Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

3 prong shock

Posted by buddy50 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 14, 11 at 16:11

Went to test a new 3 prong plug to see if it fit right and a big shock came out. There is a little burnt mark on the receptacle and a spec on the plug only one one prong. did this happen because it was not attached and grounded to anything? Can it still be used?? New regular maytag coming wed. Guy at the store said this would fit so i tried it anyhow. The other plug is like 25 years old so the new 3 prong is the same but a spec bigger?. Yikes I'm sure many people do not know not to plug a dryer plug in if nothing attached at the other end?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: 3 prong shock

Call an electrician right away. Do not plug anything into that socket until you have it checked (and replaced). This is how people burn their houses down.

RE: 3 prong shock

It is very bad to have a three prong outlet with no ground wire attached to the outlet in the wall. The reason you got the shock and the burnt spot was because something shorted out when you plugged it in.
The advice from oregpsnow is absolutely correct. Do not attempt to use this outlet until a qualified electrician inspects it AND the cord of the appliance you plugged in.
Who installed the outlet?

RE: 3 prong shock

think you are missing the issue. It was new new 3 prong plug NOT EVEN attached to the dryer. So what happened when I plugged it in or before I got that far there was a short. What happens at the other end there are 3 wires with metal ends that eventually would go to the dryer. They were touching each other so that most likely caused the short plus they were melted to gether after the incident.

RE: 3 prong shock

Of course the loose ends would cause a short if they were touching. Toss the cord, buy another, and DON'T TEST IT as you did the first one.

RE: 3 prong shock

Have no idea why you would do something so foolish. Your cord is toast and the outlet itself may be compromised.

Inasmuch as you obviously have little knowledge or experience with this, please hire someone who knows what they're doing to inspect and/or repair the outlet and advise you how to proceed. 220v is not something for someone without knowledge or experience to mess with.

RE: 3 prong shock

Oh, I get it now. You plugged in a cord to see if it would fit and the end opposite of the plug had three wires connected to nothing. The wires at that end touched and caused the short?

Next time you do something like this make sure the power to the outlet is turned off first.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here