Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
QUIET stackable washer/dryer for 2nd floor?

Posted by overhear (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 11 at 17:11

I was thrilled when our architect found an extra few inches so that I can install a full-size stackable washer/dryer in our 2nd floor hallway closet.

Now I'm just overwhelmed by all the info in the forum posts. From what I've read the manufacturers seem to still be benefiting from brand-loyalty they cultivated way-back-when when the machines were built to last decades.

But unfortunately for those of us who are buying in 2011, it's a confusing world. I started thinking Whirlpool Duet, then read bad reviews here and went on to Bosch -- until I saw that Consumer Reports panned the 300 for noise/vibration problems -- not good for a 2nd floor closet.

People seem gaga for the Mieles, but they don't carry a full-size stackable unit so I don't have to lose sleep over whether the extra $$$ would be worthwhile.

So, what to do? Can anyone recommend a full-size stackable unit that is *quiet* and reliable. I don't mind paying a little bit more for quality and reliability, but I don't need anything fancy or lots of different options and settings.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: QUIET stackable washer/dryer for 2nd floor?

Given your requirements, I would go with a Speed Queen set.

o

I thought I read that speed queen was not good for 2nd floors/upper floors? I am in the same situation as op so will watch this with interest. I don't have budget for miele am considerIng Bosch LG and ???

o

I might be putting too much stock in Consumer Reports, but their ratings for the Speed Queen models (Speed Queen AFB50R and AFN50R) for noise and vibration were very low. Do people have experiences to the contrary?

Any other models that might fill the bill?

o

The Speed Queen machines are very nice. But quietness isn't something that concerned Speed Queen when they designed these machines for the commercial market. I have a set and they are about as quiet as the LG's they replaced.

MRB

o

I have a second floor laundry closet and own Whirlpool Duet w/d. They are extremely quiet and when I close the door you cannot hear them in the next room. As for reliability, I've had them for 5 years without a service call. I would recommend them based on my experience.

o

I second the whrilpool duet w/d in second floor. we have the same and the noise level is manageable. The only issue i had was carried over from the old owner so may be user related. Other then that whoever see this w/d loves it.

o

The biggest problem you may or may not have is the construction of your home. There is always going to be some vibration from a stacked set, much less a regular side by side. If everything is very solid, you are probably ok but if the structure is at all bouncy it will translate into the walls and be loud.

There are any number of things you can do, and there are any number of options for washers but the structure will be the limiting factor.

o

Check out stackable Samsung with VRT (Vibration Reduction Technology).

Here is a link that might be useful: Samsung VRT

o

Although there are many bad reviews around the web, my personal experience in a similar situation had led me to purchase a Whirlpool Duet. While there are a lot of bad things said about this unit, I have had mine for a good 3 years without any real problems. Also, I find it to be a very quiet unit overall - perfect for a hall closet in my opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stackable Washer Dryer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here