Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smelly towels

Posted by xiach (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 16:38

I live in an 5 unit apartment with laundry downstairs. Lately my towels have been getting really smelly after just 1, 2 uses. What can I do to get rid of the smell? We have a top loader commercial washer...I wash my towels with hot water and powder detergent.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smelly towels

Continue using hot water.

You can safely use chlorine bleach 5 minutes into the wash cycle. Wait at least 5 minutes to allow the enzymes in detergent time to do their job (bleach kills the enzymes).

When using chlorine bleach on color towels in your top loader, use the bleach dispenser or mix bleach with a quart of water and pour slowly into the wash (as washer agitates if possible).

On colored towels you can use 1/4 to 1/3 cup of bleach without ruining the color.
On white towels, 3/4 to 1 cup is OK.

I've use this practice on black clothing with no damage at all.

o

You could also try a prewash with your usual detergent & hot water followed by a regular wash with your usual detergent & add ~1 cup of white vinegar about 1/2 way through the regular wash cycle. Make sure you remove the towels promptly after the cycle ends and dry thoroughly. This has done the trick for me.

You could also try adding some Borax to the wash cycle + your regular detergent. Others have sworn by it, but it's hard to find in my area.

Hope this helps!

o

When I had a top loader, I used borax and it did the trick on our smelly towels.

Cj

o

Thanks, I think I will try the bleach and if that doesn't work ill get some borax. I was able to find some on amazon. What if I use color safe bleach?

o

Color safe bleach is not the same as chlorine bleach.

Chlorine bleach kills bacteria and mold which is making the towels smelly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here