Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajspark_gw

Need to replace under-counter FL set

ajspark
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've enjoyed the garden forums for a long time, but this is my first time in the laundry forum.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. In '97 we purchased a Frigidaire Gallery front-loading washer and dryer set that had removable tops, and we installed them under a counter in the laundry room. They've been GREAT and we've been very happy with them. Over the years we've had to replace various knobs and other little things that were relatively easy to take care of, but now the washer is getting really noisy during the fast spin and hubby thinks the bearings are going out. So I've been looking for replacements.

I'd like get new ones that are basically the same as these -- they're each about 27" W, 34 5/8" H, a bit over 24" deep - perfect! The washer has a 2.7 CF capacity and a stainless steel drum. But I'm getting really frustrated -- the under-counter units are either no longer available, or too high, or ridiculously expensive.

Does anyone have recent experience with front-loaders that will fit under a countertop? We don't want to tear out the counter over the laundry pair (part of a 10' counter that also includes a laundry sink) but we don't want to buy something that fits the space but isn't dependable. Both positive and negative feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)

• clubcracker
    12 years ago

What about the Bosch Axxis? The capacity is slightly lower but the size is right there. I think I've seen a smaller ASko set in my wanderings too...

• ajspark
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply clubcracker. I saw the Bosch W&D while searching earlier, but they are smaller capacity and the dryer only comes in an electric model (sorry, should have said "gas dryer" in my original post) - and the Asko W&D fall into the "ridiculously expensive" category. Just not sure what other options there are, though. I'm starting to get mildly depressed.

I'd still like feedback from someone who has recently gone shopping for and purchased an under-counter set.

• cryptandrus
    12 years ago

I'd still like feedback from someone who has recently gone shopping for and purchased an under-counter set.

I have a similar space constraint and bought a Miele W3033 18 months ago and I absolutely love it. It gets everything amazingly clean and is very quiet. A joy to use, really.

It was expensive though. I was very lucky in that I was able to buy a floor model for (only) $1590.

I decided to keep my old gas dryer and that helped a lot with the cost. Would that be an option for you?

Hope this helps.

• mrb627
    12 years ago

Is this similar to the machine you have?

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Washer

• mrb627
    12 years ago

Here is a Frigidaire badged machine at Sears.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frigidaire FL

• ajspark
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Appreciate everyone's feedback!

cryptandrus, that's an option I hadn't considered. After a bit of checking I don't think the Miele fits the budget - hubby says the dryer should be replaced, too, since they're both 14 years old. But thanks for the suggestion!

mrb627, the GE and the Frigidaire are both practically identical to what we have, and would be perfect! I saw the Frigidaire models a couple days ago and tried to order the washer from Sears, but it's not available within 300 miles of us so they wouldn't process the order. I didn't realize the GE washer was the same machine - it sure looks like it. But I can't find either the GE or the Frigidaire washers anywhere locally, both discontinued - boo!

Now I'm tempted to order them online. Does anyone have experience with an online company (i.e. AJMadison.com) that they could recommend? Aack, I must be reaching the "desperation" stage!

• mrb627
    12 years ago

If you are gonna replace both machines, wouldn't be a good time to see about raising the countertop a couple of inches?

MRB

• ajspark
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmmmm -- I guess that could be an option. I'm only 5'3" and the 36" counter height already stretches me a bit when I reach to the bottom of the laundry sink (it's a deep sink where I hand-wash everything I won't put in the dishwasher, and the draining rack is on the counter over the W&D). But I could probably live with that. It's certainly a less scary scenario than ordering something online and then having to return it!

• geguymw
    12 years ago

ABElectrolux made this washer under their Frigidaire and Gibson brands, plus for Sears Kenmore and GE. I have the FriGEmore(Kenmore) version. It has been going strong for about 10yrs. now.

I was just in a Sears Outlet about two months ago and did notice some of these models. I think it was Frigidaire branded. If Sears discontinues an appliance, they may put them there. They had quite a bit of the discontinued larger Kenmores(LG) models. If you really want that Frigidaire, then take the drive to visit one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears Outlet Locations

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I was just lamenting this same thing. Then I went to Houzz.com and saw several pictures of how the counter is simply elevated as it transfers to the higher washer and dryer. That way the sink counter top would be the same as is then there would be a slight 3 inch bump up to the higher counter for the W/D. This isn't exactly what I mean but couldn't find the exact picture that would be a continuous run of counter. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: [raised counter for laundry pair[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/no-2-contemporary-laundry-room-san-diego-phvw-vp~89798)

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

Well, I found a little better picture for you of the same room but showing the sink. HTH

Link below

Here is a link that might be useful: [View of raised counter with sink[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/no-2-traditional-laundry-room-san-diego-phvw-vp~89796)

• lee676
    12 years ago

Frigidaire makes several machines that are 36" tall, 27" wide, and about 27" deep not including protrusions - 2 or 3 inches less than common for new larger machines, and the same height as the appliances you have now before the top was removed. Such as this one (FAFW4221LW) which appears to be the least expensive that has an internal water heater (very desirable), and much larger capacity and door opening than what you have now; they also have a matching-size dryer. I don't think the top pops off this one, so you may need to raise your countertop about an inch. If that won't work, they also have one that's exactly the same size as your old one, but it's no better than what you already had (and if you go that route, there's no point in replacing the dryer since the "matching" dryer is almost exactly what you already have).

There used to be GE- and Kenmore-branded equivalents but I don't see them on their websites anymore.

• ajspark
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the additional suggestions, everyone. gr8day, that's an awesome laundry room!!

I've been just sitting here stewing about my situation for several days now, and have decided to get someone to remove the "lip" from the section of the countertop over the W&D, which would give me a full 36" height for new, available (!) machines. There's a 10% off promo at Home Depot going on right now, and I'm headed out the door right now (tape measure in hand) to see what they have. I'll let y'all know how it comes out!

Thanks again for all the feedback!

• VKKPKK
    12 years ago

I have a similar situation. My front loading, under the counter 7-year old frigidaire just broke. Apparently there are not a lot of options for this mid-size.

You should look at the "Frigidaire HE 2.7 cu. ft. Front-Load Extra Large Capacity Washing Machine -FTF530F"

The other brand is Whirlpool WFW9150WW 27 4 cu. Ft. Front Load Washer - White

I am not researching dryers - but presumably both these models have a matching dryer.