you remember?(brand)

o

I actually don't remember what machines they were. My grandparents had them. I remember they were dark brown and then years later they got almond colored ones. But I can't remember the brand at all! We had a kenmore when I was a teen growing up with my mom. But I remember it always having to be fixed because it would leak from the pump or something. When my mom passed I gave them away and bought the maytag neptunes mah9700aww. First front load I ever owned. I loved it but it started having problems, like everything I own. Lol. They had a recall because the main control board was catching fire or something. Called for the recall and all they gave was a gfc I think it's called that, to plug into the wall and the washer into that. They at the time had the new boards but refused to put a new one in because the gfc would "fix" the problem. What a lie. It only prevented it, didn't fix anything. Then I sold them in 09 and bought the maytag performance series washer and dryer. The top of the line ones. I think the 9000 series if I'm right? Well the glass door fell off the washer one day and shattered. It didn't want to spin ever. Steam stopped working twice in 3 months of owner ship. Called maytag executives and they only offered me 40% off a new maytag washer and dryer set. I said screw that because I just paid 1000 each less than three months ago. So I sold them as is a few moths later in 09 and I bought the kenmore elite FL. I think the 42192. Was a BIG improvement over the maytags. Only lasted a year and a half and was mde by LG. the tub/ spider broke and sears had ordered parts under the master protection warranty. The parts came broke. The tub and outer tub. So I called sears executives and they offered me a replacement of my choice up too 1600 dollars. So that's when I got the Electrolux last Christmas. Till it started to not spin and its boards kept taking out other boards and Electrolux exchanged the unit two times. Then said they were sending me machines with known problems. What a joke. So Chris Polk said he'd buy the machine back for 974. So I took it. Like I said he basically bought the serial tag. So I could do what I wanted with the washer, all warranties voided. I sold as is for 750. So altogether I got 1724 back. When my original sears purchase was the kenmore elite for 1200 at the time in late 09. So I actually came up on 524. So having 1724 I thought I could buy a real nice machine, right? Well I wanted that new Samsung touch screen or the whirlpool vantage. But I had to really think. I was tired of 1 hour Cycles, tired of waiting for the washers to figure out how to balance for a spin. When I would set the washer say for an hour cycle, I want it done in an hour. And the FLs time would always change and add up to 20 minutes trying to spin. And sometimes would never spin. Then the cycle turns into a 2 hr cycle. So pissed I wanted to kick, hit, punch the machines. I swear they were doing this on purpose. So I decided to look into used machines, with an agitator and a full basket of water. Best choice I've ever made! Spent 250 on this maytag and love it, plus the 1,474 and some change I go to pocket! It all worked out for me.

the sears tech says he has the exact same machine I have but the whirlpool one and he said its the best machine to have. He said any part can be replaced in under 30 minutes. Even the tranny. He said the arts are cheap and are built better than the ones of today's washers. He also went on to tell me that when the gov started this energy star crap that its created so many problems for manufactures and the machines. He said the washer I have has basically had the same design for the past 28 years until they stopped making them.

o

MAH9700 Neptune was sourced from Samsung. Not the same as the "original" Neptunes MAH3000, MAH4000, MAH5500, MAH6500, and MAH7500.

o

Hi Dadoes. I'm guessing by the way you put that it means the Samsung ones were junk. Now when I bought those back in 06 they were still made by maytag correct? Because the sears tech said maytag is not longer around, that in 06 whirlpool bought the name. So he said there's not " true" maytags still being made.

o

Dadoes. To remove the lime scale or build up what's the best to use. I have another bottle of CLR. The scale is on the bottom of the plastic outer tub. I don't really want to take the tub out just yet todo it, but what can eat at it? CLR has worked for me in the bathtubs and on the scale on the glass shower doors. I was thinking of filling it with hot water on a small cycle and adding 2 cups of CLR. Problem is I don't know how long to let it soak, or is safe enough? Any ideas?

o

If you're saying that you bought your MAH9700 in 2006 ... no, that model was not made by Maytag then, never was. MAH9700, MAH8700, and MAH6700 (note the 7 in the models) were made by Samsung from the get-go of introduction.

The original Neptune design, the five models I listed, were the only Neptune frontloaders designed and manufactured by Maytag. The ill-fated Neptune TL (toploader) was also a true Maytag, the last in-house (re)design they produced.

Whirlpool bought Maytag in 2006, yes. Maytag production did not cease immediately. A bit of time is required to wrap-up that kind of thing and segue the production to Whirlpool. Sometime in 2007 Maytag toploaders became Whirlpool direct-drive machines, such as the one you have now. The Maytag Epic frontloader was Whirlpool's Duet that had previously been sold under the KitchenAid Ensemble label. KitchenAid laundry was discontinued and Maytag was positioned as Whirlpool's premium brand.

MAH5500 and MAH6500 were the last Neptunes on the market, which extended into 2008, IIRC. My neighbor bought a MAH6500 from Lowe's just a few months before they disappeared. I refurbished a Neptune MDE5500 dryer in Nov 2007 that he found via FreeCycle. I think it was summer 2008 when he decided to get a matching washer before they were gone.

o

Thanks for that info. It was a nice design. But a bad washer.

So dadoes what do you think of a CLR soak in the tub? How much and how long is safe? Also the tub in my mtw5600 is black with white speckles. What kind of tub is that? Is it rust resistant. ?

o

Just tried the left over tide pods in this for the first time. I used 1 tide pod and 1 vivid boost. On a load of towels. Not a lot of suds like when I use one scoop of tide powder. So I'm wondering if I'd need two tide pods in this TL that uses a lot of water vs a FL I was using these pods in. Still like the powder for a TL like this vs liquid or the pods. Just thought I'd share the photo. Doesn't look like there's a lot of cleaning power there IMO

o

Forgot to load the photo!

o

Does the water feel slick? If so I would say you probably had enough. Plus the less suds the better the rinse-Right!?

o

Sparky I didn't feel the water. I will next time. Took the cabinet off because the inside of the cabinet was very very dirty from previous owners. A little windex and elbo grease did the job. Didn't take before and after photos but did take one of it with out the cabinet. You've all probably see this before. But the upper rim of the tub was so nasty with black mold film. The sears tech wiped it out with tide and water, but I don't think that killed any spores. So today I hand wiped inside the rim with bleach and a rag. Also after I put it all together I got another thing of Lemi shine washing machine cleaner and let it soak for the 4 hours per directions. I actually let it sit without having to look every few seconds. There was lots of lime scale that started to float and I looked under the tub today and it looked very clean! Guess patiences pays off!

o

Looks spotless!!OCD got the best of you so you had to dismantle--partly anyway! LOL

Glad you got all the mold and the CLR worked on the bottom.
Bet it smells fresh...

o

Sparky your right. After I saw all that junk an mold when the cabinet was off, it just bugged me to the point where I had to clean it myself with something stronger. The CLR did work and the last soak of Lemi shine. The outer tub is now white again. I think the water valve is going out. The warm and cold water come in fast. Hot water is slow. Funny how sears will replace anything on this older machine by my word of mouth. As before with the Electrolux, I would tell them that the control panel lights wouldn't work sometimes and they told me they'd have to see into replace it. Guess with older machines they don't care?

Good for me thought because basically all the boards or electronics will be new. Really am enjoying the fast cycles. And the ease of maintenance I can basically do some of the depper cleaning myself. As with the frot loaders there's not much to be done.

Also one thing I like about this washer is it has high and low agitation for the main and regular wash cycles. Basically the agitation is fast the first half of the cycle and then automatically slows down for the rest of the cycle before the rinse. Also loving the spray rinses (two) during final spin.

o

Glad it is clean and you are enjoying it. I have used a Kenmore DD before but it washed the fast speed the whole wash cycle which I actually like. To me if you have many clothes in there when it is agitating slow the turnover just stops. But on theone I used you had to use the Heavy Duty to get the Fast agi. If you used Normal it agi. slow the whole wash which wasnt worth a flip I thought. JMO I also am not a fan of "neutral drain". I feel like all the filth off the clothes settles right back on top of them--there again just my ideas.

I think some of this comes from growing up with Frigidaire machines which had solid tubs, used overflow rinses and plenty of water--then slung that water out in an instant and the clothes were next to dry when they came out. If they still made those I would have one still. Think this is why I liked the Maytags because they spin the water out, plus they have a spray rinse after the wash that is 1 1/2 minutes long,(mine was)that way the rinse wasnt as soapy. Just what you get used to. There is nothing today that can compare to all the old stuff, especially the old GM Frigidaires.They outcleaned anything--of course that is my op.

o

Honestly I'm new to the neutral drain! I'm use to the fancy powered pumps and recirculating jets lol. I'm actually starting to question if maytag put a new tranny in or a rebuilt one. Sometimes when the washer goes to drain it spin drains. Like it doesn't neutral drain all the time. And today I went to wash a small load and forgot to put clothes in. When I came back I heard this grinding noise. Like 3 times during the empty wash. When I put clothes in the same cycle the noise went away. I tried to make the noise happen again just to see if I was hearing it right and it only happens on a small empty load. The medium empty load and large do not make that noise. Looked at the agitator cam and none of the teeth were broke. So I'm clueless. Isn't the spin drain a symptom of a bad tranny?

o

Bet the noise in washing is the agitator. Its just cause it was on small and it swirls around so fast(top portion one way) makes it do the noise.

I think the ND fail is something in the trans. but from what I have read it is an easy fix--Dadoes can tell you all about that. One thing I do know about those washers, if they are draining and you open the lid--when you close the lid it causes it to go into spin right then even if the tub is full of water. If you are having timer problems it might have something to do with that. Maybe it is possible the washer skips drain and jumps to spin sometimes??

o

Well I noticed it happens sometimes. The washer will stop washing or rinsing and then I'll hear a big click an it will go into spin drain. Then when it's done it will stop and then start to spin normal. I guess I'll have call sears back out to check. I think maytag rebuilt the tranny. Because the bottom of the gear case has some rust spots an if it was new I doubt any rust would be there. Washed another load and no grind noise. I thought it was the cams stripping or something.

o

I think the agitator barrel vibrates or something from turning so fast with no pressure/resistance on it when it makes the noise. When are they supposed to replace your timer? If I had a warranty I would get them to do the trans. Surely they would just replace it with a new one.?.

o

Hi. They will be here the 26th. Sometimes that's why I hate sears repair because it takes almost 3 weeks to get the repair if needed done. Because I called them 1 week ago to come out. Then they said it would take a ten day turn around to come back out. I'm pretty sure they'd replace the tranny, but I'd have to make another service call for that.

o
Quick reply

So it does this?

http://youtu.be/ielZsKtlUAw

o

Yes it does that. Exactly. Doesn't happen every load. Also happens at either first rinse or last spin. And last night the small load I had going I heard grinding like 3 times. I forgot to put clothes in and that's when I heard it. When I added clothes to that load the noise was gone. What could that of been

o

Saw you were on AW.com posting the vid to the noise the washer makes. I couldnt get it (the link) to work. Well it would open but when I click to watch vid it goes to a page says cant be found? Dont know if it is my comp or something with the video? Just thought I would tell you.

o

Hi sparky. That's weird. When I click it it works. ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Washer noise

o

Worked! I listened twice but I didnt hear anything out of the norm to me. Seemed pretty quiet for DD. My Aunt has a newer Kenmore DD one of the last made and that thing is really loud--much more so than the earlier models. Dont know why but it is.

o

Did you hear the squeak squeak. It came back. I'm wondering if the cabinet is rubbing on the frame. I don't know. Sometimes the agitation is really loud like clunk clunk clunk. But when the sears guy took the cabinet off and had it running it was quite. I think because the cabinet has no insulation that it makes the noises twice as loud. I'm just gonna leave it alone for now and just mention to sear when they come on the 26th about the neutral drain, spin drain problem and see what they say! At least it's washing and I should enjoy it. Although the water level temp has now broken completely and just turns inside the panel. So I've had to leave it on the super wash for now.

o

Dadoes or anyone who can help. I'm trying to find when my machine was made. Dadoes sent me a tech sheet but it looks like it was for revision 0. Mine is revision 2 and I can't find the info for it. In the service tech it said the U in the serial number means it was made in 07. My serial number is CW3440856

o

34th week of 2008.

o

Saw you are trying for a "Vintage" Maytag set. Great price and you should love them. Nothing like a TRUE Maytag.

Also if you are going to replace the tub in the DD Maytag, why not change it to stainless steel instead. Some of those machines have SS Tubs--the higher end but sure they are the same size.

o

Hi sparky. Yes I found a vintage maytag set. However they haven't emailed me back and I have no way to pick them up. About an hour away.

On the washer I have I've seen on sears parts direct they have a white tub that will fit mine. No SS. Now is the coating on the white tub thicker than the blak tub with white speckles?

o

I wouldnt think so. I wouldnt change out tubs unless the machine started leaving rust on the clothes and that shouldnt happen if you will unload it soon after it stops. I would check on some more places for a SS tub. There has to be one that will fit I would think since similar models to yours had them.

o

A full-white basket does have a slightly heavier final coating. All porcelain baskets have more than one layer of coating. Speckled versions are lightly-sprayed with the final white coat ... thus the speckles. It doesn't make much difference on the end result and durability, they're all susceptible to eventual rusting.

W10006327 a stainless steel basket, sourced via model MVWC6ESWW1.

o

Ya I kind of thought that the steel tubs would rust. It hasn't been on my clothes as far as I can tell. Sears comes tomorrow to install the rear feet and timer. I'm going to have them if they will replace the tranny. It's still spin draining. Also the hot water started coming in slow. Cleaned the valve filters did not help. I'm almost done with my powder tide. So I will be buying cheer soon! How was your thanksgivings? I was stuffed and a little to drunk off the free tequila at a friends. Lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here