Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could Charlie's Soap be weakening fabric?

Posted by eligain (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 18:38

I started using Charlie's Soap (both powder and liquid) (mostly liquid) since we first got our front load LG in 1996 and I have noticed my clothes and other washables wearing out prematurely and fabric becoming so weak it just tears. At first I blamed the front load washer even though they keep saying that front loaders are gentler on clothes, but now I wonder if it's the detergent and since I've been only using Charlie's I have to wonder about it. We never had this problem with our top loader and I never used Charlie's in the top loader, only Tide and Cheer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could Charlie's Soap be weakening fabric?

I have had a FL machine about the same amount of time
as you. Have not noticed premature weakening.
In fact, just the opposite.
Since I can now select the appropriate cycle for the various
fabrics, I think my clothes are lasting longer.
I have used various detergents.

o

THe main problem I'm seeing is that the cloth the clothes are made from seems much thiner and cheaper.
I can go to the store and put my fingers under a T-shirt and see through it. jeans don't seem as thick as the used to. I think this is the real problem. with clothes wearing out sooner than previous.

o

I agree about some clothes and fabrics now being cheaper but I am noticing very hardy fabrics breaking down faster than they did before I was using a front load washer or Charlie's Soap. Thick jeans for instance, good sheets. Me and my mother bought sheet sets about 7 to 8 years ago and hers are still looking good (she still uses a top loader and Tide. Mine have since disintegrated and I have had sheets last me 20 years or more before! So something is happening since I got this LG 2277 front loader.

o

Don't know much about Charlie's Soap, never used it ... but vaguely recall that a large proportion of the formula is washing soda(?), which can be harsh.

o

It is the Charlie's in my opinion. I had the same issues when I started using it. Almost pure washing soda in that concentrated pool of water at the bottom of your washer seems harsh to me. In my opinion, Charlie's does nothing to protect colors or any fabrics in the wash.

Yes, clothing and such are not made like they used to be. You definitely get what you pay for these days!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here