Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stockwatch_gw

Front Loader Washer = No Mold; Does One Exist

stockwatch
13 years ago

I think I finally have gotten tired of looking at the mold around the gasket of our Whirlpool Duet that we purchased at Lowes back in 2007. I have talked with Lowes about replacing the gasket (as many of you all know, it is apparently not under warranty) and figure with the costs to repair, I might as well buy a replacement (yes, I have tried blease, Affresh, etc. to no avail).

The world has changed with much more marketing gizmos and an abundances of other suppliers.

Question for all of my wise forum family members.

Have you found a front load washer that survives the no mold test or is this just a pipe dream?

The salesman at sears told me that in his "expert" opinion, Samsung model that happened to also be the most expensive does the trick. You just need to remember to keep the door cracked.

Comments (100)

• User
    7 years ago

As someone suffering from a mold/mildew problem in a front-loader washer, I have to say after reading these posts that the typical user here is full of obnoxious hubris. "Well, I have that washer and I don't have a problem, so you must be the problem."
    Absolutely unhelpful. And I realize this post was from 6 years ago, but if it comes up in Google search top 10, people are still reading it. Front-loader washers have mold problems. I don't care if you don't think it's there... you are probably wrong. There are articles after articles posted at this point and even class action lawsuits.

And in response to the "cost" of maintaining, it is alarming how much a door boot (gasket) costs and at the point of a 5-10 year old machine, it is not worth buying a boot and replacing it.

Finally, if you are one that has said "Well, I leave the door open and the tray open and I never have a problem" - You are doing something that you shouldn't have to do in the first place because there IS a problem. DUH.

• suburbanmd
    7 years ago

Look at my posts from back then, and you'll see that I'm sympathetic to what you're saying. I do believe there are some bad front-loaders.

That said, have you tried all the recommendations to avoid mold? Keep the door ajar (sorry). Do frequent hot washes, and the rest mostly warm. If the hot water supply runs cold for a while when the cycle starts, run a nearby faucet to flush out the cold before starting the machine. Use powder detergent instead of liquid. Avoid really cheap detergents, and use an effective amount of detergent, not the miniscule quantities recommended by some people, even technicians. Avoid fabric softener. If you've cleaned the machine, then followed these recommendations, and mold comes back, then maybe your machine is hopeless.

• suburbanmd
    7 years ago

One more thing: Avoid the "normal" cycle because it generally uses the lowest temperatures and least water.

• dadoes
    6 years ago

"Shannon Pringle: I use a measured tablespoon of tide ..."

Tide liquid or powder? Liquids are known to promote mold accumulation with some water conditions. And 1 tablespoon may not be enough for every load.

• livebetter
    6 years ago

You need enough detergent to actually suspend dirt and allow it to wash away. If body oils etc deposit on the outer drum you can get biofilm that mold thrives on.

• littlegreeny
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Shannon, it sounds like your water chemistry plus liquid Tide might be the issue. First, I'd try switching to Tide powder and see if that solves your problem. My SIL was using liquid Tide and had issues with FL stink. She switched to liquid All and the problem disappeared.

• Shannon Pringle
    6 years ago

Sorry I wasn't clear, I use powder because of the previously mentioned reasons/research. I've landed on a tablespoon because I notice suds around the gasket if I use more. I have done a lot of experimentation, different detergent, borax, baking soda, washing soda.

• littlegreeny
    6 years ago

Shannon, try running the clean cycle with no laundry or any cleaners, bleach, etc. If there are suds, you have residue which can cause odor issues.

Do you use any laundry boosters? Borax is a great natural booster and may actually help keep the mildew smell at bay.

As a last resort, you might need to do a strip of your laundry to get rid of the excess detergent and hard water residue and start from scratch.

• dadoes
    6 years ago

I use 3 to 5 tablespoons of Tide HE powder in my HE toploader. Well-water, no softener, but I add STPP. Some mild to moderate suds during the wash period is not to be considered a problem.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

As far as **noticing suds around the gasket** HE detergent is not suds free...some suds is not an indication that you've used enough. I have soft city water I use between 3to 5 T as Dadoes does. Yes I'm going to have some suds but that normal unless your using Rosalies Zero suds detergent.

As others have said if your not using enough detergent your machine will get the grunge. I would follow your manual as for a clean cycle using bleach. Also use bleach water to scrub the gasket.

My Duet is yet young. A yearold, but I do tons of laundry and it looks and smells as sweet as it was new.

• ci_lantro
    6 years ago

Is the washer in a humid basement? Do you run a dehumidifier?

Have you tried cleaning the washer & gasket w/ a quaternary disinfectant?

• Shannon Pringle
    5 years ago
    Hey! I know it’s been a long time, but someone liking my first post reminded me to update. Because of some of the comments above, I started using more detergent and oxiclean, and by-golly it worked! No more stinky clothes!
    Of course, right after I got it sorted out, we ended up putting that washer and dryer in our rental and I am now using some old school top loader while I remodel my basement, while my brand new Samsung washer (couldn’t find any bad reviews anywhere) waits in my garage, still in its packaging, just ticking down its warranty time.

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks for the help!
  • HU-381178092
    3 years ago

This has been really helpful - thank you! I think i'm off to buy a top-loader now as we discovered today that mould is ALL OVER the inside of the rubber part (I only thought it was a small portion!) of my machine :( My new integrative doctor tested me suspecting mould poisoning (really expensive and came back positive) because of all the really nasty symptoms that I have had (that I went to her about) and have gotten worse the past 9 years! Now I'm having to start mould elimination diet/treatment. The symptoms are real (including nasty neurological ones - including tremors) and we've been thinking all along that I have MS! :/

Don't have mouldy washing machines folks, PLEASE get rid of them - don't even pass them on!!!

Have a read if interested:

https://healinghistamine.com/blog/the-mold-histamine-link/

• dadoes
    3 years ago

HU-381178092, don't be fooled into believing that toploaders can't accumulate mold. They absolutely can. Here are some pics of a few I've cleaned up.

• anoop
    3 years ago

@dadoes What would cause that mold? Is it something in the water that makes mold formation more likely? When I live in NC, I don't remember every worrying about or encountering mold. Since moving to CA, every apartment or house I have lived in seems to be very susceptible to mold.

• doreycrouse
    3 years ago

dadoes, thank you for posting that!

I have used TL machines that smell far worse than my FL!

• vinmarks
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I had a top loader that looked worse than the pics dadoes posted. We had to bring the whole tub into our shower to clean it. It was caused by me not knowing much about laundry and washing machines. They had cold water detergent so hey we don't need warm or hot washes. Never used bleach because we had no whites. I don't even know if they had washing machine cleaner back then or not that I knew about so never did any kind of clean cycle on the washer. Now I know better.

• fordtech
    3 years ago

A hot wash a week will keep the heebie Jeebies away. I use powder detergents and no fabric softner in the wash. I started this method 15 years ago and have not had a repeat of the goop that formed in my front loader when I used exclusively cold water and liquid detergent and liquid softener for 4 years. It was a horrible mess you dont want.

• PRO
    Landscape Design in a Day
    2 years ago

There are three places to clean for the typical rubber \gasket on a front loader....that you can reach t clean each time you use your washer. You cannot clean the back side of the last rubber rim that is right next to the exterior drum (the place where your clothes go). If you live in a moist place eg the pacific northwest and you have a front loader washer you probably have mold. You just can't see it and luckily for you, you and your family are not having any obvious health problems from it. Lots and lots of people are not so lucky. I bought two of these one for each property I own and nope I didn't do the maintenance they recommend but I never left the door shut on my front loader. Today I have mold in the washer, in my laundry room, in the clothes that are next to my skin, every sheet and pillow case for 2 homes. (1 I rent out or will rent out once I get a new washer) Everyone in our house has health problems that are probably related to the mold, including our dog. I was trying to be environmental so I washed in cold water so maybe if you used bleach every time and hot water and hand cleaned the 3 places you can reach it would not as bad as my situation. I will replace this product at both properties once I am done with mold remediation. We the consumer wanted to do the right thing for the environment. Front loaders save half the water of a top loader. I was so excited that I could do something that big toward saving water.

Now I have to laugh....because otherwise life is just too weird....When we purchased this appliance I decided I would not read the appliance booklet or do the maintenance it recommends because my partner never does..so in a fit of pique I didn't read it either. There was nothing in it to warn that their design was guaranteed to cause mold and mildew unless you treat their washer like another pet or child in your family. But if I had followed their instructions I could have washed a load of laundry in hot water at least once a week and used their wash the machine program once a month. That would have been better than putting my head in the sand. In my defense. I made my purchase several years ago and the serious mold in a front loading washer was not well known at that time. Although now I see I missed out on my $20 or whatever from a class action suit, one that closed in 2015 and 1 in 2017.

• luna123456
    2 years ago

All of the EPA, Green, Eco Nazis telling you to wash in cold water have zero care about hygiene for the humans using the device and the machine itself.

If you want to reduce your water consumption buy more durable clothes and dont chase fast fashion. Creating cheap textiles that chase fast fashion wastes significantly more water and resources than washing durable ones.

The health of yourself and your family is not worth worrying about using less water or less energy. Wisdom comes with age and experience. Younger people tend to dismiss the hard learned wisdom of those older than them. its not until we are older that we learn certain difficult lessons.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink.

• andersons21
    2 years ago
    • Never use any SOAP. Soap and its residues promote mold & bacterial biofilms.
    • Use hot and warm water (except for wool and silk). Very hot for bedding, if possible.
    • Don't use vinegar. Low pH promotes some microorganisms.

I've had my Whirpool Duet front-loader about 12 years now, and it's still pristine. I almost always use Hot or Warm wash, and Extra Hot for bedding. I use liquid Tide, and more recently, Sal's Suds + baking soda for darks. I always leave the door ajar. I used to dry the gasket thoroughly (including reaching inside it for the water that pools there), but in recent years I noticed that I don't have to do even that. The heat from the dryer running in the small room and the powerful vent fan on the ceiling get the machine dry enough soon enough.

The Duet manual prescribes monthly extra-long extra-hot cycle with Affresh (which is basically the same as OxiClean), but I haven't needed to do those at all either. Might as well use the heat to get our bedding and clothes really clean, instead of using cold all the time for fabrics and then a super-hot wash just for the machine itself.

People complain about "mold," but there are many microorganisms that form nasty biofilms especially with soap scum residues. We used to have horrible slimes form in our shower because my partner insisted on using bar soap. After switching to liquid body wash, which uses detergents that don't form scums with the minerals in hard water, NO MORE SLIMES. Some of the slimes were molds, others were bacterial. Even though we never have the discipline to squeegee or dry off our shower walls, no more molds or slimes have formed in years now.

I notice the OP mentioned using a lot of vinegar. I don't recommend vinegar; it might leave a lower pH residue that is hospitable to some microorganisms.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

A clean boot and no odor is a positive indication of good condition but there's no way to be 100% sure on the exterior of the inner drum, support spider, and interior of the outer tub without disassembly.

• jejvtr
    2 years ago

My Miele is 16 yrs old - I leave door open, AND take the soap dispenser out after every load. Wipe the gasket all around in nooks and crannies on occassion - Clean soap dispenser - inside machine and externally - Occasionally see small spots black mold in past 2 years - never stinky odor -

• anoop
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@jejvtr did you ever have to replace the gasket? BTW I had biack spots on mine when I wasn’t wiping the gasket dry. I also run a sanitize cycle with Affresh every now and then.

• pizzamoon
    last year

I realize this is a really old thread, but I thought I'd throw my own 2 cents in. One of the biggest differences between the days of old, when top loaders were the only choice available, 1. powder detergents and 2. bleach and 3. hot water, was a regular part of people's laundry regiment.

4. Laundry day was also once a week. All contributing to a cleaner dryer machine.

Nowadays, ppl are using lower temperature water, liquid detergents (which has starches in them to THICKEN them, more fabric softeners w more gummy starches, or the pellets of scent beads which are basically WAX candles, everyone is afraid of clorox bleach, bc of environmental regulations, machines are programmed to use less water, also doing mostly cold water washes....and everyday is laundry day. The machine never gets to dry out, and the films built up on machines. Once mold starts, its very difficult to remove.

I've been using front loader for 2 decades, and mold was an issue to some extent when I was using liquid detergents, but occasionally I also used bleach, and I was much too lazy to use liquid softners, which minimized the mold problem. About 8 years ago, I switched to Tide w bleach alternative powder. I never close my door...bc lazy. I never thought about it, till now, but I no longer have mold issues at all. Except when I did a short stint of liquid fabric softner and discovered mold all underneath my dispenser. I now no longer use it.

So I believe the changes in consumer habits drivien by marketing and enviromental regulations have changed the enviroment of our washing machines to be more favorable to mold and bacteria, and it doesn't matter if its a top loader or front loader. I have a neighbor who uses liquid detergent and fabric softer w a top loader and she washes everything in cold water to save energy and money, and I swear, when ever her family sweats (our kids are the same age and use to hang out together,) I smell the mildew. It's even in the clean towels she handed me.

If you have mold, do several washes w bleach, also spraying it down and wiping the machine with it AND you will probably need an ozone machine set to disinfect your house of mold and bacteria bc the spores will be everywhere in your house and once you wet the machine, problem will come back.

• dadoes
    last year

PizzaMoon, you are spot-on. The changes in laundry habits over the past 20 years are the primary contributing factors to moldy washers. Softeners in the past were marketed for softening fabrics with scent an added benefit. The proliferation of scented products nowadays are an attempt to combat the foul odor.

• luna123456
    last year

One simple change: use a machine with an onboard heater and do a 60C (140F) wash at least a couple times a week. We do them daily for towels and whites. Never a mold problem and we use 100% liquids.

Routine hot/sanitize washes will keep a machine clean without chlorine bleach. Oxygen bleach in hot water does a fantastic job of killing mold and bacteria as well.

• pizzamoon
    last year

Yes, hot washes are a given especially for towels and sheets, and I have an onboard heater, however I think the mold issue severity can vary from home to home. I live in a building that is almost 200 years old, and lets just say the air circulation isn't great and the previous tenant was super green.

• Shannon Pringle
    last year

I only use hot water, sometimes use bleach, use oxiclean, etc. It still smells on my dark clothes sometimes and the only thing that helps is to cross my fingers and run a cycle with some bleach, this is with my 3 year old machine that has been babied since I got it.

I had gotten my first machine (the one I originally posted this about) to not make my clothes smell anymore (I hadn’t been using enough detergent apparently), but I moved the unit into my rental and despite me giving the tenant a rundown on how to keep it good, it was disgusting again when he left. I now have the unit as an airbnb and I have been doing everything I can to get the washer back up to snuff. It doesn’t make sheets smell, but I also take them out the second they are finished washing. I hate laundry so much these days.

• pizzamoon
    last year
    last modified: last year

Mold and mildew is tough, once the spores are in your house, it's everywhere and it lands back onto sheets and towels, when you do your next wash, it's back. Try and sanitize w an ozone machine in the apartment and with the darks, try Lysol Sanitizing Rinse (It's not disinfecting, so i assume a stronger concentration over a longer period of time would be more effective.) I use Tide w alternative bleach powder for everything except the darks, and those I use Lysol Laundry Sanitizer. Perhaps do a soak after washing. The spores arent' just in the machine anymore, it's in the air too.

People who don't have a mold problem are lucky. We live in a really humid city w no central air, it can get pretty bad w just a window a/c unit which I constantly have to disinfect regularly.

• hisown
    last year

I have ALWAYS kept my washing machine's door wide open. I use ONLY powder detergent and I use citric acid powder and white vinegar in the fabric softener tray. As a result, I have NEVER had any mold.

• Steve S
    last year

Most washers with a sanitize cycle will heat the wash temperature between 140° and 160°. This is sufficient to kill most of the mold species provided the temp is sustained for at least 25 minutes.

One of the reasons why Europeans have fewer problems with this than we do is that they plug into 230V vs 120V for most of us in North America. European washer have a higher capacity heating element built into the washer and can use the extra voltage to quickly raise the water temperature up to 99 C or ( 210° F ), just shy of boiling temperature. Europeans don't usually use bleach in laundry like us Americans do.. they just use really hot water to kill the germs. And heat is generally more effective than bleach in this regard.

Also according to Consumer Reports, the mold in your washer is usually coming from your clothes. Mold being everywhere in the environment spores will land on your clothes and inevitably make their way into the dark moist confines of your washer. It's about as unrealistic to not expect mold to grow in that environment as it would be to expect a self cleaning mold free shower.

So far that's how I keep my Miele clean... frequent use of the hot sani-cycle. And I always wipe out the drum/gasket and leave the door open to vent after use.

Again, heat is really the key consider the other appliance in your house that should also be a breeding ground for mold and yet generally isn't.. the dishwasher.

Having said all that I wonder if it's possible for them to make a metallic copper washer tub? Since literally nothing bacteria, viruses nor mold/mildew can survive more than a few hours on this surface.

• millmacc
    last year

For those who don't have black spots on their gaskets, consider yourself fortunate, nothing more. I am still searching for a front loader that won't have this problem. And yes, I ALWAYS leave the door open, dry after every wash (which I really don't think should be necessary), and tub clean and use hot water cycles.......... I have replaced the gasket twice- myself so cost wasn't a huge issue, just my time. I do have an LG model that supposedly is extra bad at pooling water but am not sure what model to try next that will be any better.

• vinmarks
    last year

I've had electrolux and now LG and neither got/get a moldy gasket. The LG has a drain hole in the gasket. I do always leave the door open. With my electrolux I would always dry the gasket after use. I've been lazy with my LG and rarely dry the gasket and still no mold.

• littlegreeny
    last year

The key is to dry the gasket (especially the bottom) at the end of each wash day and leave the door ajar. I take a few extra minutes to also remove the dispenser tray, wipe it down and wipe out the cavity. Leave the tray out while the washer is not in use. This will also help keep the machine ventilated. My washer looks brand new.

Any standing water will invariably lead to mold build up.

• anoop
    last year

I do the same as @littlegreeny and have a Miele, but my machine doesn't look new although it doesn't have black spots either. (If I don't wipe the gasket dry, I do get black spots.) It might be the detergent that I use (Sonett), but to really get the machine clean, I have to run a cycle with Affresh every now and then, or I see some build up of what appears to be soap scum mixed with microfibers.

• millmacc
    last year

My LG also has a drain hole.

• Trapped
    last year

I had no mold issue with my 15-year-old Bosch. I always took out the detergent dispenser and dried the cavity and the gasket and left the door open. I'm doing the same with my new LG, so I guess time will tell. I've had it close to a year and so far no issues.

Almost all of my washes use powdered detergent. I don't use fabric softener and I add an extra rinse or two.

I wonder if some people are having issues because they don't have AC and live in a more humid climate.

• millmacc
    last year

I have plenty of AC! and use powder detergent- usually homemade (borax and washing soda etc) but also the more eco friendly ones -Charlie’s. I wish doing “all the things” kept mold off my gasket! it is disheartening to see that pretty new gasket develop those first spots. And who knows how much gunk is on the rest of the drum that we cannot see- or reach.

• dadoes
    last year

Those homemade and eco detergents aren't always so beneficial as people believe.

• anoop
    last year

Any opinion on Sonett?

• millmacc
    last year

I tried them as ways to combat the mold and our allergies. don’t use liquid, don’t use powder, use vinegar, don’t use vinegar. etc they say! 🙄 And I have never used fabric softener.

• armjim
    last year

millmacc, I wonder if it is your water supply. I know where I live in TX there is so much limestone and the water is extremely hard. Even with a water softener there is more buildup than I would like. I have kicked around installing a whole home water filtration system. We have a filter on the refrigerator and I notice the difference in taste in water from it versus other faucets. We do have a water osmosis system but I have never really delved into why they installed it since it seems to be only at the refrigerator and kitchen sink.

• fordtech
    last year

I think reverse Osmosis is for purification, filtration, especially cooking and drinking water. Softners condition the water for bathing, laundering, spotless dish washing, spotless rinse car washing, reducing hard water deposits etc.

• armjim
    last year

fordtech typically only the indoor plumbing gets connected to W/S and filtration systems here. I'd love to have my outdoor faucets run through the softener; one of our vehicles is black and it is pretty much impossible to wash at home because of the water spots.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    last year

You CAN teach old dogs new tricks.

Thank God this post wasn't deleted.

• S H
    last year

Check out the GE fresh vent front loader. It has a cycle you can run after that is specifically designed to dry out the washer to prevent mold (it’s not fast, I think it’s 8 hours, so I run it after the last load). I haven’t had mine long enough to testify to the success long term, but it seems to do what it advertises.

• dadoes
    last year

Some Whirlpool models have a FanFresh option that tumbles the load (intermittently?) with a fan running to circulate air through the drum for up to 12 hrs after the cycle ends. Some Maytag models have the same function although called Fresh Hold and runs for up to 16 hrs. There's also a Maytag model with Fresh Spin that tumbles the load but without a fan for air circulation.

• elizabeth_eclectic
    8 months ago

Just found this post! I’m having serious issues even with drying the boot and wiping it down. Just yesterday I got a flashlight out and I see mold on the back side of the rubber boot rim that is right next to the exterior drum. This can’t be cleaned unless I take the whole front of the machine apart. Ridiculous! Thank you Whirlpool. My daughter has mold poisoning and this may be the cause. @Landscape Design in a Day what did you end up buying?