Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (18)

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

When I do a search, it would be really great if the results shown were the actual posts that have that word, instead of the entire thread having to be read, in order to find what I am looking for or that one comment that has the word I have searched.
    Thank you. :-)

• georgect
    11 years ago

Ummm..."we've been sprucing up the site a bit".

What? What are you talking about...nothing has changed at all since I became a member in 2002.

If you are making changes then you are not making changes be known. If we don't know about them, then they don't exist.

Why don't you send a mass e-mail about all these changes because I haven't seen one yet.

• chance1
    11 years ago

To the Webmaster,

I agree totally with Georgect. What changes are you talking
    about? I see NONE! However, I could suggest that you:
    1. Take a look at automaticwasher.org. Now that is a Website
    that is very well run. And their Webmaster is constantly
    making changes to improve the site for its Members!
    Also, there is no Advertising on this website to deal with!
    2. Also it is a royal pain on this website to deal with all
    of this dam advertising that constantly keeps popping-up.
    It interferes with your reading. All of a sudden the words start moving then pops-up from this site do you want to leave a comment. Put a comment icon on here for those who wish to comment. Then you have to deal with all of these
    constant drop down ads, that too, interrupts your reading.

Since I have been looking at this website for years I have
    seen a definite drop in people posting here. Truly Sad.
    So hopefully you the Webmaster will start making some truly
    Obvious changes for the Betterment of this Site!!!!

Chance1

• dadoes
    11 years ago

GeorgeCT & Chance1

1) It's only one "obvious" update ... but a picture can now be uploaded directly into a post on GW. The upload function doesn't appear until the preview screen and the picture must be reattached each time a post is edited/previewed until final committing, but it does otherwise work nicely.

2) Using Mozilla Thunderbird with a couple ad & pop-blocker plugins, I see zero ads on GardenWeb.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Oops. I said Mozilla Thunderbird. I meant Mozilla Firefox, of course, LOL.

• curiousshopper
    11 years ago

Personally I think the 1997 look of GW is part of its charm.

:D

• georgect
    11 years ago

dadoes if by "obvious" you mean that everyone was made aware of this added feature (posting pictures) or something stood out and grabbed your attention...then no it was not obvious.

And for some reason the owner of Garden web decided to add this feature out of the way (so you don't obviously notice it).
    It's NOT near the "Optional Link URL" field or "Name of the Link" field or "Check here if you would like post replies emailed to you" box, which have always been there.

No, it's floating above the whole "Post a Follow-Up" form...out of the way so you don't even see it.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

I meant "obvious" (in quotes) in that the function is there to be seen if one looks in the right place ... as compared to behind-the-scenes code changes that can't be seen at all.

Posts that have pictures are tagged with a camera icon, so there's another indication that something has changed.

There have always been Gallery sections on select topic areas (Laundry Room and Kitchens, for example) that take photo attachments.

• georgect
    11 years ago

dadoes I think you hit the nail on the head with "the function is there to be seen if one looks in the right place".

We as users of this site have no clue of what changes to look for. Where are the "right places"?

It's like hide and seek...the webmaster of this site knows of the changes that they made but we as the users don't even know where to begin looking for ANY changes.

I did notice the camera icons first but that only gave a hint that the thread may have some photos in it.
    The option to upload photos must have been a recently added option because it wasn't there when the camera icons popped up out of no where.

It's NOT at all obvious when you look at this site through the eyes of the user as compared to the site developer/webmaster that is making the changes.

Hey,gwAnnouncements let us in on these changes so we can use the site more efficiently...please.

• dave1812
    11 years ago

would love ability to EDIT my posts! :)

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

The ability to "tag" (metadata) threads.

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

Ditto what Cavimum said.

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

All Gardenweb needs to do is implement vBulletin to create a killer chat board. If they did just that, which only costs a couple hundred bucks, the software would be far more useful and could be accessed using dedicated apps on the iPhone and iPad.

Why Gardenweb would want to continue developing this lame, proprietary web site is beyond me. Cut your losses and get the same software used by almost all other web sites that have message boards.

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• georgect
    11 years ago

@Tamara

I don't get it!
    The only thing I see on the right side is "Adds By Google".

I don't see anything called "My Clippings"...and why would you call it that anyway? That makes no sense.

Why doesn't is just say "Edit Post" like every community forum?

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@georgect - I now see the "Edit Post" in the described place, on posts that I have made.
    I think "my clippings" is for those who want to create a separate file of information taken from various posts, sort of a One Note type clipboard?

• georgect
    11 years ago

@Cavimum...
    If you're talking about "clippings" not "My Clippings",(the words "My Clippings" doesn't exist).
    I've always thought that was advertising and never clicked on it.

I always thought it was an advertisement for a coupon web site. I actually never read what was under the word "clippings" because it was so tiny. It looks like advertising.

In stead of "clippings" how about "Post Options"...now that would grab your eye and MEAN something.
    A lower case word off to the side makes you think it's not part of the post (I never thought it was).

Although I love the discussions on this site, the format is the most outdated format I've ever run across.

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

@georgect,

"sshrivastava" has it right. This is a quirky forum that does have its charm, but it is really Web 0.1 alpha material. ;)

Question: Will be able to edit past posts or only posts from the time this new edit feature was implemented? Is there a time window on editable posts?

This post was edited by fahrenheit_451 on Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 10:51